Trying to delay second oscillator with Poly Mod

LoboLives

Trying to delay second oscillator with Poly Mod
« on: March 26, 2016, 08:11:40 PM »
Hey all I'm still discovering how to use Poly Mod and I'm trying to recreate the patch that was used in Who's To Blame by Jimmy Page for the Death Wish 2 soundtrack. I've asked how to recreate it before and it was suggested I try using Poly Mod and delay the second oscillator. I've fiddled around with it and still can't manage it. It has sort of a gliding rise on each note. I'm guessing detune the second oscillator up but how do I delay it and get that rise?

Re: Trying to delay second oscillator with Poly Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 09:00:05 PM »
Hey all I'm still discovering how to use Poly Mod and I'm trying to recreate the patch that was used in Who's To Blame by Jimmy Page for the Death Wish 2 soundtrack. I've asked how to recreate it before and it was suggested I try using Poly Mod and delay the second oscillator. I've fiddled around with it and still can't manage it. It has sort of a gliding rise on each note. I'm guessing detune the second oscillator up but how do I delay it and get that rise?

There's no way to delay oscillator 1 if that's supposed to mean that oscillator 1 should start later than oscillator 2. But that's also not what you need. What you need to do is to assign the filter envelope to oscillator 1's frequency in the PolyMod section so that oscillator 1's pitch starts to rise an octave with every key stroke. So activate the Freq 1 button in the PolyMod section. In the filter envelope section set the attack approximately to 12 o'clock (that defines the speed with which the pitch is rising), you can leave the decay time at zero, since the pitch shouldn't bounce back, and set sustain to the maximum level (this affects at what frequency the pitch of oscillator 1 is going to be held). Make also sure to set the release time to the maximum value, since you don't want the pitch to bounce back to a lower frequency after you release the key either. You can still set the appropriate release time for the overall sound with the VCA envelope.

At its maximum value (set by the sustain knob), the filter envelope will affect the oscillator pitch to rise 2 octaves (if you turn the filter envelope knob in the PolyMod section fully clockwise). That's not what you want. Instead of adjusting the sustain value of the filter envelope (choosing a lower value will only cause the oscillator pitch to fall after the attack and decay phases, which is not what you want either), you will set the intensity with which the filter envelope is going to affect the pitch of oscillator 1. You do this in the PolyMod section. Like I mentioned above, a full positive value will cause the oscillator pitch to rise 2 octaves. So you need to find the value between zero and fully clockwise, which will equal one octave. Turning on oscillator 2 will help you adjusting the pitch by ear. And that's basically all you need to do. After that do some fine adjustments with regard to the time it should take for the pitch to rise (attack knob in the filter envelope section) and find an appropriate filter setting for the overall sound. The filter doesn't seem to be modulated by the envelope in this example, so you can ignore the according filter envelope amount setting. And I believe the oscillators are saw waves. So that should basically get you there. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:03:23 PM by Paul Dither »

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 02:50:19 AM »

There's no way to delay oscillator 1 if that's supposed to mean that oscillator 1 should start later than oscillator 2. But that's also not what you need. What you need to do is to assign the filter envelope to oscillator 1's frequency in the PolyMod section so that oscillator 1's pitch starts to rise an octave with every key stroke. So activate the Freq 1 button in the PolyMod section. In the filter envelope section set the attack approximately to 12 o'clock (that defines the speed with which the pitch is rising), you can leave the decay time at zero, since the pitch shouldn't bounce back, and set sustain to the maximum level (this affects at what frequency the pitch of oscillator 1 is going to be held). Make also sure to set the release time to the maximum value, since you don't want the pitch to bounce back to a lower frequency after you release the key either. You can still set the appropriate release time for the overall sound with the VCA envelope.

At its maximum value (set by the sustain knob), the filter envelope will affect the oscillator pitch to rise 2 octaves (if you turn the filter envelope knob in the PolyMod section fully clockwise). That's not what you want. Instead of adjusting the sustain value of the filter envelope (choosing a lower value will only cause the oscillator pitch to fall after the attack and decay phases, which is not what you want either), you will set the intensity with which the filter envelope is going to affect the pitch of oscillator 1. You do this in the PolyMod section. Like I mentioned above, a full positive value will cause the oscillator pitch to rise 2 octaves. So you need to find the value between zero and fully clockwise, which will equal one octave. Turning on oscillator 2 will help you adjusting the pitch by ear. And that's basically all you need to do. After that do some fine adjustments with regard to the time it should take for the pitch to rise (attack knob in the filter envelope section) and find an appropriate filter setting for the overall sound. The filter doesn't seem to be modulated by the envelope in this example, so you can ignore the according filter envelope amount setting. And I believe the oscillators are saw waves. So that should basically get you there. Hope that helps.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot and post what I come up with.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 04:56:13 AM »
Good post Paul, very useful info in there. Thanks.
Big synth stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkR38XLkFear5Sf9QypQvA
| Kurzweil Forte | Casio Privia PX 5s | Nord Electro 3 73 | Studiologic Sledge Black| Roland Juno Di | DSI Prophet 6 | Oberheim DPX 1 | EMU Esi 4000 | 2 x Yamaha Tx7 |