separate Pitch/Mod and seq in mutli parts/splits? Newbie question

Hey I just got a Prophet Rev 2 ! (yeah I wanted to spell it out lol)   In multimode I can perform on layer B by pressing 'Edit Layer B' (sorta intuitive). So say I was then playing layer B, and layer A was playing from the sequencer or external midi. Can I pitch bend, mod (and more?) onto my performance layer B local there and not have the pitchbend etc control layer A (aka patch)? Sure would be nice.   Same question applies to splits. I'm really looking for most complete info on all controls that can be separate (or not) multimode (and split). On p16 of the manual it says "Program Layer B data is completely ignored in Multi Mode", but idk what data and context that refers too.  Thanks for any help !   (I expect I'll have a few more questions but I'm trying to read and experiment before asking)

Re: separate Pitch/Mod and seq in mutli parts/splits? Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 08:23:47 AM »
There’s no way to actually make any of the controls (mod, pressure, pitch) bypass one of the patches so you’re only way to accomplish that would be setting the values to zero. IE-set pitch bend range to zero on the patch you don’t want it to affect (found in misc parameters menu, accessed right near the screen).

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 10:01:38 AM »
Update: I've been learning the Rev2 for a week now. I'm going to be doing a lot of complaining about this specific issue. Because this is the mostly glaring problem with the synth, and with the way it was/is documented and marketed. I read the manual before buying, and the passage below was a big selling point. But it is a lie. The synth is not 'two synths in one' because it does NOT provide independent control of each synth ! I havn't read through all this forum to see if this has been discussed much. But it is the biggest deal of all to me. It is probably a deal breaker, it is why I bought it. I was counting on it and excited about it.  Here is the quote: Verbatim quote of Rev2 users guide, pages 15-16

"15.Multi Mode: On, Off—Multi Mode allows separate MIDI control of voices 1-8 and voices 9-16 on 16-voice systems. (On 8-voice systems this is voices 1-4 and voices 5-8.) This enables independent, bi-timbral control of the Prophet Rev2
When Multi Mode is on, the Prophet Rev2 responds to MIDI data on two consecutive MIDI channels — the base channel (selected in the Global menu) and the next highest channel. The base channel controls voices 1-8 (or 1-4 on 8-voice systems) and the other channel controls voices 9-16 (or 5-8 on 8-voice systems). Notes, program changes, and other MIDI data received on the specified channels provide independent control of the two parts"

It CLEARLY says.. INDEPENDENT CONTROL. "independent, bi-timbral control ", "responds to MIDI data on two consecutive MIDI channels" . "other MIDI data received on the specified channels provide independent control of the two parts"  There is just NO WAY that does not lead one to the CLEAR impression of a claim that it is ACTUALLY two synths in one INSTEAD of  "two synths in one except for controllers". The GIANT problem here is not the limitation, but the fact is was not reveal in the manual, nor in any marketing or communication from the company, as far as I can tell.  If I'd asked the question point blank here or directly to support, I would have gotten the bad news. But based on the manual, why on earth would I ever have the suspicion to ask such a question? What I really want is for it to be immediately promised to be fixed soon. I don't expect that promise to happen, and in the mean time I will probably just return the thing. If it gets fixed maybe I'll buy it again. Yeah it sounds great, I love it.  But this is too frustrating and frankly too fuking stupid. It just smells up the concept so bad I want it gone. Having literally everything else (dual outputs etc)  you need to ACTUALLY provide two synths in one, and LEAVING OFF CONTROLLERS is just a very bad noise in my mind right now.  Maybe I'll get a Prophet 6 or something later, idk. I will likely be dropping this info around the web unless I hear something from Sequential soon. Not that they care. I mean, surely some people there care about this, but on whole, I mean.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 08:21:59 AM »
That’s an impressive rant, but I completely agree. The manual is more than a bit misleading. It’s incredible that this issue hasn’t been fixed. Obviously it’s possible to work around it, but that is extra work and required disabling after touch, mod wheel, pitch bend etc from one of the layers. Sequential, when are you going to sort out this awful problem?

maxter

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 03:54:32 PM »
+1

Not that this particular issue affects me personally, but I can sure relate. To the degree where it hurts inside to read this thread. For other reasons (other bugs, that is), I have barely used it for 1-2 years myself, just patiently waiting on those bugs to get fixed so that I can continue with what I was working on before I switched from Prophet '08 to Rev2. I assumed my polyrhythmic, quasi-semi-generative sequenced patches would be backwards compatible on the Rev2 when doing the switch, as there was no indication of the contrary. But the gated sequencer bugs are still not solved. I fear they never will be, it seems like SCI have moved on with their other products, and left Rev2 in the dark/cold. Rev2 just seemed to be the perfect lift from P'08 that I had dreamed of. I loved the P'08, but oh if there were just a couple more modulation slots, and a sub-osc, etc.

It's simply a shame, I don't know of any better way to put it. An instrument with so much potential, seemingly neglected, I mean it surely is possible to make it work as it should by the developers, but there's this eerie silence, that just gets worse with time. I still hope the Rev2 will someday be fixed, but I'll probably never buy another SCI product again, if so it'd be the old P'08 just to get this nightmare over with.
The Way the Truth and the Life