Looking for modulation tricks

Looking for modulation tricks
« on: March 11, 2020, 12:35:02 PM »
So, I've been playing around with patches that try to sound like they're sequenced, where an osc will jump between different notes and so forth. Basically I'm fishing for happy accidents :) So far I'm trying to generate rynthmic patterns by combining the LFO's with different Square/pulse shapes to get polyrythmic patterns. Another thing I've done alot is making the aux ENV's 3 & 4 repeating and have the modulate various things. Just wondering if there's any cool tricks out there to get effects like logic gates or quantization and so forth. Maybe it's simply not possible but anything you've got is very welcome. I know the mod matrix has a random, is it possible to make it be completely on / off and not have a range inbetween for example?

Another thing I've tried to mimmick is the sound of paraphonic where certain notes has another waveform/octave etc. Similar as before I've used mainly patterns of LFO's to try to acheive this. Any tips & tricks on that?

Also any tricks on modular style modulation is welcome.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 12:36:59 PM by mrj1nx »

Re: Looking for modulation tricks
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 04:42:58 AM »
Paraphonic: you could try the modmatrix random on osc levels and other parameters. Not exactly, not repeating, but not dissimilar.
For duophonic: use both layers in monophonic mode, have one layer low note priority the other high note priority. Whenever you edit the envelopes and LFOs, be sure to edit both layers at the same time to improve the illusion.
Polyrhythmic/sequenced: Another thing that may help is modulating the amount of one pulse LFO by another, in differing amounts or directions/polarities. If you are happy with a set speed - i.e. not clock synced - you can also work some magic by key-syncing LFOs and setting different phases. It's not a polyrhythmic patch, but you could take a look at Jeanny's Genius bank 4, patch 98 (dual layer).
For on/off per keypress and quantisation effects, I'm just as curious as you to hear a solution. Hm, you could be very crude and use three LFOs with the 50%, 33% and 25%, in sync, but phase shifted modulating the same destination. You'd at least get 0, 50% amount, 33% amount, 25% amount and then down again. Such things, however, need some careful planning in advance or long-winded trial and error. :)
HTH, best wishes, Jeanette

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 03:13:19 AM »
I came up with a very neat thing when I was investigating some stuff about the random sources, modmatrix random and lfo random.

If you set a random LFO to reset on each note, you can use them to turn OSC's on and off at random. Combine this with tuning the OSC's differently, using different waveforms and so forth. Now start using the arpeggiator and you'll have rytmic playing through the chord with a semi paraphonic sound to it as the randomness keeps switching up what oscs to be using more and less of. I think this is an endless source to dig for happy accidents as it does have very similar quality to it that I've heard from some modular experiments as well as stuff I've heard from some Pro 3 demos. (I've found alot of ideas from Ricky Tinez on youtube, well worth checking out)

ea

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 05:57:57 AM »
I found this one that i like a lot, not on P12 but doable.
https://clips.twitch.tv/PatientTolerantOkapiLitty