The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Syncing the Pro-3 to Ableton Clock is all over the place?

Syncing the Pro-3 to Ableton Clock is all over the place?
« on: March 10, 2020, 02:46:37 PM »
I know about midi jitter from Ableton. I've seen it on a few synths, deviating by a few bpm here and there.

The Pro-3 when synced via USB direct to my computer, or through midi cables from my Focusrite18i20 seems to jump 10-20 bpm per second.... it's all over the place and really visually distracting when wanting everything to run right.

I put a quick video on my channel showing the issue. Anyone else seeing this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZRc6-z0Bg

Many thanks
SN
Pro-2, Pro-3, Rev2(16), Prophet 6, Subsequent 37, Behringer Odyssey, Behringer Neutron

Re: Syncing the Pro-3 to Ableton Clock is all over the place?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 03:02:49 PM »
What you're seeing in the display for the external clock tempo is a rounded value and may not be completely accurate depending on a few factors. If you're also sending a bunch of other MIDI data in the pipe, this complicates things.

However, you should be able to hear that any time based elements such as the arp/sequencer/clock-synced LFOs are tightly synced.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 03:13:42 PM »
What you're seeing in the display for the external clock tempo is a rounded value and may not be completely accurate depending on a few factors. If you're also sending a bunch of other MIDI data in the pipe, this complicates things.

However, you should be able to hear that any time based elements such as the arp/sequencer/clock-synced LFOs are tightly synced.

Everything certainly sounds "right" and "in-sync" - I just hadn't seen that much deviation before in my other Sequential's
I'll just carry on and try and make some "music" with it ;)
Thanks,
Pro-2, Pro-3, Rev2(16), Prophet 6, Subsequent 37, Behringer Odyssey, Behringer Neutron

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 04:20:27 PM »
Ive been seeing that sort of thing for two decades now on some gear when midi synced.  If it sounds right, ignore the display.  :)

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 05:40:25 PM »
Ive been seeing that sort of thing for two decades now on some gear when midi synced.  If it sounds right, ignore the display.  :)

yes that's the plan, and although i'm probably around your age, I didn't touch a synthesizer until about October 2018 for some reason...?  - I do see this in much smaller increments on the Rev2, not so much the Prophet 6..... but wildy so on the now to be ignored Pro-3 display.....