Mod Matrix - analog or digital?

drxcm

Mod Matrix - analog or digital?
« on: February 26, 2020, 08:30:36 PM »
Curious about the mod matrix

Eg If I FM Oscillator 1 with Oscillator 2, is this a direct analog routing, or is there some audio rate digital conversion happening in the mod matrix?

What about if I route Oscillator 1 to a CV output - is it a direct analog out from the oscillator or is this digitised somehow?

What is the 'audio rate mod matrix' running at in terms of sample rate, bit depth if it is digital?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Mod Matrix - analog or digital?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 09:32:28 PM »
I have been wondering about this too, and asked about it some time ago, but I did not get a reply (about the sampling rate of the mod matrix, so I guess it is at the same rate as P12 and PRO2, which seems to be at about 11Khz or 22 because of Nyquist rates)

I am fairly certain though, that the oscillator signals are converted to digital because otherwise it would make one hell of a routing analog circuit when you have 32 different destinations slots... The oscillators are clearly digitized (they are available as sources for control purposes) , and these are then used to modulate the destinations. I bet each analog parameter like cutoff, osc pitch etc. Have one DAC associated with it, and that this one number holds the sum of all modulations done to it from various sources. I think the mod matrix would be very hard to do in the analog domain. Many destinations are both digital and analog in nature, and would not allow for connection without a bunch of convertion cucuits... If all is kept digital, and all control sources are converted to digital before entering the matrix, then all would be compatible in the digital domain all the way thru, untill an end modulation can be Delivered to any destination accessible, and those destinations being analog in nature only need to convert this number to analog before hitting the parameter.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:45:35 PM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Kja

Re: Mod Matrix - analog or digital?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 06:25:09 PM »
They have said it is digital and it runs at audio rate, 44.1khz I believe, it is twice as fast as the pro two and other Dave Smith stuff besides p6/ob6 that is actual CV modulation not digitally converted. The p6/ob6 are the only synths with true audio path I believe, although I think the pro two might have true fm as well though. The way it was worded is that the fm is not the same as the vco synths though. I think the only ones that truly know are the guys that work there.