Many Issues w/ Rev2

Many Issues w/ Rev2
« on: February 25, 2020, 09:37:10 AM »
- First I had a faulty keybed w/ a dead key.  They sent me a new one for me to install.  Seemed to fix that issue.
- Some patches have changed without me doing anything.
- Some keys have different modulation than others within the same patch.
- I have tried over and over again to update to the new OS for mac using Sysex Librarian.  It just says, "Done" and no update occurs.
- All of a sudden the synth is now out of tune all of the time.  I have recalibrated the wheels 5 times to no avail.

I have been trying to get in touch with someone about these issues. I keep getting voicemail.  I have tried emailing about the OS update and all I get is someone telling me that I need to just "try it again."

I have heard great things about the customer service, but I'm losing my patience and my faith that I put my money in the right place when purchasing this synth.

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Many Issues w/ Rev2
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 09:43:57 AM »
Did you buy the instrument directly from Sequential, or from a music store/site?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 09:45:28 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 09:45:32 AM »
Did you buy the instrument directly from Sequential?

I purchased at Guitar Center

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 09:48:00 AM »
It certainly sounds like a previous return.  If I were you, I'd return it quickly and buy another Rev2 from a different company.  I'd suggest Sweetwater.  From personal experience, they're the best.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 09:50:44 AM »
It certainly sounds like a previous return.  If I were you, I'd return it quickly and buy another Rev2 from a different company.  I'd suggest Sweetwater.  From personal experience, they're the best.

Well that's not an option at this point. I purchased in December 2017. So I'm just stuck with junk?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 10:19:13 AM »
Have you tried calibrating the filters? Calibrating the wheels wont help with bad tuning.

1.Update to latest beta os

2.Reset global data in global menu

3.reinstall factory presets from website.

4.Switch off rev2.

5.Switch on rev2, and let i warm for 30m
Switch it off and wait 10 seconds
Turn on, and perform calibration of filters

See how much was fixed by this.. If still anything, write a support ticket.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 10:25:59 AM »
Have you tried calibrating the filters? Calibrating the wheels wont help with bad tuning.

4.Switch off rev2.

Will this affect my saved patches?

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 10:34:31 AM »

4.Switch off rev2.

I suggest making a backup of your patches on your Mac first.

As for updating the OS, you do know that it has to be done exclusively via the USB connector and not the standard 5 pin MIDI connector, right?

And yes, once that's done, recalibrate the whole instrument, not just the wheels.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 03:39:44 AM »
Since he's apparently been in contact with Sequential several times, I'm presuming he's already been told to recalibrate the filters.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 06:26:15 AM »
Yes because the factory presets are duplicated to the user banks... So do a midi dump to computer before, or omit the step with restoring factory presets... The other points will not destroy presets, though it is always best to be sure and make a copy anyway.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 06:30:21 AM by Razmo »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 06:29:10 AM »

4.Switch off rev2.

I suggest making a backup of your patches on your Mac first.

As for updating the OS, you do know that it has to be done exclusively via the USB connector and not the standard 5 pin MIDI connector, right?

And yes, once that's done, recalibrate the whole instrument, not just the wheels.

As far as I know, you can update both via usb and din... Din just is slower... This can be an advantage though as usb can send so fast the rev2 might miss something unless the program sending the os puts in delays between sysex packages.

I actually prefer din updates because of this... Last time i tried updating a tempest using usb at full speed i bricked the damned thing...

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2020, 06:41:08 AM »
I’ve always updated over midi and it’s been fine.

As for tuning issues, make sure the global master tuning and tuning system didn’t change, updates have done that to me before.

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2020, 06:51:55 AM »
Can we get a more specific example of different keys having different modulations? That’s possible to program via velocity, splits, and key number only so beyond that it’s impossible with the architecture. So to narrow it down to one of those would help us diagnose. Also I assume we’re going straight prophet here and no DAW when it comes to trouble shooting? (I use ableton with mine, I’m not anti daw, I just think it should be removed for trouble shooting)

maxter

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2020, 08:57:06 AM »

As far as I know, you can update both via usb and din... Din just is slower... This can be an advantage though as usb can send so fast the rev2 might miss something unless the program sending the os puts in delays between sysex packages.

I actually prefer din updates because of this... Last time i tried updating a tempest using usb at full speed i bricked the damned thing...

+1
Agreed, I  only use DIN for safety, when updating OS or patch dumps etc, when there is a load of information being sent. The size of the OS updates for Rev2 further adds to the fear of using USB.

My condolences regarding your Tempest.  :(
The Way the Truth and the Life

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 01:39:00 PM »

+1
Agreed, I  only use DIN for safety, when updating OS or patch dumps etc, when there is a load of information being sent. The size of the OS updates for Rev2 further adds to the fear of using USB.

My condolences regarding your Tempest.  :(

No worries, I had it serviced and it worked again  ;)

I do use USB for patch dumps though, as this loads and saves presets much faster in the editors I use... I can read a whole 8 banks in less than two seconds... But again, this is with proper delays between presets.

Early on in rev2 history some users reported whole banks of presets where layer B was scrambled... It shiwed out to be because they sent the whole bank to rev2 with no delays on usb... Sequential never did anything to fix this, so I believe this is still there... So always use midi libratian or sysex software that put proper delays in there.