How does ARP sustain/hold is supposed to work?

kris

How does ARP sustain/hold is supposed to work?
« on: February 22, 2020, 06:16:42 AM »
Hi all,

for the life of it I can't wrap my mind around how to use a pedal to hold the arp.

What I do:
Connect pedal to "Sustain" port
Check that sustain mode works. Check - pedal down: Hold lights up, pedal up, Hold is off again. Play with sustain, all is good.

Now my expectation: Play something with Arp, e.g. F2 P5 StruckHarpeggio. Press pedal - arp should stay playing even when I let the keys go
But: Arp immediately stops when I press the pedal, even while the keys are still down.

No matter to which setting I set the "Arp sustein" global, be it Arp Hold or Arp Hold Mom, it immediately kills the Arp if I press the pedal down. But in those modes, the old lamp only flashes very briefly. It can't be the polarity, because the normal sustain function works as expected?

I must be doing something completely wrong? I searched the forum, but there seems to be no manual entry for this as it was added in a later version?

Do I need a different Pedal? But it's just a switch, is it?

Thanks for your insight!
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

Re: How does ARP sustain/hold is supposed to work?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 12:22:08 PM »
Have you tried turning it on and off again?

No I’m not being snarky...I had the same problem with my MatrixBrute with a pedal I’d been using but had unplugged. When I plugged it in again it wouldn’t behave properly until I turned it off, unplugged the pedal, plugged it back in and turned it on.

jg666

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 01:02:31 PM »
For me the sustain pedal toggles the Hold on and off when on an Arp patch.

So on the patch you mentioned, I start the Arp going then dab the sustain pedal once (no need to keep your foot on it) and the hold button stays lit until I dab the pedal again.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

kris

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 10:53:31 AM »
Have you tried turning it on and off again?

No I’m not being snarky...I had the same problem with my MatrixBrute with a pedal I’d been using but had unplugged. When I plugged it in again it wouldn’t behave properly until I turned it off, unplugged the pedal, plugged it back in and turned it on.
Yes, I did, multiple times. Just to make sure ;)
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

kris

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 10:58:00 AM »
For me the sustain pedal toggles the Hold on and off when on an Arp patch.

So on the patch you mentioned, I start the Arp going then dab the sustain pedal once (no need to keep your foot on it) and the hold button stays lit until I dab the pedal again.
Ok, many thanks, that was an important hint - to not stay on the pedal but rather to let it go, and see that a single press toggles the hold.

There is something more funky going on when you have a layered patch, obviously the hold function is available per layer, but the pedal controls only one of the two layers.

I re-cabled everything today anyway, and now I see a bit more consistent behavior, but sometimes I can hold only chord arps when I push the pedal before I press the keys. This is the wrong way round, as I normally play an arp and think "oh hold this" and then press the pedal. I did see the difference now between "Arp hold" and "Arp hold Mom" - when you are in Arp hold you are in the toggle mode where you can let the pedal go and it will keep hold on, while arp hold mom will hold only as long as the pedal is down, nice.

I do think what got me yesterday was the complexity of the 2 layers, and the pedal always working only in one layer when you are not in dual layer edit (blinking) mode.