Any tricks for taming the low-end of Prophet 08 without any external gear?

llest

Hi!

I have a simple patch with one triangle osc and some noise on top of it. I want to preserve the overall characteristics of the sound and simply make the subs quieter. Can I somehow do it on the synth itself or I have to use some external EQ?

Thanks!

LLest

Sacred Synthesis

Re: Any tricks for taming the low-end of Prophet 08 without any external gear?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 08:22:14 PM »
Your patch has a triangle wave form, some (deliberate) white noise, and sub scillators bleeding through?  I don't quite uderstand.

llest

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 11:12:55 PM »
My patch has a triangle wave form, some (deliberate) white noise, and NO sub oscillators. I want to lessen the bass frequencies on this patch and I am wondering if I there is a way to do it without using an external EQ.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 08:42:33 AM »
The best solution would be a high pass filter; but, of course, the Prophet '08 doesn't have one.  There are two other possible methods for trimming back the lower frequencies.  If you're not using filter modulation modulated by the envelope generator, then you could try raising the Resonance just a tad.  The other method is to switch to the 2-Pole Filter setting.  Both options reduce the lower frequences, but they also affect the overall sound, so you'd have to adjust a number of parameters. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:00:53 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

llest

Thank you, Sacred Synthesis! Will try it..

If you are pretty close to what you want, EQ is a better way to go.  As SS said, modulation or synth filters will substantially change the sound.  EQ is just a "fine tuning" filter anyway.   Here's a good article on parametric EQ (which is what I would use in your case) https://www.presonus.com/learn/technical-articles/What-Is-a-Parametric-Eq  I would create a high pass shelf at probably 100hz and lower.  Since I haven't heard the patch, that's just a guesstimate.  Lower the shelf a couple of db and you're done!   

Rule of thumb- use the synth's modulation and filters to get the patch close to what you want.  Then use EQ and effects to dial in and finalize the sound. 
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

Sacred Synthesis

I completely agree with you, Jim.  EQ is the best method, rather than to muck around with the filter.   But I got the sense he's trying to find a means other than EQ.  I would say, design the program to the highest degree of perfection possible on the control panel, and then leave it alone.  And then that's where the EQing comes in.

Thanks SS.  Totally agree with you.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.