Is my Rev2-16 broken?

Is my Rev2-16 broken?
« on: February 20, 2020, 05:53:12 AM »
When I play a preset, the fx is heavily distorted/corrupt. Sounds like really low rez 8bit sampling. Same with every fx,,

Then, If I turn fx of and play it sounds like every note is different sounding, so I record a really simple MIDI pattern, 8th notes, same key. Playing every note with the same velocity and lenght. The notes sounds different from osc to osc.

Then,, I Use the Init sound,, and put Filter to about 3/4,, the difference from note to note is huge!

Os:1.1.4.9 (NOT recommended to update, thou the OS aint damaged..)
Calibration of osc and filter is done, took like forever..

Is my unit broken?

The sad thing,, Its not used very much and I Take really good care of my instruments! (Beside of not playing them very much. This is just because lack of space and I have several other synths)

Re: Is my Rev2-16 broken?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 08:44:19 AM »
No the unit is not broken this is a very common issue with a former firmware version. You need to update with the most recent firmware, proceed with the calibration and your synth will shine again.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 08:45:41 AM »
Welcome to the dreaded "ringmod bug"... a persistent bug that has hauted the REV2 from birth... it has been tried fixed and has become better, but it still pops up from time to time... it is often something that happens with specific settings of the FX of both layers, and usually happen with layered presets... if you use distortion on both layers, it did this in the past, but I think they bettered that symptom... When I had my REV2, it still did this bug on a rare occation or two, but it gets harder and harder to give a desciption of a chain of events that actually lead to the problem... if you can reproduce the bug, try submitting a support ticket to Sequential... they are not guaranteed to react on forum reports.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:09:03 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 08:46:55 AM »
No the unit is not broken this is a very common issue with a former firmware version. You need to update with the most recent firmware, proceed with the calibration and your synth will shine again.

OS upgrading will certainly better it, but not even the latest OS is totaly free from it... it still happen on occation... just so that users do not wrongly believe an OS update will totaly cure it.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 09:05:06 AM »
I Update OS, No problem. But why do the company state its NOT good?

The issue I have is the same for every setting, every preset and every kind of effect chosen.

Ill be back soon.. with latest OS.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 10:05:33 AM »
I Update OS, No problem. But why do the company state its NOT good?

The issue I have is the same for every setting, every preset and every kind of effect chosen.

Ill be back soon.. with latest OS.

Where do they state it is not good to update. They usually say that if you do not have any troubles it is best to leave it, but that is to avoid a problem during update, or the fact that with new features, new bugs may be present... still, I felt that every new OS made REV2 more and more stable... last beta being the best in my opinion, so do not worry... just follow the update procedure carefully and you will be good.

Though, if your REV2 sound like that all the time, it may be because a preset that you call up is starting it... usually, if one preset start it, it will continue on any new preset you select untill you power the synth off and on again.

Personally I think that this bug is partly because of CPU that is close to its processing limits, but of course, only Sequential knows and it has been some time since we heard anything from them on this bug, not to mention any new beta releases. Best solution is always to write them at support.

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 10:26:01 AM »
Installera latest OS, 1.1.5.9. Started calibration, and it stop at:

Voice...5
OSC 1...10
OSC 2...

After about 20 min i did a power off and on. New calibration,, stops att the same.

Why?

How to get calibration routine completed?

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »
Installera latest OS, 1.1.5.9. Started calibration, and it stop at:

Voice...5
OSC 1...10
OSC 2...

After about 20 min i did a power off and on. New calibration,, stops att the same.

Why?

How to get calibration routine completed?

Perseverance, obstinations ... just do it again until it works.
Can be a good idea to wait until the machine is hot also, like wait for 15mn after on.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 10:46:40 AM by Tugdual »

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 10:52:10 AM »
Mentioned this in another thread yesterday, but you might try this:

Power off, unplug all MIDI and USB cables, Power back on - try calibrating now.   If successful, then power back down and reconnect the cables.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 11:28:19 AM »
This happens because the REV2 has been on for some time... Here is what to do:

Turn on REV2

Wait for half an hour for analog chips to have warmed up

Turn off mashine

Wait 10sec.

Turn machine on

Do callibration

For some reason it halts if it has been turned on for some time, or it runs thru extremely slowly... I have asked about this a long time ago, and found the solution myself... Sequential never replied to me if this is in fact a harware flaw or not... Got the impression they did not want to talk about it.

My personal guess is that since it works right after a power down, it may be because of some capacitance building up in some capacitors over time... Just a wild guess though.

But calibration works fine if you just follow my above steps... Everytime.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 11:32:52 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 11:58:16 AM »
I Tried,, turned on for 30 min,, turn off about 10sec,,

Turn on and calibrate, same issue still

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 12:18:22 PM »
I Tried,, turned on for 30 min,, turn off about 10sec,,

Turn on and calibrate, same issue still

Calibration has nothing to do with the ringmod bug... That is solely an OS fix thing... Update to latest beta... If problem persist, write Sequential a support ticket, as it could be something else... Also remember to reset global settings just in case.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 12:24:32 PM »
Also, it tend to be Layer B that goes wack, not A... So try and listen to different presets, and note the layer settings... Are the bad sound only present on B layers?

Normally it is initiated by certain presets, so it might be that the preset that your rev2 remember as start patch, is the one that screw up things.

To change the start up preset, simply select another preset, preferably one that do not use layer B, and hit "global" twice... Entering and exiting globals save the currently active oreset as the startup preset... If you then reboot rev2, mayby the problem is gone... At least until you dial in another faulty preset.

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 12:37:14 PM »
The ”ring mod” issue, if It really is that issue with my Rev2, is gone After updating to latest OS.

Calibration get stuck on the same place, tried After different startup patches, layered, singles and split.

One thing that still bothers is the complete different sound on some notes playing a key, or arp, even with the initial sound!

Could be solved After calibration,,, but when calibration Dont pass i dont know.

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 01:01:22 PM »
The ”ring mod” issue, if It really is that issue with my Rev2, is gone After updating to latest OS.

Calibration get stuck on the same place, tried After different startup patches, layered, singles and split.

One thing that still bothers is the complete different sound on some notes playing a key, or arp, even with the initial sound!

Could be solved After calibration,,, but when calibration Dont pass i dont know.
You might want to try 31 Reset globals
Also as you have the 16 voices you might want to check that the expansion board is properly plugged. Why not try without it. Just throwing ideas...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2020, 01:03:13 PM »

Your last problem is calibration... If my directions above do not let it pass calibration, then contact support... My solution worked everytime on my REV2... But if I just turned it on and did calibration half an our later, without first briefly rebooting, then I would also freeze completely. And other users have reported this freezing since REV2s birth... It is a common thing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 01:07:01 PM by Razmo »

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2020, 02:02:23 PM »
Ive Done reset Global.

One of the First thing I did was to Open the rev2 just for a visual check and then I pushed every connector to secure Nothing isnt in place. But to remove the upper voicecard is a good idea!

By the way, After an hour or so in ”freeze” the calibration have made some progress.

Voice 5
OSC1 10
OSC2 10

I let the calibration go on some hours and then we will see.

Also as you have the 16 voices you might want to check that the expansion board is properly plugged. Why not try without it. Just throwing ideas...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 02:05:04 PM by Light Head »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2020, 02:56:05 PM »
Ive Done reset Global.

One of the First thing I did was to Open the rev2 just for a visual check and then I pushed every connector to secure Nothing isnt in place. But to remove the upper voicecard is a good idea!

By the way, After an hour or so in ”freeze” the calibration have made some progress.

Voice 5
OSC1 10
OSC2 10

I let the calibration go on some hours and then we will see.

It is NOT meant to take that long... it should run thru it in a matter of a few minutes.

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2020, 10:39:00 PM »
OP, the OS update fixed the original problem.
Calibration failing is something else, question is : do you need it?
When you play repeatedly the same note with a simple 2 vco and resonant filter, does it jump every 16 notes or is the sound ok?

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2020, 11:31:36 PM »
Calibration IS needed, How could it not be needed? Its recommended to calibrate After each Os update and in my case its definately something strang with the filter, and others.

I left the calibration for the night, when I came back the calibration is Done. And the synth Sounds much much better!

Anyway, This is anoying,, it should take some minutes, but took several hours!

I tried to find the problem, sort things Out so to say.

Playing the same note i found thet the MOST problematic one was #14, not the Only one but most irratic.

I Will test calibration Again and see If it is faster now, or If its stuck in the same sequence.

The issue Did appear on several voices, in different variation regarding volume, filter, cutoff (and it sounded like the adsr were different as well, on some voices. Heard when using the arp playin one note)

But, a New calibration will be Done soon

OP, the OS update fixed the original problem.
Calibration failing is something else, question is : do you need it?
When you play repeatedly the same note with a simple 2 vco and resonant filter, does it jump every 16 notes or is the sound ok?