New Prophet REV2 owner ... a couple of Logic based questions and a little help !

Hello everyone ..

First of all I'd like to say what a great place this, full of information so thank you !! I wonder though if you guys could perhaps help me with a few issues I'm having please?

I dabbled many many years ago with the likes of Cubase and prior to that a couple of old Roland synths (101/09 and a few korgs) .. Jump to a year ago and I purchased Logic Pro, bought a cheap M-Audio Keystation controller, subscribed to the Roland cloud as a lot of their products were familiar to me and I had a whale of a time !! ... however I missed owning an actual synth, I get the whole VST thing but there's nothing quite like physically creating sounds so I began to look at various options .. Spent quite a few months researching and trying out lots of synths and I settled on a REV2 which is just incredible. Stunning stunning pads, amazing big leads, lovely bass .. so many ways to create fantastic sounds.

Once purchased I decided to spend a couple of months getting to know the synth before actually trying to record anything, I wanted to learn what I could do with it which was incredibly enjoyable. A few weeks back I connected everything up and returned to Logic to begin trying a few ideas out. This is where I've hit a bit of a brick wall.

As a controller to all the VST's ? ... perfect. But trying to record the REV2, confusing to say the least. Ultimately I'm not sure if I am expecting it to be as simple as VST's and getting frustrated that it isn't if you get me ?

My current way of working is to create an external Midi track, check the 'use external instrument plug-in' box then create an accompanying audio track, record the notes ... and there you go. All works. However, what if I want to change the notes ? What if I want to write in additional notes? ... I tend to use Logic's piano roll quite heavily to create intricate sequences ... but if I try and manually create/write a sequence on the midi track with the pen tool for example and hit record it doesn't seem to record ?

My second question is the midi clock side of things, If I set it to master it is ignoring Logic's tempo, if I set it to slave it locks in with Logic but then none of the ARP patches I've created work.

My set up is pictured below, REV2 is connected via both Midi and USB into an M-Audio Track 2x2m controller then into my MacBook Pro.

I realise a lot of this is because of my relative inexperience so please forgive me. I've searched here and as much as I can on the net for any help.

Anyway .. apologies for the length of the post guys but thanks in advance ..

Many thanks

Stephen

« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 06:07:04 PM by Stephen Brooks »

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
We use our Rev2 with Logic.  If your Rev2 is connected with midi properly all you do is with the Rev2 track selected, hit the red record button and it will record any midi played.  Then to print your midi to audio you would bounce the midi track as “real-time” I don’t think we slave the Rev2 to Logic’s clock, simply we just set the tempo on the Rev2 to the same tempo of our current project in Logic.
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

Hopefully, you got this to work already? If not, this is the Clock fix... I had the same issues when I first got mine. It's simply a synchronisation issue in logics projects settings. Hit file, then head to project settings ---> Synchronisation ---> MIDI. Select your REV2 and tick the box. The arp will work once the project plays.

Check the link for more info.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210198