Prophet Midi Sync Lag with Ableton

Prophet Midi Sync Lag with Ableton
« on: February 19, 2020, 05:49:24 PM »
Hi there,

I've read a few posts on this but nothing has been conclusive, was hoping you could help.

I'm using Ableton + Prophet 6.

I send program change and midi note information only from Ableton to my Prophet which plays a number of arpeggios throughout my set using the in-built arpeggiator on the P06.

All my midi in/out settings are correct, I believe (see below).

The issue I'm having is that sometimes it is bang-on the beat and perfectly sync'd. Other times it will start the arpeggio halfway through the phrase. Other times it's just off. It always seems to be the right tempo, but never consistently at the start of the phrase. There's no rhyme or reason to it.

I have a show on Friday and would love any pointers as it's driving me crazy.

Thank you

---
MIDI CHANNEL: ALL
MIDI CLOCK: NSS
CLOCK PORT: USB
MIDI CONTROL: ON

Re: Prophet Midi Sync Lag with Ableton
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 07:20:44 AM »
with my P6 in Ableton you need Midi clock type set to pattern mode with a delay of 16ms to get it sounding right. Also to get the the P6 in time, if you ever press stop you need to stop again to rest the clock before pressing play agin to send the clock reset message. Part of the reason I started trying out Bitwig is because it syncs far better with external midi gear than Ableton does. My SUb37 hates Ableton. It always starts weird no matter what the settings. However it runs tight as hell in Bitwig and Maschine with same settings. I try to avoid Ableton these days. I wish I hadn't bought it.

Re: Prophet Midi Sync Lag with Ableton
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 06:03:55 PM »
Read this:
https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,4106.0.html
Could be helpful. Bottom line is that your issue has to do with the way the Prophet handles the midi clock between patch changes. It’s not an Ableton problem.