The Prophet X sounds too good!

The Prophet X sounds too good!
« on: February 19, 2020, 12:12:48 AM »
I love messing around with synths. Few things makes me happier than clearing my schedule for an evening to just dive in, explore, tweak and noodle away without aim or purpose on one of my precious instruments. Quality time. The hours fly by.

However, with the PX this just isn't very satisfying. I init a sound, turn two-three knobs or so and things are already starting to sound good. 5 minutes later I'm in the middle of a groove and start recording ideas for new tracks, my can of beer still unopened and all but forgotten. I don't even bother saving my presets anymore, as I know something just as awesome is just a couple of knob twists away. So now I'm at my wits end. With the PX music keeps getting in the way of pointless tinkering and I start wondering if I would just have been better off with even more eurorack modules instead...

(and yes, I am actually trying to say that the Prophet X is amazing)...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: The Prophet X sounds too good!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 12:56:43 AM »
If that is the case, then Sequential should be more than capable of making that desktop module version many would like... If it takes that few twists, you could easily do with a few buttons and knobs like "init" and "Sound good amount" etc. ;)
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 05:28:46 AM »
I love messing around with synths. Few things makes me happier than clearing my schedule for an evening to just dive in, explore, tweak and noodle away without aim or purpose on one of my precious instruments. Quality time. The hours fly by.

However, with the PX this just isn't very satisfying. I init a sound, turn two-three knobs or so and things are already starting to sound good. 5 minutes later I'm in the middle of a groove and start recording ideas for new tracks, my can of beer still unopened and all but forgotten. I don't even bother saving my presets anymore, as I know something just as awesome is just a couple of knob twists away. So now I'm at my wits end. With the PX music keeps getting in the way of pointless tinkering and I start wondering if I would just have been better off with even more eurorack modules instead...

(and yes, I am actually trying to say that the Prophet X is amazing)...

I'm in the same boat. Even after I get my Prophet-6 and Tempest ready to go, I just end up jamming or programming the PX most of the time.

LoboLives

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 05:32:38 AM »
If that is the case, then Sequential should be more than capable of making that desktop module version many would like... If it takes that few twists, you could easily do with a few buttons and knobs like "init" and "Sound good amount" etc. ;)

You know I'm actually likely going to trade the Kronos in for a Prophet XL very soon. So if they bring out a desktop module...I'll get that as well. ;)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 06:13:56 AM »

You know I'm actually likely going to trade the Kronos in for a Prophet XL very soon. So if they bring out a desktop module...I'll get that as well. ;)

Is it that good, that it is worth having three physical instances of it?

Seriously, if a P12 like version was made, I would actually considder it, unless Dave releases another poly with SSI chips in module form... I would really like a poly with just THAT filter, since I liked the Polysix sound quite a lot.

Unfortunately I do not have much hope for this PX module ever happening.

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 07:05:34 AM »

Seriously, if a P12 like version was made, I would actually considder it, unless Dave releases another poly with SSI chips in module form... I would really like a poly with just THAT filter, since I liked the Polysix sound quite a lot.

I personally like it that much. Not just for sentimental reasons but just the ease of programming and what you can do with the samples themselves. At first I was like "Bah, there's no pan flute, there's no pipe organ, no sitar" etc but then I realized there is, it's all in the programming. A brushed percussion mixed with a standard flute sample...and boom pan flute, pitch being modulated by an envelope and bam simulated sitar....and if that's not good enough just sample whatever you want in there. Plus the whole 8/16/32 voice modes are incredibly useful.

You'll dig a Ambience Category Raz. Each key is it's own adventure. Honestly, I can't tell you how cool it is to sample stretch one of the organic ambience or guitar drones and just have it drone on and on with some oscillators underneath to give it some weight.

I just did a bunch of drone/ambient tracks with my friend on guitar and the PX is just droning away in the back while he plays.

Nokki

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 09:21:11 AM »
A PX module version in the style of the P12 module I would buy in a second, I would however much more prefer that they release a new version of the tempest based on the PX.

I have thought of buying the PXL as well, a much better economic route would be if they sell an additional hard drive so that we can import more samples If I can have my whole sample library on a single instrument that would be a dream.

This is by far the best synth I have ever tried and I think it will take some years until the market actually realizes what this beast is capable of.

the first few days I saved some presets but since then the same as you describe above I donīt see the reason as it is just so much fun to tweak the instrument and getting good results fast.

When people describe it as a workstation then they have not tried the synth

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 10:46:06 AM »

I personally like it that much. Not just for sentimental reasons but just the ease of programming and what you can do with the samples themselves. At first I was like "Bah, there's no pan flute, there's no pipe organ, no sitar" etc but then I realized there is, it's all in the programming. A brushed percussion mixed with a standard flute sample...and boom pan flute, pitch being modulated by an envelope and bam simulated sitar....and if that's not good enough just sample whatever you want in there. Plus the whole 8/16/32 voice modes are incredibly useful.

You'll dig a Ambience Category Raz. Each key is it's own adventure. Honestly, I can't tell you how cool it is to sample stretch one of the organic ambience or guitar drones and just have it drone on and on with some oscillators underneath to give it some weight.

I just did a bunch of drone/ambient tracks with my friend on guitar and the PX is just droning away in the back while he plays.

Well, what were you after!? A ROMpler?... It is a sampler, so if you need sitar, church organ etc. Then that is the whole point of the PX: put in your own samples  :D

Overall I actually are impressed with the PX, and would love to try one out... But you have to understand that I tend to compare it to my Waldorf Quantum's sample features... While many things are equally good, also a lot of key points set them apart, and the things that still tickles my PX interrest is mostly its three voice modes... 8, 16 and 32, which gives functionality I cannot get with my Quantum... Another is the  actual filter type, the SSI chip which gives a different character that I would like to have at my disposal.

Actually I think Quantum and PX would complement each other nicely, even if they overlap a bit.

But I have to accept, that my physical space is limited, and with both Quantum and PRO3 coming, I have no space for more keys... I am speculating about adding a certain number of modules to this rig, that would give me more varied filter tonality, rather than different synthesis, mainly because with synths the depth of what I want, 80% of their flexibilities will overlap anyway... This is why I am considdering both REV2 and PEAK again, as they have radically different filter types... Thus PX is also interresting so I am covered with 2044 SSM filter type.

Unfortunately, this will only happen if a module version is created... Or Sequential base a new poly on the SSI chips.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:49:35 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2020, 11:02:01 AM »
I agree this thing sounds too good. All of my other equipment could be classified as "prosumer" and the Prophet X just completely cuts through any mix/jam I'm doing. Nice problem to have!

J_P_P

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 11:08:04 AM »

Well, what were you after!? A ROMpler?... It is a sampler, so if you need sitar, church organ etc. Then that is the whole point of the PX: put in your own samples  :D

Overall I actually are impressed with the PX, and would love to try one out... But you have to understand that I tend to compare it to my Waldorf Quantum's sample features... While many things are equally good, also a lot of key points set them apart, and the things that still tickles my PX interrest is mostly its three voice modes... 8, 16 and 32, which gives functionality I cannot get with my Quantum... Another is the  actual filter type, the SSI chip which gives a different character that I would like to have at my disposal.

Actually I think Quantum and PX would complement each other nicely, even if they overlap a bit.

But I have to accept, that my physical space is limited, and with both Quantum and PRO3 coming, I have no space for more keys... I am speculating about adding a certain number of modules to this rig, that would give me more varied filter tonality, rather than different synthesis, mainly because with synths the depth of what I want, 80% of their flexibilities will overlap anyway... This is why I am considdering both REV2 and PEAK again, as they have radically different filter types... Thus PX is also interresting so I am covered with 2044 SSM filter type.

Unfortunately, this will only happen if a module version is created... Or Sequential base a new poly on the SSI chips.

I also have a Quantum...got the Prophet X a few days ago...an altough they both have Sample + Synth OSC...they don't sound anything alike. It's not just a question of number of voices... I think if you listen to some demos you can get an idea of the Sound charater difference between this 2....

Regarding the PRO3...and from the Demos...i also think it is once again much different from the Quantum or ProphetX...sounds Much more Agressive, Punchy ...from the Demos at last...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2020, 02:27:59 PM »

I also have a Quantum...got the Prophet X a few days ago...an altough they both have Sample + Synth OSC...they don't sound anything alike. It's not just a question of number of voices... I think if you listen to some demos you can get an idea of the Sound charater difference between this 2....

Regarding the PRO3...and from the Demos...i also think it is once again much different from the Quantum or ProphetX...sounds Much more Agressive, Punchy ...from the Demos at last...

Exactly... Its like picking an icecream... Both are icecream if that is what you fancy, but the taste differs... I would like some PX colored balls please!  ;D  :o

Regarding PRO3, it is a completely different matter... Oscillators are two different types if we look away from the digital wavetable oscillator, and filter is very different sounding, plus it is monophonic and paraphonic. Filter choices also sets it appart from PX.

PX is to me, more like its own, a sampling oscillator synth with analog SSM modelled filters... Coupled with half a Prophet 12 to boot, except it is like two P12 oscillators thru SSM filters instead of Curtis ones. This is one reason I might rather get a PX than a P12, since it is like a hybrid sampler/P12 with more interresting filters... Then I can always get a REV2 to satisfy me with a brassy analog poly sound.

But again... Won't happen, because they will not make a desktop version, it is almost as certain as Amen in the church.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 02:31:39 PM by Razmo »