sysex question

MMYYKK

• Science
    • MMYYKK
sysex question
« on: February 15, 2020, 03:49:13 PM »
Peace yall,

I'm trying to export patches from my pro6 using SysEx librarian. However, it doesn't seem like Its working properly. when I try a bulk dump (ALL)  the process completes on SysEx librarian before the pro6 finishes its dump. the resulting file is only about 1.2kb which seems small for a bulk dump. also, no matter which type of dump I choose all the files come out to the same exact size (1.2kb) on Sysex librarian, so it seems like something is off. I'm scared to try to test them because I don't want to mess up my patches or anything. does anyone have experience with Sysex Librarian or can anyone tell me if they've experienced this issue?

Thanks,

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: sysex question
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 12:38:06 PM »
I am not sure, but the reason it stops earlier might be because it stores one sysex messsge, and then stops.

All Sequential synths send multiple sysex messages when you dump more than one preset... It actually send a series of sysex messages, one for each preset to be exact.

You need a librarian that will just store anything it gets, and then let you press a confirmation button when you know it has dumped all messages.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 12:48:32 PM »
Besides, 1,2kb seems very much the size of a single preset, so I think I might be rights.

What happens is that the librarian waits for the first sysex message, then starts to store what it recieves... When that message is done, it stops... But the P6 simply start to send the next preset in the bank, but now the librarian has stopped looking for more data.

I bet there is a way to let your librarian take multiple messages in one go... Check its manual.

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 08:42:41 AM »
I have no idea if this has something to do with your issue, but if I recall correctly I had to configure sysex in midi-ox by setting "Low level input buffers" and "Low level output buffers" to 1024 Bytes. I read about this in the manual or on the Sequential webpage, I think.

MMYYKK

• Science
    • MMYYKK
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 08:02:13 AM »
Besides, 1,2kb seems very much the size of a single preset, so I think I might be rights.

What happens is that the librarian waits for the first SysEx message, then starts to store what it receives... When that message is done, it stops... But the P6 simply start to send the next preset in the bank, but now the librarian has stopped looking for more data.

I bet there is a way to let your librarian take multiple messages in one go... Check its manual.

Thanks for the Re:

I did end up figuring it out and it was exactly this! I was using the "record one" instead of the "record many" function so I was only getting the first message. once I used the "record many" function it worked flawlessly.

I guess it's different for all synthesizers because I used the "record one" function for my MOOG SUB37 and it worked just fine for a bulk dump and individual presets.

one last question:

it says in the manual that any dumped presets will automatically be loaded back into the same spot it was recorded from. Is there ANY way to change this functionality or a workaround? basically, I have loads of patches I designed but they are all in random banks. I'm trying to be better organized and I would like to create specific categorized banks for my personal sounds.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 09:52:58 AM »

What happens is that the librarian waits for the first SysEx message, then starts to store what it receives... When that message is done, it stops... But the P6 simply start to send the next preset in the bank, but now the librarian has stopped looking for more data.

Thanks for the Re:

I did end up figuring it out and it was exactly this! I was using the "record one" instead of the "record many" function so I was only getting the first message. once I used the "record many" function it worked flawlessly.

I guess it's different for all synthesizers because I used the "record one" function for my MOOG SUB37 and it worked just fine for a bulk dump and individual presets.

one last question:

it says in the manual that any dumped presets will automatically be loaded back into the same spot it was recorded from. Is there ANY way to change this functionality or a workaround? basically, I have loads of patches I designed but they are all in random banks. I'm trying to be better organized and I would like to create specific categorized banks for my personal sounds.

Normally there are many ways to dump more than one preset...many manufacturers just send each individual preset in a big burst of single preset messages as this simplifies the coding a bit...but many also have what they call a BANK BULK DUMP that holds all presets in a bank, but in only one message...this is why your sub37 works with one dump... it uses a real bulk dump for a bank.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 10:00:01 AM »

Thanks for the Re:

one last question:

Regarding your question... yes, but you would need a librarian software that can copy/paste presets around...normally you would need to use a real editor for this functionality. Find a good editor for your P6, it may be the only way.

Reason is, that with each single preset message you recieve from your P6, there will be a bank and preset number associated with the single dump...when you send that single dump back to P6, then the P6 will store the single preset back into the exact same spot... to change this you need to edit the sysex dump to another bank and preset number, and that is exactly what an editor librarian does when copying, pasting etc.

You could do this with a hex editor by hand, but it would be the most time consuming and boring job ever.