Re: Polychain
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 12:11:35 PM »
That would be one heavy chain to carry  :o
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 02:37:58 PM »

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 08:59:08 AM »
I got an SE not planning to use it outside the studio, but now I want to, so I'm seriously considering getting a second non-SE version for playing out. Two in the studio would then offer obvious advantages even if you without polychain, so that makes a second purchase far from redundant. For example, with reasonably clever settings and sequencing I could  smoothly treat the pair as 6-note paraphonic, or 1+3, or 1+1 and 2-multitimbral, or 6-octave monotimbral. I'm wondering about any unobvious the-whole-is-greater-than-the-sum-of-the-parts-type benefits of having two Pro-3's. In particular, are there any suggested uses of the sequencers that you could only do with two Pro-3's? Any other clever synergies?

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 07:39:53 PM »
I got an SE not planning to use it outside the studio, but now I want to, so I'm seriously considering getting a second non-SE version for playing out. Two in the studio would then offer obvious advantages even if you without polychain, so that makes a second purchase far from redundant. For example, with reasonably clever settings and sequencing I could  smoothly treat the pair as 6-note paraphonic, or 1+3, or 1+1 and 2-multitimbral, or 6-octave monotimbral. I'm wondering about any unobvious the-whole-is-greater-than-the-sum-of-the-parts-type benefits of having two Pro-3's. In particular, are there any suggested uses of the sequencers that you could only do with two Pro-3's? Any other clever synergies?
One thing you could do is get a stereo signal like on the Pro-2 and Evolvers.

You could also try setting up the sequencer to get a different timbre every other note. Program a patch on Pro-3 1 with a sequencer triggered by key press. Set note to off on the 2nd step and the length to 2 steps. The program another patch on Pro-3 2 with a 2-step sequence with note off on step one. Now every key press should alternate between Pro-3 1 and 2.

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2021, 02:57:12 AM »
yep, definitely a cool idea there, then I'm having some follow-on thoughts as variations. thanks. You mean use one as the master keyboard that triggers both, or use a third keyboard as master? One thing that bothers me about the twin setup, by the way, is that it will be inconvenient in my space to play the two keyboards at the same time, but maybe I'd change things around if I'm really in love with the configuration. Any other synergetic thought are welcome.

One thing you could do is get a stereo signal like on the Pro-2 and Evolvers.  :P
Do you mean input an external audio Left into one Pro-3 and an external audio Right into the other Pro-3 giving me, effectively, stereo audio in? That's an interesting thought. I wonder how a stereo desktop unit like a Hydrasynth would mesh with two Pro-3's?

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2021, 09:35:30 AM »
yep, definitely a cool idea there, then I'm having some follow-on thoughts as variations. thanks. You mean use one as the master keyboard that triggers both, or use a third keyboard as master? One thing that bothers me about the twin setup, by the way, is that it will be inconvenient in my space to play the two keyboards at the same time, but maybe I'd change things around if I'm really in love with the configuration. Any other synergetic thought are welcome.

One thing you could do is get a stereo signal like on the Pro-2 and Evolvers.  :P
Do you mean input an external audio Left into one Pro-3 and an external audio Right into the other Pro-3 giving me, effectively, stereo audio in? That's an interesting thought. I wonder how a stereo desktop unit like a Hydrasynth would mesh with two Pro-3's?
Yeah I was thinking you would use the keyboard on one Pro-3 to control both.

The Pro-3 audio path is all mono until the effects. So I was thinking 2 Pro-3s with the same patch but just with slight variations on the patch (eg cutoff down a bit on one, decay down on the other). Then control both with one Pro-3 and send the outs to 2 channels on your mixer or interface. I’ve done this on the Rev2 and Moog One using stacked voices and it has a lovely scintillating effect.