Skylife SampleRobot

Skylife SampleRobot
« on: February 12, 2020, 06:05:21 AM »
I purchased Skylife's SampleRobot (an auto-sampling software that now also supports Prophet X) ... it´s not cheap, but it has some interesting features: https://samplerobot.com
Works great, in addition to external synths it can sample plugins in offline mode at multiple real-time speeds.
PT10/12HD, Logic X, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro
cMP 5,1 Catalina; MacBook Pro

pebre

Re: Skylife SampleRobot
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 12:14:53 PM »
Hi,
I want this also. Can you tell me something about the results. How fast can you get results? Do you spend a whole evening guessing what is the right loop point or volume/velocity or does the wizard generate good results in a few minutes?
I want to sample a few of my best montage sounds and a few sounds from plugins to use as finished sounds to use live. So not as building blocks for other sounds.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 12:04:18 AM »
I have only created a few patches so far, but as far as I can tell: the wizard works reliably, the autoloop function brings acceptable results that can be corrected very well later, if necessary. However, it remains to be seen how the autoloop function works with more complex materials. Unfortunately, a round robin function is missing, at least I haven't discovered any. But that's not a big problem as I can import the finished samples into Lady Gaia's Toolkit (which is fantastic by the way), there they are recognized correctly and I can add the round robin samples there.
PT10/12HD, Logic X, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro
cMP 5,1 Catalina; MacBook Pro

pebre

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2020, 06:52:42 AM »
Purchased it myself.
I already sampled some arturia stuff (dx7 - solina) Very good results.
A tip:  I also have Mainstage and this includes audio sampler which does more or less the same thing but it spits out aiff files. These can be converted to waves and then loaded into the px via 8dio tool.
Good for AU from logic.

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:28:48 AM »
After hearing from a number of Mainstage folks and others who have AIFF files, PXToolkit was updated to support AIFF directly.  I still find SampleRobot capture and PXToolkit together to be hard to beat, but everyone has their favorite workflow.

pebre

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 04:10:15 AM »
ah super good to know Lady Gaia! A time saver.
just a quick stupid question : I'm perfectly able to use only samplerobot and import the px zip files it generates. What would be the benefit of using your PXtool as well?

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 07:47:51 AM »
SampleRobot does not yet support round robin samples, but Lady Gaia's PXToolkit does.

If you don't need round robin samples and the SampleRobot workflow works for you, then stick with it.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

Shaw

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 09:46:27 AM »
SampleRobot does not yet support round robin samples, but Lady Gaia's PXToolkit does.

If you don't need round robin samples and the SampleRobot workflow works for you, then stick with it.
Also, PXToolkit allows you to be much more flexible with velocity layers — i.e. they don’t all have to switch at the same velocity level across the keyboard.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 05:55:43 PM »
Others have covered most of the territory, but there are likely a few other subtleties.  Being able to control how stereo sounds are collapsed to mono (mix both channels, left only, or right only) leaps to mind.  I can’t remember if SampleRobot give you fine control over tuning on a per-sample basis, but PXToolkit also lets you adjust out-of-tune samples in cent increments.  Getting even more esoteric, you can use the same sample file more than once in an instrument without duplicating the sample data (useful for skewing the odds in a round-robin situation, but doubtless also in other situations I haven’t completely explored.)

These kinds of things are easier to accommodate in a tool built for a specific instrument and its export format rather than software designed to target a range of instruments.

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2020, 04:00:36 PM »
How are you achieving round robin samples with SAMPLE ROBOT? Do you just repeat the sampling process two or three times with the exact same settings?

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2022, 02:46:43 PM »
I received word from Christian at Sample Robot that their latest update fixes a bug with exporting in Prophet X format:

Prophet X export: The wrong folder name 'Tonal Percussion' was used instead of 'Tonal Perc' which is the correct name. Sample data exported to this folder will now be correctly imported to the Prophet X.

I hope this proves useful to Prophet X/Sample Robot users.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 07:01:35 PM »
For you users of Sample Robot... I want to do (what should be) a simple thing with a sample. I want to trigger sample1 with a particular key on the keyboard, and a different key for sample2, and so on for 8 different WAV files I imported. I can't find how that's done in the manual and the interface isn't friendly. Any of you know how to do this? Thanks!

Shaw

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 07:11:46 PM »
For you users of Sample Robot... I want to do (what should be) a simple thing with a sample. I want to trigger sample1 with a particular key on the keyboard, and a different key for sample2, and so on for 8 different WAV files I imported. I can't find how that's done in the manual and the interface isn't friendly. Any of you know how to do this? Thanks!

This is the tool you need to easily map samples across the keyboard:  https://www.thinkersnacks.com/px-toolkit.html
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |