After touch and layers: can you make it non-global?

After touch and layers: can you make it non-global?
« on: February 10, 2020, 07:00:54 AM »
I know, I can assign a modulation to the after touch for only one of the layers. For example, I often have a Bass sound on Layer A and a Lead sound on Layer B. I only assign an effect, say vibrato, to the lead on layer B. All fine so far.

Now, however, I need to be careful with my left hand bass not to trigger the aftertouch (which would affect layer B). Is it possible to disable the after touch on the keyboard range where A is mapped?

I hope I made myself clear. Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: After touch and layers: can you make it non-global?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 10:05:02 AM »
There's no way to selectively disable aftertouch on a section of the keyboard.  Probably gonna have to just play carefully.   

You can adjust the aftertouch sensitivity curve on a global basis... that might help.   

On a somewhat related note, for single or stack patches, there is a way to use note number modulation to reduce the amount of vibrato in bass notes vs upper treble notes.   It doesn't completely eliminate vibrato in the bass, but it does allow for more judicious usage of vibrato pressure, while maintaining tighter bass.   I uploaded a video a while back that goes through some sound design techniques.  At around 28:20 in the video below, I setup vibrato, then sub modulate with note number.   

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 06:33:05 PM »
Unfortunately poly aftertouch is very uncommon. That would also require a keybed that can offer it and there’s not many offering it.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 02:03:27 AM »
@TroyEvans, ah yes, now I get it: In order to split the aftertouch signal, you would of course need to know from which key the after touch comes: poly aftertouch.

Thanks @creativespiral, and thanks for the related hint. I think I might actually be able to use this here.