Suggestions for using the HPF?

Suggestions for using the HPF?
« on: February 09, 2020, 06:30:30 AM »
I really am loving the P6, but I'm struggling to find uses for the high-pass filter, beyond percussion sounds. I'm relatively new to synthesizers, so would appreciate if anyone has any specific recipes for using the HPF in a musical fashion.

LoboLives

Re: Suggestions for using the HPF?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 05:37:24 PM »
I always try and make my P6 a bit more vintage sounding on my patches. I tend to dial in a little high pass filter on most of my patches to take away some of the low end presence that wasn’t as prevalent in vintage synths. Nothing major but just a little bit.

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 06:33:50 AM »
OK thanks. I also came across a Marc Doty video where he would turn up the resonance and tune the HPF to the fundamental to actually get more bass rather than less, that was interesting.

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 12:47:49 PM »
Hi,

like above to thin out polyphonic sounds without, half or full keytrack. Often with the Polymod section and OSC2 in audio or LowFreq mode. With synced LFO mostly in saw modes to cut the notes fast with HPF to make 8-16 bar slow movements in sequences or pads.

Happy playing.

Martin
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:50:23 PM by martin3 »

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2020, 02:01:13 PM »
Try setting it to about 11 o clock with the resonance also around 11 o clock.  That's a real sweet spot in my opinion.  Also it's extremely useful when mixing the p6 with different instruments.  The p6 is so warm and fat that it will take over a mix if you don't use the HPF, especially if you're playing chords.  Sometimes you want that, but if you're playing with other instruments then a lot of the time you'll want to tame the sound to let the bass player be heard, or for the snare drum to sit right, or for your other P6 tracks to not overpower your mix.

It's also useful for emulating the bass cut that a ladder filter has implicitly.  For example, this patch wouldn't have been possible without the HPF -> https://youtu.be/ETZB9bmMqHM?t=23

Finally it works really well when you're using distortion.  It cleans up some of the flabbiness you run into when distorting low frequencies, and can give you really great overtones when driven hard.  Try setting the LPF to have pretty high resonance and the HPF resonance to 11 o clock, give it some distortion and play with the filter cutoffs until you find something you like. 

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 02:10:07 AM »
This is brilliant! Thanks everyone I really appreciate it. HPF is pretty rare on synths so I didn't know how to approach it but you've given me some great ideas.

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 10:34:08 AM »
Another use is to fatten the bass; set HPF resonance reasonably high and move its cutoff lower until it boosts the lower frequencies.