Gated sequencer as a pseudo-harmonizer??

4dubs

Gated sequencer as a pseudo-harmonizer??
« on: February 07, 2020, 05:31:28 PM »
Pardon my ignorance folks, but while I've programmed a ton of sounds that I'm super pleased with on the REV 2, I've never really used the gated sequencer.  From other posts I've read on the forum, it seems that it can be used for all manner of craziness or subtlety.  Would anyone know if it would be possible to use the gated sequencer as a sort of harmonizer?  More specifically, if I were to play a single note line on layer A, for example, could the gated sequencer be programmed to play layer B at a specific interval within a given scale (not strictly a parallel harmony, in other words)? 

Hopefully I'm explaining that correctly.  I use the REV 2 primarily live, and I have an Eventide H9 that could certainly handle what I'm trying to do . . . but anything to eliminate an additional piece of gear and cables at a gig!
DSI:  Prophet 6, Rev 2 16v, Pro 2, OB6
Other:  Moog One 8v, Model D reissue, Voyager, Sub 37, Nord Stage 2 SW73, Behringer Mono/Poly & 2600, Studiologic Sledge Black, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium desktop & STVC, Mellotron Micro, Modal Cobalt 8X, Expresive E Osmose

Re: Gated sequencer as a pseudo-harmonizer??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 05:41:06 PM »
No...but yes...If you mean playing the keyboard and getting real time harmonizing based on a selected scale then no. But you can program the sequencer to play a melodic sequence with harmonization. You would have to program each note of the sequence manually, but you could either do it on Layer B or use Osc 1 for the lead and Osc 2 for the harmony on the same layer. But I can’t think of any way that you could get non parallel harmonies while playing the keys live.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 05:49:51 PM »
Actually I just thought of a way but it’s horrible and you probably don’t want to do it!   ;D

Layer A has your main patch of live playing. Layer B has the same patch but you’d program the notes of the harmony and put it in keystep mode which means the sequence advances with each key played. So when you play the first note you get the “live” note from Layer a and the harmony from Layer B. The problem is that you have just 16 notes and if you make a mistake you’re fuuuuuucked!

So yeah...don’t do it!

4dubs

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 06:13:32 PM »
Hey, thanks so much for the quick response.  Yes, what you suggested is precisely what I had in mind . . . to use the gated sequencer in keystep mode.  The 16 note limit would be OK, and I'd just commit myself to not being allowed to make a mistake! :D

I used to do tricks like this live with a workstation style synth that had 16 multi-timbral parts with splits and layers . . . so it was easy to make a single note zone that would just transpose the particular note I needed for a given line.  The problem here is that for this particular song there are multiple harmonized lines that I'd have to play, which would require multiple programs with different gated sequences . . . so clearly more trouble than it's worth.

Thanks for saving me the time of attempting to program the impossible!
DSI:  Prophet 6, Rev 2 16v, Pro 2, OB6
Other:  Moog One 8v, Model D reissue, Voyager, Sub 37, Nord Stage 2 SW73, Behringer Mono/Poly & 2600, Studiologic Sledge Black, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium desktop & STVC, Mellotron Micro, Modal Cobalt 8X, Expresive E Osmose

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 07:40:41 PM »
The other way to do that is to just program the entire melody and harmony, put it in keystep mode and just hit the same root key!

But yeah bringing the harmonizer is probably your best bet.