Overlap between a Pro 3 and MEK

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
Overlap between a Pro 3 and MEK
« on: February 07, 2020, 11:45:52 AM »
I know this may be a bit premature since most of us don’t have our Pro 3 yet but I’m so obsessed with the idea of the Pro 3 it’s literally all I can think about lately haha 🤣

It has me thinking would I even use the Evolver any longer with the Pro 3?  All sound aside, I’m thinking of the ease of use alone with the Pro 3.  The sequencer and it’s ease of use would probably make me not even want to mess with the sequencer on the Evolver!

Now talking about the sound they are different animals for certain, with the Evolver having the true stereo voice and filter architecture. 

Our MEK has the potentiometer upgrade and it’s quite an awesome instrument but would it just be collecting dust with the Pro 3 around? 

What are some thoughts on this?  I believe I need to hear what yours are. 

Also my Sweetwater rep emailed me this morning to say they just got a shipment of Pro 3 in 😲😲😲 unfortunately I placed my order with another retailer as I received a friends and fam discount I couldn’t pass up.
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com
https://syzygy-x.bandcamp.com

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Re: Overlap between a Pro 3 and MEK
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »
It will certainly have it's stuff that the PRO3 will not... right now, and until they put in user wavetables (if), the Evolver has user waveFORMS... you mentioned the dual signal path yourself which is probably one of the bigger differences, besides the obvious fact that it has it's own sound character that the PRO3 will not... also it has Curtis filters, PRO3 does not... it also sport one more oscillator... but other than that i see no real advantages to keep an Evolver, unless it's a poly Evolver of course.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:21:30 PM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 01:27:42 PM »
I believe that there is an application that will allow you to load in user waveforms on the Evolver though I don’t know if I can be bothered to mess with that, but that is a great idea for new sounds..

As far as the analogue side of the Evolver with its Curtis filters we also have a Rev 2 and the Rev 2 has amazing depth in the stereo image of its sound, so there in fact may be no reason to keep the MEK around the more that I think about it.  Only that the MEK is a fairly rare instrument that isn’t made anymore is the one reason I can think to keep it, but does that truly justify not selling it to fund a nice Stereo Bus Compressor....hmmmm 🤔🤔🤔
SEQUENTIAL Pro 3, DSI Prophet 12, DSI Prophet Rev2-8, Moog Subsequent 37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Novation Bass Station 2, BOSS VE500, MOTU Micro Lite, AKAI APC240 MKII, SSL Fusion, UAD Apollo X6, MacBook Pro 2017, ADAM A7X Monitors, Logic X
www.syzygyxmusic.com

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2020, 01:49:49 PM »
I believe that there is an application that will allow you to load in user waveforms on the Evolver though I don’t know if I can be bothered to mess with that, but that is a great idea for new sounds..

As far as the analogue side of the Evolver with its Curtis filters we also have a Rev 2 and the Rev 2 has amazing depth in the stereo image of its sound, so there in fact may be no reason to keep the MEK around the more that I think about it.  Only that the MEK is a fairly rare instrument that isn’t made anymore is the one reason I can think to keep it, but does that truly justify not selling it to fund a nice Stereo Bus Compressor....hmmmm 🤔🤔🤔

I can understand your point then... There are still two reasons... One is still its character, it sounds nothing like a REV2 despite the Cuftis filter... Which leads me to the last point, its sounds... That is an often forgotten aspect of getting rid of one instrument for another... If you have a lot of sounds you use often with the MEK, the minute you sell ot, they are gone forever... And believe me, trying to recreate a preset on another synth is usually guarateed to fail... So keep that in mind if you sell it... Can you live without its sounds? And remember, just because a synth is surpassed by another, it can still be useful especially if you have spent time on finding lots of sounds for it.

I have that problem right now... I downsized to two completely new synths and can look forward to a lot of sounddesign and sound sorting from 3rd parties... But if you are prepRed for that, go ahead, you probably will not miss the MEK  :-*

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 02:17:40 PM »

I haven't had my Evolvers (first desktop then Poly) for a while now but the things I still miss are mostly the stereo filters and some of the sequencer features, like being able to modulate the sequencer clock division. But for my use the stereo filters are more important on a poly and I also use the Rev 2 for that. And apparently it's possible to modulate the clock on the Pro 3 with CV so I think that my features are covered! And the sequencer just seems awesome.

The wavetable morphing on the Pro 3 is also a huge upgrade compared to the Evolver's single wave at a time. You can keystep through waves on the Evo but it's not as rich as morphing.

OTOH the sounds I'm hearing on the Pro 3 are girthier and mids-focused when pushed whereas the Evolvers tended to emphasize upper harmonics and its filters are super brassy so there is definitely a difference in sounds.

S Y Z Y G Y X

• WWW.SYZYGYXMUSIC.COM
    • S Y Z Y G Y X
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2020, 03:33:12 PM »
Razmo, you are right about missing the custom sounds that one spend a great deal of time making and then not having them anymore.  we sold our Minilogue XD to fund the Pro 3 purchase and I must say that little synth was quite awesome, but I had made a bunch of sounds on it and now they are gone.  I’m sure the Pro 3 will be able to go to much further territories than the XD.  But this is definitely something for me to think of now with the MEK..

guyaguy..I do particularly like that sound of the Evolver too, especially with effects and spacey type of sounds, the high end on the Evolvers is very pleasing.  Now that I think of it the MEK may be one to definitely keep even just for those spacey effects type sounds alone.  I also really like offsetting the stereo filters from each other...it really pushes out the stereo field. 

You guys are doing well with reminding me what character it does have and what I’d be missing if I sold it.

One can always buy a Stereo bus compressor...one can’t always buy a mint MEK with potentiometers...

www.syzygyxmusic.com

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2020, 04:57:30 PM »
Razmo, you are right about missing the custom sounds that one spend a great deal of time making and then not having them anymore.  we sold our Minilogue XD to fund the Pro 3 purchase and I must say that little synth was quite awesome, but I had made a bunch of sounds on it and now they are gone.  I’m sure the Pro 3 will be able to go to much further territories than the XD.  But this is definitely something for me to think of now with the MEK..

guyaguy..I do particularly like that sound of the Evolver too, especially with effects and spacey type of sounds, the high end on the Evolvers is very pleasing.  Now that I think of it the MEK may be one to definitely keep even just for those spacey effects type sounds alone.  I also really like offsetting the stereo filters from each other...it really pushes out the stereo field. 

You guys are doing well with reminding me what character it does have and what I’d be missing if I sold it.

One can always buy a Stereo bus compressor...one can’t always buy a mint MEK with potentiometers...

Exactly... and when in doubt, do not do it! I have made that mistake so many times. And dont forget, that as long as you still use the MEK, it is not redundant no matter how similar you may think they are... you can always sell stuff later if you find that you stop using either one for some reason... the best reason for selling a synth is that you do not use it anymore.