What Eurorack Modules do you plan for your PRO3?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
What Eurorack Modules do you plan for your PRO3?
« on: February 06, 2020, 05:56:49 AM »
I'm curious as to what modules others would be using with their PRO3, especially if they intend on creating a permanent and fixed one, specifically for their PRO3.

With the PRO3's CV ins and outs and gate, in conjunction with using the DC offset mod matrix source, you should be able to set up some single modules to be completely controlled by your PRO3, and even saved with your preset that way... in that case you would of course need to have a module that do not have more ins and outs than 4/4 and a gate, unless you plan on only controlling some parameters and leaving the other in a static position. There are many oscillator modules that could be completely controlled by 4 ins and four outs and a gate signal.

Personally I have decided on this dual sampler Eurorack module (see picture) to be a steady companion with the PRO3's CV/Gate in and outs... Will give some nice abilities to mess around with one shot single and looped samples in the PRO3 engine... I don't want more modules because the mangling of this module is the PRO3's job via it's CV ins and outs... that way I can create presets on PRO3 that can be saved and recalled, used for samples, and the only parameter I need to do manually is the sample itself, which is exactly the only parameter I would not want to be saving at all, but rather be browsing manually from the module itself... thus this combi will become hardwired... a PRO3 with two analog oscillators, a Wavetable oscillator and two sample oscillators  8)

The module has CV input 1V/O plus for changing sample start, length and even the sample itself, so I could in essence completely store it's whole setup in a PRO3 preset, simply by using mod source DC to select the sample. It also has input for reverse playback, and even an output that signal when a sample stop playing... changing all of these parameters and having the option to use PRO3 envelopes, LFOs, Sequencer etc. is quite nice... and all that even at audio rate.

The module also lets you sample, and even via a gate signal from the PRO3 if you want to.

Each SD card can store up to 600 samples set in banks with 10 samples each. quite powerful module.

Personally I'll never enter the rabbit hole of getting a large case and a number of modules, so I am only going for completely integrated single module setups... I know that you can mangle a sample a thousand cool ways with more modules, but I wanted all modulation to be PRO3 because this allow me to save many different mangling presets meant for samples without having to constantly setup a larger Eurorack system.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 06:01:50 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

chysn

Re: What Eurorack Modules do you plan for your PRO3?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 06:30:43 AM »
If I get a Pro 3, I'll likely exit Eurorack for the most part. I can't exit Eurorack completely, because I have a paying software development gig for a Eurorack module. But the Pro 3's CV implementation is just good enough to allow that work to proceed without me keeping a bunch of modules around.

Other than that, I do quite a bit of DIY stuff that sends and consumes CV in the Eurorack range, and that will be able to continue, as well, but with an eye on extending the capabilities of the Pro 3. So the answer to "What Eurorack modules will I use with a Pro 3?" is "the ones I make."

This is all hypothetical. I'm still mulling it over.

I'm interested how your experience with the STS goes. My gut feeling is that the Pro 3's clocking capabilities aren't up to the task, and that 4 CV outs won't be sufficient to take advantage of a CV-hungry module like that. But that's what other modules are for, right?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 07:39:14 AM »
If I get a Pro 3, I'll likely exit Eurorack for the most part. I can't exit Eurorack completely, because I have a paying software development gig for a Eurorack module. But the Pro 3's CV implementation is just good enough to allow that work to proceed without me keeping a bunch of modules around.

Other than that, I do quite a bit of DIY stuff that sends and consumes CV in the Eurorack range, and that will be able to continue, as well, but with an eye on extending the capabilities of the Pro 3. So the answer to "What Eurorack modules will I use with a Pro 3?" is "the ones I make."

This is all hypothetical. I'm still mulling it over.

I'm interested how your experience with the STS goes. My gut feeling is that the Pro 3's clocking capabilities aren't up to the task, and that 4 CV outs won't be sufficient to take advantage of a CV-hungry module like that. But that's what other modules are for, right?

What exactly do you mean by clocking capabilities? ... I'm not going to use it for anything that is clocked anyway, I just want two simple sample oscillators that I can trigger from a Gate/CV out of the PRO3, and have the two sample channels mixed to one mono output to route to the external input of PRO3... in my simplest setup, that is really all I need, and the STS module already mix to mono when in stereo mode since the two sample modules share the two outputs (in essence it is two stereo playback devices), so I will not need a mixer module for this.

I was wondering if I'd need a buffered mult for the pitch CV input, since I need that distributed to both players, but I could easily just use two CV outs of the PRO3, rather than buy a buffered mult... that still leaves two CVs for manipulating the other CV'inputs, but you're right, that if I need to have flexibility there, I'd need to think cleverly and probably use some buffered mults ... I just don't think I want to take it that far.

chysn

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 08:11:56 AM »
I was wondering if I'd need a buffered mult for the pitch CV input, since I need that distributed to both players, but I could easily just use two CV outs of the PRO3, rather than buy a buffered mult

You might be able to get away with a stacked multiple cable. People will tell you that you need a buffered multiple for accurately multing pitch CV, but it's not always true. I use a stacked cable to go from Tetrpad to pair of oscillators without any trouble at all.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2020, 08:28:28 AM »
I was wondering if I'd need a buffered mult for the pitch CV input, since I need that distributed to both players, but I could easily just use two CV outs of the PRO3, rather than buy a buffered mult

You might be able to get away with a stacked multiple cable. People will tell you that you need a buffered multiple for accurately multing pitch CV, but it's not always true. I use a stacked cable to go from Tetrpad to pair of oscillators without any trouble at all.

Yeah, I know it depend in the ohm resistance in both input and output, so in general I will have to try it out to find out... anyway I may get the 6U RackBrute anyway after thinking about it... as you, when I think about it I don't really NEED anything Eurorack... i can do samples on the Quantum... but I always liked the idea of messing around with Eurorack, just for the fun of it, so maybe I'll just get that 6u RackBrute, and call it a "playground" not needed, but just WANTING... and then buy whatever modules I find fun and interresting... not because I need them, but just to play around with... I may sample the output for the quantum anyway... so it is not completely in vain.

So I'm thinking about going for the TipTop ONE sample player as I did before... it more suits my mono needs, and do not have all that crazy CV options as the STS.

I have NO CLUE as to what else I'll be wanting to try out to be honest... time will have to tell... also, many modules will be second hand, as I do not want this thing to be too expensive...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 08:29:59 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 12:00:30 PM »
Personally I'll never enter the rabbit hole of getting a large case and a number of modules
Yeah we all said that at the beginning :)

But I'm actually planning to downsize, partly with help of the Pro 3 since it can cover a lot of sequencing, has the osc outs, etc.

I think I'll end up with 7U which can function on its own or in tandem with the Pro 3. Here is the rack I'll probably end up with. Two main reasons I still want Euro are the Toppobrillo Triple Wave Folder and Joranalogue Generate 3. I love wavefolders especially in combination with audio rate modulation so I'll control that with Pro 3 and feed the audio into the Pro 3. And the Generate 3 can handle all sorts of sounds that the Pro 3 VCOs can't, including through zero FM and AM in addition to individual outs for even and odd harmonics, etc. Most of the stuff shown in that rack I have but I don't have the Generate 3 yet. But it's another 3 to go along with the Pro 3's 3 theme!

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 06:15:16 AM »
This would be absolutely nuts with the Pro 3's sequencing triggering it.

http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/assimil8or/

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 10:05:58 AM »
This would be absolutely nuts with the Pro 3's sequencing triggering it.

http://www.rossum-electro.com/products/assimil8or/

It would though be impossible to control it fully... the Asimmil8tor simply has waaaay too many CV inputs for the PRO3 to control it satisfyingly.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2020, 10:12:38 AM »
I will add a rackbrute 6u, but mostly for fun, getting modules i find interresting, simply to play around with them...nothing will be planned ahead, I will just buy a module here and there until it has been filled up... it will be a. Simple toybox. My only planned modules are a TipTop Audio ONE for sample playback, and any module that replicates the Smallstone phaser... after those, only time will tell because me and planning a eurorack in advance is like trying to count the grains of sand in sahara... it would never end.

chysn

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 10:13:09 PM »
Maybe the best Pro3 utility rack would contain things that are common in modular but that Pro3 can’t do. Logic, comparators, PLLs, switches (both sequential and CV), morph controller, shift register stuff, Euclidean stuff. Basically the control infrastructure of Eurorack that doesn’t necessarily produce sound.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 01:04:46 AM »
Maybe the best Pro3 utility rack would contain things that are common in modular but that Pro3 can’t do. Logic, comparators, PLLs, switches (both sequential and CV), morph controller, shift register stuff, Euclidean stuff. Basically the control infrastructure of Eurorack that doesn’t necessarily produce sound.

Most likely, but thise modules also sound the most boring to me... I think it is because i wanted PRO3 to do all control stuff itself, as this can be saved with a preset, and then use stuff that directly process sound in modules like filters, oscillators, wavefolders etc...

But again, I think it is a very personal matter what your modules will be. I do not plan ahead that long... I usually have an interresting module or idea that I want to try out, and then get this module... If I find I may need logic or utilities to use ir, I will get those specifically later.

For example, I hear Dave play a very convincing stringer sound in the video demos quite often, and my fingers itch allready to try it thru a Smallstone phaser module. Just like I also want to mess throwing samples thru PRO3. A few filters like MS20, ARP2600, Polivoks etc. Would also be interresting
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 01:06:20 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 01:20:39 AM »
Boring modules are what make modulars tick! But modules like comparator and logic would only be useful if you're sequencing the Pro 3 with an external gate sequencer. I'll probably mostly be using the onboard one, a DAW or my fingers on the keys.

Here's what I'm pairing it with. It's my full Euro setup--downsized to just 6U but able to have 2 synth voices and a drum voice. But I'll probably use it to augment the Euro and vice versa.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2020, 02:26:02 AM »
I know the boring modules are the gears in the modular, but that does not make them less boring nonetheless  ;D

But if you plan to use the PRO3 for modulation, and only want to insert things in its signal chain, then you should be able to avoid quite a few of these boring modules.

I am pretty sure my rack will end up with a few oscillators, waveshapers, effects, filters and stuff like that... I may need to get maybe a mixer, active mult and maybe even a few VCAs... I just will not get them unless I REALLY need them.

chysn

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 08:02:53 AM »

Most likely, but thise modules also sound the most boring to me...

I guess that would be a reasonable reaction if I had suggested mixers, function generators, and VCAs. "Boring" is a strange adjective for logic, switches, and shift registers. Those are the things are will turn a static sequence into a responsive being.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 10:23:24 AM »

Most likely, but thise modules also sound the most boring to me...

I guess that would be a reasonable reaction if I had suggested mixers, function generators, and VCAs. "Boring" is a strange adjective for logic, switches, and shift registers. Those are the things are will turn a static sequence into a responsive being.

Probably because "boring" is a personal thing... I've never been completely into the Eurorack thing, I'm just trying to use some of it, to alter the PRO3... I guess thatthe difference becaue normally you would use PRO3 to control and interact with a Eurorack system, and in that case I get you... but in my cae, I'm trying to get a few Eurorack modules to interact with the PRO3... a bit different approach, and thus these logic modules become less useful... but who knows, maybe Ill change my mind... right now those types of modules are just on the farthest end of my list :)

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2020, 11:47:10 AM »

Probably because "boring" is a personal thing... I've never been completely into the Eurorack thing, I'm just trying to use some of it, to alter the PRO3... I guess thatthe difference becaue normally you would use PRO3 to control and interact with a Eurorack system, and in that case I get you... but in my cae, I'm trying to get a few Eurorack modules to interact with the PRO3... a bit different approach, and thus these logic modules become less useful... but who knows, maybe Ill change my mind... right now those types of modules are just on the farthest end of my list :)
I think you'd be interested in some of the new analog VCOs like the SSF Zero Point Oscillator or Joranalogue Generate 3. Both handle through zero FM and AM and have outs for even harmonics. I chose the ZPO because it has A and B channels of the same oscillator that can be "morphed" and controlled individually--perfect for evolving textures. Feed it some EGs, LFOs, and audiorate VCO modulation and you basically have an analog wavetable synth!

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2020, 12:15:35 PM »

I think you'd be interested in some of the new analog VCOs like the SSF Zero Point Oscillator or Joranalogue Generate 3. Both handle through zero FM and AM and have outs for even harmonics. I chose the ZPO because it has A and B channels of the same oscillator that can be "morphed" and controlled individually--perfect for evolving textures. Feed it some EGs, LFOs, and audiorate VCO modulation and you basically have an analog wavetable synth!

Sounds interresting, I will make sure I have a look at them  :)

chysn

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2020, 02:46:11 PM »

Fair point. For the most part, I'm trying to talk myself through what I would do with a Pro3. I'm still working on re-calibrating my concept of a "synthesizer" in general. I would not be using Pro3 to control a Eurorack system. I'd be using a Eurorack system to supplement the things I find important about Eurorack, but that Pro3 lacks.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

he/him/his

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2020, 03:46:33 PM »

Fair point. For the most part, I'm trying to talk myself through what I would do with a Pro3. I'm still working on re-calibrating my concept of a "synthesizer" in general. I would not be using Pro3 to control a Eurorack system. I'd be using a Eurorack system to supplement the things I find important about Eurorack, but that Pro3 lacks.

But that is exactly what I want to do too... I just guess it may be different things we want to alter on the PRO3 then :)

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2020, 09:51:00 PM »
Found another good pairing: I just got the Basimilus Iteritas Alter drum module. It’s a mono unit so Pro 3 really helps with taming it when feeding that into external in and using the envelope follower to modulate cutoff with a shorter EG decay. Then the filter can be used to manually or automatically change the sound. Sync the clocks of the drum gate source and use the step sequencer to pan steps, control cutoff, etc. I ran it through with Hold on and the wavetable Osc droning but it fades in and out with the EG. Lovely stuff.

Now that I think of it the Pro 3 sequencer should pair well with it since it can work with just one gate and some CV sources.