Understanding Pro-3 Clocking

chysn

Understanding Pro-3 Clocking
« on: February 06, 2020, 04:19:47 AM »
Given how important clocking is to Eurorack synthesis, I wanted to understand some things about how the Pro-3 handles incoming and outgoing triggers.

First, I notice that there are CV1-4 Trigger Outputs in the modulation destinations. The manual doesn't explain how this works, but my assumption is that they'll send a trigger on the rising edge of whatever the source is. Is that right, or are triggers sent on some other event?

Second, to integrate well with Eurorack, we'd need some way to either advance the sequencer via CV trigger, or get a trigger output when the sequencer advances. Preferably both. I don't immediately see anything like this in the modulation lists. So how do we sync the sequencer? If the sequencer can be synced to an LFO, then the CV1-4 Trigger Outputs, as described above, could be used...?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Re: Understanding Pro-3 Clocking
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 01:22:43 AM »
Hey there! Assuming nothing has changed from the Pro2 (why should it?)

Second, to integrate well with Eurorack, we'd need some way to either advance the sequencer via CV trigger, or get a trigger output when the sequencer advances. Preferably both.
Yes, BOTH! You can set the PlaySource of the sequencer from Keys or the Sequencer Play Button to any of the 4 CV ins, maintaining the option of gating it (step per trig) or letting the whole sequence run on one trig. It can not be sequenced by an internal LFO tho.

CVtrig1-4 can only be set as destination of a sequencer track (with voltage and tie options).
You would have to set a threshhold that for example a LFO would have to pass, which you canīt do. (The mod matrix looks the same on both machines)

For example I use the CVtrig to control a vcswitch in my eurorack setting the signal to only pass on if itīs "louder" then the trig coming from the pro2 sequencer.

The regular CV outs can be used in the mod matrix as well.

chysn

Re: Understanding Pro-3 Clocking
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 06:59:17 AM »
Yes, BOTH! You can set the PlaySource of the sequencer from Keys or the Sequencer Play Button to any of the 4 CV ins, maintaining the option of gating it (step per trig) or letting the whole sequence run on one trig.

Excellent! Yes, I do see that in the manual now. Thank you for directing me toward "play source."

CVtrig1-4 can only be set as destination of a sequencer track (with voltage and tie options).

Okay, that's nice.

Thanks for the info!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his