Rev2 Workflow in Ableton

Rev2 Workflow in Ableton
« on: February 03, 2020, 05:01:55 PM »
I just recently got a Rev2 and love it. I’m brand new to hardware synths and am slightly struggling with finding a good work flow within Ableton. As it stands now, I’m using an external instrument to record midi and then tracking with a separate audio track. I’m a little confused about how to best record automation from the Rev2, whether to do it in the EI track or the audio track. Ideally, I’d like to be able to make changes in the automation if needed through the track.  I also have an issue when I’m in the session mode when my audio track loops it cuts and drops out before the loop, but loops smoothly when it’s just the external instrument track. Any work flow tips or help with my current issues would be greatly appreciated. Again, please excuse my ignorance because I’ve only used software synths up until this point.

Re: Rev2 Workflow in Ableton
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 05:27:54 PM »
There are a few options. One is the SoundTower plug in which gives you access to all parameters within Ableton so choosing the parameter to automate is simple. And you can always modify the automation afterwards. Another option is codeKnobs which essentially does the same. Other than optics I'm not sure if there are pros/cons as I've only used SoundTower.

You can also map parameters in a rack if you're just planning to automate a few parameters like cutoff. This looks like a decent tutorial for that, even though it's for a TB-03.

Finally you can just go to Envelopes in the MIDI clip and create the automation envelopes there. The problem is that for all parameters that aren't universal across all/most synths it just shows the number. (This should change with MIDI 2.0 but that's a different topic.) So you're options are: 1) Look up the CC you need in the manual or 2) Record the automation by moving the knob you want. For example if you want to automate cutoff hit record and while the MIDI notes trigger notes on the Rev 2 use the cutoff knob to record the cutoff automation you want. Now that it's recorded you can go back and edit it.

Finally, the onboard gated sequencer offers a ton of parameter automation. It takes a bit of getting used to but once you learn it, it can be invaluable. It's one of my favorite things on Sequential instruments including the Rev 2.

So you can have a look and see which method works for you. There could be others that I'm not thinking of that others might pipe in with!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2020, 05:29:27 PM by guyaguy »