when will the 1.5.8 beta be officially released?

pfrf

when will the 1.5.8 beta be officially released?
« on: January 26, 2020, 01:54:32 PM »
I see it went into beta almost three years ago.  I'm on 1.5.5.  Have most of you installed 1.5.8?  Is it working well?

Re: when will the 1.5.8 beta be officially released?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 11:37:00 PM »
Also wondering if this is final. It doesn’t look to be available on DSI/Sequential OB-6 download page.

Will wait official release on their website before installing.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 03:19:27 PM »
I’m running 1.5.8.  Haven’t noticed any issues...

pfrf

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 09:27:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  I haven't noticed any issues with 1.5.5 although the changelog mentions some kind of arp sync problem, I think.  I need to test it.  I'll wait for an official announcement about 1.5.8, but I'm starting to wonder if that will ever come.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 11:04:19 AM »
OS 1.5.5 looks indeed quite stable, which is the reason why I won’t jump quickly to the 1.5.8. Not sure that it will ever be officially released.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 02:59:43 PM »
You can always downgrade to 1.5.5 if you have any issues. Sequential support told me over the phone that it won’t cause any problems to downgrade.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 10:49:04 PM »
FWIW, I'm still running 1.2.0 that I got with my unit when I bought it new, and it works perfectly fine. Never felt I needed to upgrade.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 11:12:37 AM »
FWIW, I'm still running 1.2.0 that I got with my unit when I bought it new, and it works perfectly fine. Never felt I needed to upgrade.

On the flip side, I upgraded as soon as I brought it home a few days ago (1.5.5 to 1.5.8). No noticeable issues as of yet and the process was easy to follow despite never having used sysex to update a synth before - yes I’m that new to hardware (I’m a software musician). But I fell in love with the OB-6 at first listen. How can you not??  :D

jo

• OB-6 Player
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 05:49:05 PM »
Yes I'm on 1.5.5 and always thought 1.5.8 was just the alternate tunings which I don't think I need at the moment so never bothered, but didn't realize there are a few more litle fixes, will have to check it out again

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 06:54:52 PM »
Yeah, what’s the deal with this and the Prophet 6 betas? These synths have been out for a few years now. How much longer before the official versions become available?

Pym

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 05:04:19 AM »
The last update will probably happen after we get MPE implemented, which will happen likely after the quarantine dies down
Sequential

kris

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 01:52:30 PM »
The last update will probably happen after we get MPE implemented, which will happen likely after the quarantine dies down
That sounds great! Any chance to get the whole NRPN global settings bugs fixed? I hadn't even bothered to submit them because I though nobody would care, and briefly considered offering my help to fix them myself ;-)

Any chance to iron out the quirks there as well?
Check out the free Sysex Librarian for Sequential and more https://github.com/christofmuc/KnobKraft-orm

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 11:06:30 AM »
If I could add one thing that seems reasonable to an ignorant synth design/programming layperson like myself, it would be a toggle to "relax" the envelope of the LFO shapes so they don't always have to be brutally on point, opening the door to more gentle/shifting soundscapes. This dream world would also allow the toggle to work for when Osc2 is in LFO mode (or even to ONLY have an impact on Osc2 rather than the normal LFO, since the other shapes are so audible when using Osc2). Doesn't even have to be adjustable, just an on/off toggle somehow, somewhere. For me, this would be tremendously more useful than MPE, for example.

At any rate, I love it for what it is, and plan to have the OB-6 for a very long time, indeed. There's definitely some nits that, from the outside, seem solvable within the given interface (I'm a mobile UX designer/researcher for 20+ years). But, again, hardware interfaces and the software supporting them are very connected, so something like this could be much more costly to implement (time = $ for small companies) than it would appear.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:09:12 AM by djs123 »