How is the keybed of the OB-6?

How is the keybed of the OB-6?
« on: January 22, 2020, 09:59:53 PM »
Curious how you find the keybed? Wondering if I should get the module and use my primary midi controlling keyed synth (the DeepMind 12) or replace the DM12 with the OB-6 as my primary set of keys.  Would you say the OB-6 has a better than usual keybed? I’m looking for something not too stiff or loose, that just right feel... I know hard to explain...

Also, might be cool to have the OB-6 at the forefront on display too while the DM12 is traded for a rack mount..hmmm... I dunno.

The problem for me with the OB-6 module is that it is not rackmountable. Since that is the case I’m sorta leaning towards the keyboard but it is a bit of a price diff... anyways I’m ok to pay the diff just hoping the keybed feels reaaaally nice.

OB-6 owners, what ya say?

Re: How is the keybed of the OB-6?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 07:45:41 AM »
For me it's just right.  For reference: I like it better than the keybeds on the Pro2 or P12.   Outside of the Sequential family: I don't recall the feel of the Deepmind keys being too much different, though for what it's worth, one of my Deepmind C keys is feeling kind of weird, like not springing back as much- but has not affected playability thus far. 

My only complaint on the OB keys is that aftertouch attack on the OB6 is quite sudden.  The PO8 and Mofo keybeds were my favorites of the DSI synths so far.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 06:03:45 PM »
I have had mine for a couple of years. I liked the keybed (Fatar TP-9S, I believe) right from the start and nothing has changed. I use it as my controller for other synths and the DAW, and finally got rid of my Roland XP-10 which was my 'go to' kit for many years (I never really liked the single-stick MOD/PITCH gizmo)...hadn't used the voices in years (but I digress).

I agree that the aftertouch is a little 'touchy', but if you set up the gain and offset on the effect you're programming with it, it does have a nice sweet spot, and so I have grown accustomed. The Pitch Bend and Mod Wheel are very good.

The only thing that I miss is my XP-10 was 61 keys and the OB-6 is only 49...not a killer but occasionally annoying, however, on the positive side, it takes up less space!
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2020, 10:43:57 PM »
Well, that all sounds promising. I think for a synth such as the OB-6, I would say I’ve decided to get the keyed version for a couple reasons. Mainly because this will be my treasured synth, the sort of special synth of this generation, jewel in the crown sorta thing! So being able to just play it without any hassle might just be reason enough.

One thing I do not really feel the need to own anymore is a midi controller for my computer vsts and Kontakt / East West orchestral instruments. I love that I can just put a synth on my desk, and control everything with it.  The only nagging thing in my mind by using a synth as a midi controller (at times) is that I’m adding extra wear and tear on a thing that I’d like to keep in good condition for many years.  But from what I understand, Sequential makes very high quality products and they will last decades.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 11:23:15 AM »
brinstar,  You won't be disappointed with the OB6 keyboard version.  The whole idea of this instrument is it's immediacy.  It's built well and not going to wear out.  Even if it did, the keybed is replaceable.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2020, 02:19:00 PM »
I've got a Prophet 6 - which uses the same keyboard - and it's the most enjoyably playable synth I've owned. You'll be pleased, I'm sure.

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 11:22:40 AM »
I confirm the above mentioned statements. It’s one of the best keybeds I’ve used so far. Better than the Korg Kronos.

You can go ahead without a hassle.

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 04:41:17 PM »
Curious how you find the keybed? ....
...OB-6 owners, what ya say?

Out of the box, I was a little disappointed because I'm used to the Rev2's 61-keys which feel perfect and it remains my favorite controller.  The OB-6 has fast lighter-weight keys than the Prophet...with the plastic knobs, I initially was unimpressed, but after about 10 minutes I warmed up to it, and the knobs feel good despite being plastic and the lighter keys aren't inferior at all, just different.   Aftertouch response on the Rev2 feels better though.

Overall I like the OB-6 keybed and recommend it.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 04:43:43 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 09:39:15 PM »
Curious how you find the keybed? ....
...OB-6 owners, what ya say?

Out of the box, I was a little disappointed because I'm used to the Rev2's 61-keys which feel perfect and it remains my favorite controller.  The OB-6 has fast lighter-weight keys than the Prophet...with the plastic knobs, I initially was unimpressed, but after about 10 minutes I warmed up to it, and the knobs feel good despite being plastic and the lighter keys aren't inferior at all, just different.   Aftertouch response on the Rev2 feels better though.

Overall I like the OB-6 keybed and recommend it.

I've had both rev 2 and OB-6 (and in fact a Prophet 6), not sure what you're talking about as all 3 share the EXACT same keys/key action (obv the Rev 2 is 61 keys which the OB-6 should have been too but that aside..).

On Rev2 the keys actually felt less good to me, even though they are the same, as the case is a touch hollower and emptier and the keys tended to feel like they bottomed out faster and made a more audible CLUNK sound than the same keys in my OB-6 and ex Prophet 6 (again due to how heavily/well built the VCO synths are).

To the OP, it's a great keybed... for fast synth playing I think it's only beaten by the Prologue 16's 61 (non aftertouch) keys  "natural touch" keybed. But that keybed isn't weighted so feels a bit cheaper (and the aftertouch on the Sequential ones is great) but is definitely fast and quieter than the OB-6 keybed (not that the OB-6 is noisy). Overall the OB-6's (Prophet 6's) keybed feels very high quality, esp next to the trash fitted to my ex Moog Sub 37 and the (never owned one and never would) Deep mind 12.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:41:02 PM by SynthHead »
Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 10:24:51 PM »
The may share the "EXACT same keys" as in the all use FATAR TP/9S, but that doesn't mean they'll feel the same. The same keys will feel different depending on the strength of springs used, aftertouch mechanism, chassis, etc.

My Rev2 and OB-6 feel quite different. The Rev2 has noticeably stronger resistance and more consistent action. As a piano player always looking for strong keyboard action, it's really nice. My OB-6 feels great relative to other synths (the Moogs and Korgs I've tried), but a little plastic and weak in comparison to the Rev2 or my MFB Dominion 1, which has by far the nicest keyboard action of any synth I've played (and yes, it's also TP/9S plastics, but the insides make a difference).

LPF83

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 04:26:13 PM »
I've had both rev 2 and OB-6 (and in fact a Prophet 6), not sure what you're talking about as all 3 share the EXACT same keys/key action (obv the Rev 2 is 61 keys which the OB-6 should have been too but that aside..).

Have you had them both at the same time, right next to each other?  If you tried them a day apart you might not notice it, but the two have a very different feel, very noticeable when you're frequently switching hands between the two.. The degree to which the resistance is felt may depend on the style of music you play, but the Rev2 keys feel a bit more solid and semi weighted.  The OB-6 keys are fast, light and punchy, which I've actually come to love for tapping out sequences.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2020, 12:26:28 PM »
I love the OB6 keybed. Perhaps I've just never owned a synth with such sensitive aftertouch. Or it could be simply the fact that there is a knob to adjust aftertouch on the fly. But it is one of the things that I like most about the synth. It is an instrument. Not just a synth engine with a keybed.

LPF83

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2020, 06:11:59 PM »
I love the OB6 keybed. Perhaps I've just never owned a synth with such sensitive aftertouch. Or it could be simply the fact that there is a knob to adjust aftertouch on the fly. But it is one of the things that I like most about the synth. It is an instrument. Not just a synth engine with a keybed.

Aftertouch on all three Sequential synths I have is superb, I'm not sure why but I feel the sensors on the Rev2 with regard to pressure resolution are best of the bunch?  It's hard to say because I play different sounds on each.  I've come to love the lighter key feel of the OB-6 that I earler described as a disappointment.  It's not lesser, just different.  Sometimes I think I play my best synth leads on it due to the lighter keyfeel.

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2020, 03:38:11 PM »
Well, that all sounds promising. I think for a synth such as the OB-6, I would say I’ve decided to get the keyed version for a couple reasons. Mainly because this will be my treasured synth, the sort of special synth of this generation, jewel in the crown sorta thing! So being able to just play it without any hassle might just be reason enough.

I thought that way when I bought my OB6 but I felt it was just too much for me to spend so I bought the desktop module and ... always regretted it. This year I had more space (moved studio) and some unexpected cash so I finally swapped it out for the keyboard version and ... it's almost like a different instrument! Much more immediate and engaging. I feel connected with it in a way I never quite did before. Very pleased I did it plus it now has 'Sequential' written on it which is way cooler.

As far as keybed goes I don't have much to compare but I'm happy with it.