If there is a Prophet 12 successor.....

LoboLives

If there is a Prophet 12 successor.....
« on: January 21, 2020, 09:29:23 PM »
What would you like to see updated/kept/added?

For me.

1. Polyphonic Sequencer. It has become a mainstay on Sequential’s gear since the Prophet 6 so I see no reason not to have it. Especially if it has some more features added to it (forwards, backwards directions etc)

2. Dual Effects with hopefully some more exotic effects like reverse delay, backwards Reverb, harmonizer.

3. Possible vocoder. Although it may seem gimmicky, I think with Sequential’s quality of engineering and sound it might offer a nice new option for Sequential fans to experiment with.

4. Expanded selection of Wavetables. All the Prophet 12 and Prophet VS waves that can be morphed with the new structure inside the Pro 3.

5. Expanded linear FM. It would be nice to have an option with some pre determined algorithms. Perhaps these can be part of the oscillator shape selection (similar to the Roland System 8).

6. Much like the Poly Evolver and now the Pro 3. A mixture of VCO oscillators and Digital oscillators. Preferably 2 of each.

Re: If there is a Prophet 12 successor.....
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 01:59:59 AM »
5. Expanded linear FM. It would be nice to have an option with some pre determined algorithms. Perhaps these can be part of the oscillator shape selection (similar to the Roland System 8).

Why? You can put together your own 4 operator algorithms already via the mod matrix.

6. Much like the Poly Evolver and now the Pro 3. A mixture of VCO oscillators and Digital oscillators. Preferably 2 of each.

That would be a PEK successor, not a Prophet 12 successor. It would also limit the options for linear FM.

Mr Kay

• The Disease
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 03:13:57 AM »
A killer would be a 12 voices Pro-2, but I guess it'd be very very expensive...

OceanMachine

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 06:22:06 AM »
The obvious thing would be a different filter. Second would be more wavetables I suppose. Don't care about a sequencer, but if there is one, gated would be the most important. Perhaps some kind of vector controller that would bring it into VS territory.

P.S. No vocoder please.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 07:32:04 AM »
A more visually apparent way of knowing if you are editing layer A or B.     User import wave shapes.  Sequencer.  Maybe a formant filter, MPE.     I'd be quite happy with that. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 12:25:29 PM »
A larger screen and characters.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 07:56:25 AM »
Must have 5 octaves, with aftertouch & must retain TWO slider strips.

Ideally I'd like 16 voice polyphony and 4 oscillators (2 analogue, 2 digital) and the simple fx as found on the Rev2.

As long as it keeps 4 LFOs and has a quality keyed (the one on the Prophet 12 is poor), then it'll be on my wish list.

Hopefully a successor will be announced soon. :)

OceanMachine

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 12:23:33 PM »
So basically you're looking for a Poly Evolver successor.

Personally I'll be happy once the team finally realizes what the world has known since Aristotle; that categories are massively important.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 09:40:51 AM »
The Market for poly synths is a helluva lot different than it was when the P12 came out. Whatever Mr.Smith and company come up with, it would have to be very interesting and at a competitive price point.
 The last poly Sequential did,  the Prophet X, in my opinion isn't as interesting as the Quantum and doesnt have enough features to compete with other sample/synth combo keyboards in the market. (That sector of the market I believe is going to become even more crowded)
 Just one dolt's opinion of course.

The soul of the Prophet 12 lies in its ability to combine multiple forms of synthesis and the flexibility and range of modulation possibilities. If they were to expand on the P12 I'd focus on that strength: more modulation sources and destinations, user created waves and wavetables,  multimode filters with routing options (possibly different filter options), MIDI 2.0, and maybe a stereo mode similar to the UDA synth's ability. If Sequential could do this at a similar price point to the original P12, they'd have a winner in my opinion.

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2020, 05:48:14 AM »
The obvious thing would be a different filter. Second would be more wavetables I suppose. Don't care about a sequencer, but if there is one, gated would be the most important. Perhaps some kind of vector controller that would bring it into VS territory.

P.S. No vocoder please.

Nah, gated sequencers on older DSI synths are quite limiting since you can only trigger them from pressing down a key. Makes playing multiple synths awkward. Much better to have the ability to just press Play and tweak away. There is of course the Poly/Gated option that the REV2 had.

I think Paul Dither's idea was the best. Instead of a joystick, we have a square X/Y/Z pad.

No reason not to have a vocoder. Moog One has one. Always a nice to have options.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 02:40:57 PM »

Personally I'll be happy once the team finally realizes what the world has known since Aristotle; that categories are massively important.

lol. Yeah I suppose I am in some respects. :)

Just need 12 more notes of polyphony and two slider strips.

I'd also like a global portamento switch and the option to solo & mute oscillators. I find it incredibly frustrating that you cannot do the latter despite having 4 oscillator buttons on the P12.

Keeping the large LED display, the dedicated bank select buttons and numeric keypad is also a MUST for me, losing any of that would immediately make it feel like a backwards step to me and was one of my frustrations when using the Rev2.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 02:45:05 PM by jazzygb1 »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 07:16:26 AM »
1. Upp the mod matrix to run at full audio rate, the current seem to run at what looks like 11Khz (maybe 22Khz because of Nyquist rate)... It lowers audio quality of FM, AM and other complex audio rate modulation.

2. Make the digital front end in FPGA for eliminating aliasing in the digital oscillators and audio rate mod matrix.

3. Use the filter chips from the Prophet X, and up polyphony to 16 voices.

4. Remove two digital oscillators and replace them with analogue ones.

5. Put the PRO3 sequencer in the engine for advanced modulation options.

6. Instead of a digital fx bank right after the oscillators, make it analog instead with drive, girth etc. This will help fattening up the two digital oscillators. In other words, everything after the oscillators should be analog exept of course for some of the FX engine.

7. Make the FX analog when it comes to the four delay lines... This would give lots of cool analog FX types... End the FX chain with a single digital FX block capable of serious reverbs.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 07:20:05 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2020, 04:28:42 PM »

Lol. Yeah I suppose I am in some respects. :)

I can't think of a more commonly stated request than this, nor another plea from its fans and customers that DSI/Sequential has more generally overlooked.  It's stramge, since the company is usually quite responsive to our interests.  For some reason, this one just doesn't strike Dave and company.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 07:25:53 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

2re

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2020, 06:57:40 PM »
Isn't the Prophet X kinda like a big boy Prophet 12? With some give-and-take of course.
I don't think we'll ever see a P12 mk2, but I do think it's realistic we'll see another hybrid poly based on the Pro 3.

3-4 wavetable oscillators. No VCOs (otherwise it would directly cannibalize the P6 and OB-6).
Ditch one of the 4-pole filters, the external input and the sequencer to keep the price down and to keep the Pro 3 more "special" (alternatively, Prophet X filters).
At least 6 voices, hopefully 8, 12 or even 16 (though it might, depending on filters, put it close to Prophet X territory price wise).
User wavetable import is a must, in my opinion. This way you could import P12 waveshapes, and essentially have an endless palate of oscillators.
Direct mixer access to each oscillator would be nice: dedicated knob to volume, waveshape, etc.

"Happy bithday, Dave! She's from me."
"I'd buy that for a dollar."
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 07:31:59 PM by 2re »