New user: sysex over usb cable?

New user: sysex over usb cable?
« on: January 19, 2020, 12:07:21 PM »
Hi there,

My question is simple. Does a simple usb cable work for receiving and sending midi and sysex files? I'm refering to data which is compatible with Tempest equipment, like updating OS or getting patches from Tempest users.
Right now, I do not have any midi device in my posession for that purpose -if that's what's needed though.
Right now, I've installed MIDI OX and giving it a go but it seems like my pc (windows 10) won't see the Tempest. Any help?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 12:12:09 PM by forrrestgump »

Re: New user: sysex over usb cable?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 07:15:24 AM »
Tempest comes with a USb.  Plug it in

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 10:05:37 AM »

Do I need an audio interface on my laptop? With a dedicated usb port ? I don't have any. All I have is standard usb coming through with my laptop. Thanx mate.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2020, 06:07:54 PM »

Do I need an audio interface on my laptop? With a dedicated usb port ? I don't have any. All I have is standard usb coming through with my laptop. Thanx mate.

Hi

Midi and Sysex:
Check Tempest "SYSTEM" settings where you have a choice of pages for SYSEX and Midi in/out options.

You don't need an audio interface for just transferring midi or sysex.

Good luck.
Tim

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 01:21:59 PM »
Simply plug it up with a usb cable... As soon as your computer has seen the Tempest, two MIDI ports is automatically set up on your computer, Tempest In and Out... Now you can use these in any software that use MIDI... Just choose the ports and make them active in whatever software you want to use your Tempest With.

Just remember to set Tempest to "SysEx Cable = USB" in the global settings...

Btw. There are bugs in the SysEx implementation when using MIDI DIN, so I would only use USB, and NOT use DIN at the same time... The bugs were confirmed, but they never fixed them before stopping OS support.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2020, 06:11:06 AM »
Currently, my set up consists of my Tempest, a PC and nothing else. I did manage to backup my files successfully using MIDI OX. That's all I want to do right now. Backing up files. The main problem I encountered backing up files was with some faulty USB out port from my PC. That's why I ended up using some other PC and there, bingo, I could back up all the files I wanted to!

Well, until today, actually.

Right now, I have this message from MIDI OX. " There is not enough memory available for this task. Quit one or more applications to increase available memory and then try again".
I checked those ones out:

Pass Syssex is : On

On the "MIDI Devices" menu item, I selected Tempest on the MIDI Input quadrant. That's when I click OK that I get the message "There is not enough memory (...)".

I've noticed that on the "MIDI Devices menu" in the "Port Map Objects Window" I have : Channels; System; MIDI-OX Events; MOXSYSMAP1.oxm;  MOXSYSMAP2.oxm

I am wondering if the "MOXSYSMAP1.oxm;  MOXSYSMAP2.oxm" files could be what causes MIDI OX not to proceed to the data transfer? I mean  I would like to have your opinion on that,  is this right having those kind of files there on that window? Should I delete them?

Grateful for some help on this cause I'm stucked!

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 10:38:11 AM »
Btw. There are bugs in the SysEx implementation when using MIDI DIN, so I would only use USB, and NOT use DIN at the same time... The bugs were confirmed, but they never fixed them before stopping OS support.
Hi, just got my first Tempest and am struggling to transfer anything TO the tempest over midi Din. What were those bugs?