DSI Pro 2 & Moog Minitaur

DSI Pro 2 & Moog Minitaur
« on: March 17, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »
Hi Guys

I am trying to use the Pro 2 as a Midi-Keyboard for the Moog as well to route the Moog in the Pro 2 sequenzer. Since three hours, I am not getting better. Could anyone of you guys explain me how to do this?

I connected all the CV from the Moog to the Pro 2...

Thanks in advance and best wishes  :D

Re: DSI Pro 2 & Moog Minitaur
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 04:29:24 AM »
It may be a stupid question to ask but just to make sure, let me start from a very basic one.
Have you read this and did as what it says there??
http://forum.davesmithinstruments.com/index.php/topic,69.0.html
prophet 12, PRO2, mono evolver KB, Hikari Duo, Cobalt5S, Hydrasynth Explorer, microFreak, 0-Coast, 0-CTRL, ensoniq VFX-SD, Kurzweil PC361, Roland V-Synth, SH-4d, JD-XA, TB-3, A-50, KORG 800DV, wavestate, modwave, kaossilator 2, volca nubass/modular, SQ-1, iOS/Mac

blewis

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 04:48:32 AM »
For notes/gate/program changes, I'd use a midi cable. Use CV for other stuff like volume and filter.

You'll get off the ground quicker with midi. By default, the midi note transmission of the Pro2 is an octave higher than you want for the Minitaur. You'll need to use the Pro2 mod matrix and adjust the Pro2 patch to remedy this (sending "note number"). I haven't fully resolved this part yet. The Minitaur will "note alias" in the higher register which makes this more confusing to figure out.

Oh, and beware that the gate output of the Pro2 is 10v. Moog says that will technically work, but they advise against repeated prolonged used of it. And there's no way to adjust the gate output level of the Pro2 with the current firmware, so best to use an attenuator. Which lead me to MIDI for notes and gate.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 02:57:48 PM »
It may be a stupid question to ask but just to make sure, let me start from a very basic one.

Hi there,

yes, I read it but to be honest, I really don`t get it. I just want to connect my Moog Minitaur with the Pro 2. Still not working...

For notes/gate/program changes, I'd use a midi cable. Use CV for other stuff like volume and filter.

You'll get off the ground quicker with midi. By default, the midi note transmission of the Pro2 is an octave higher than you want for the Minitaur. You'll need to use the Pro2 mod matrix and adjust the Pro2 patch to remedy this (sending "note number"). I haven't fully resolved this part yet. The Minitaur will "note alias" in the higher register which makes this more confusing to figure out.

Oh, and beware that the gate output of the Pro2 is 10v. Moog says that will technically work, but they advise against repeated prolonged used of it. And there's no way to adjust the gate output level of the Pro2 with the current firmware, so best to use an attenuator. Which lead me to MIDI for notes and gate.

Thank you for your help, but here the same, I don`t understand how to get it with midi :(

I would be really happy if someone of you guys could explain me how to do this.

Thank you so much!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 05:02:43 PM »

Hi there,

yes, I read it but to be honest, I really don`t get it. I just want to connect my Moog Minitaur with the Pro 2. Still not working...

Thank you for your help, but here the same, I don`t understand how to get it with midi :(

I would be really happy if someone of you guys could explain me how to do this.

Thank you so much!!!!!

Heya.. first Post  ;D so i will give it a try to help..

Connect a Midi Cable to the "Midi Out" on your Pro2 to the "Midi In" of your Minitaur..
Check your global options that "Midi Out Select" reads Midi

-Turn the on board oszillators off.
-Open your Filters .. crank up the VCA Release , Sustain and the EXT Input Level.

I think you can also send a Control Voltage (DC) to the "VCA" to keep it open via the Mod Matrix.

This is basically my setup with my Korg MS20m.. everything works fine.

To seq. your Minitaur set the "Seq Track Destination" on any Track other then 1 to "Seq Out 1 Ch1" which stands for Midi Port 1 (Out) and "Midi Channel 1"

If you really want to use CV then you gotta set Note Number > 127 > CV 1 Out so you can play via Keyboard. But here even with a DC offset of -64 to the CV 1 Out which gives you exactly 5v
the Pitch Tracking is out of tune for me. The Scale options in Global dont really help for that..

Hope I could help.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:13:41 PM by Cassandra »
Ableton Live 9 | Push 2

blewis

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 03:25:23 PM »
The Minitaur has a nice MIDI light on top left that'll tell you if it sees MIDI activity. Depending on your settings on the Pro2 and Minitaur, you may need to experiment with changing the MIDI channel of the Pro2 in the Global menu. Easier to do that on the Pro2 than the minitaur.

Novem

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 03:49:35 PM »
I ran into the same issue with the Beatstep Pro and the high Voltage, if I wanted to use midi to drive a CV capable synth..I wouldn't have need for a BSP or Pro2 in the first place..I would have just drove it with my DAW!
 So using Midi, connect midi cable out from Pro2 to in Minitaur. Press a key on the Pro2 and you should see the Midi light on the Minitaur flashing when you press the keys. Now press all four buttons on the Moog and they should begin to flash, press a key on the Pro2 and you should hear the Minitaur now. Make sure you have the Moog line out to a mixer before you try to run it into the input of the Pro2..just to make things easy.

Good Luck!

N.

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 01:17:00 AM »
Thank you guys, will try your suggestions this weekend ;D