KORG opsix

Shaw

Re: KORG opsix
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2020, 12:31:43 PM »
I'd be interested in a 61-key wavestate, and OPsix.   

A 61 key bi-timbral synth with both the Wavestate and OpSix engines would be a winner.

... and not necessarily that expensive.  They’re both digital engines after all.

... or make it a bit more interesting (and expensive, I guess) by making it 16 voice polyphonic with analog filters.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LPF83

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2020, 04:38:42 PM »
Yeah, I don't get these mini keybeds.   NO poly synth should have 37 keys!  49 keys at absolute minimum.   61 is perfect.   I bought and then sold the Minilogue XD for this reason.. good synth engine, but 37 keys severely limits which musical keys you choose to compose in, and ability to play a low bass line under chords.   

If compact size is a priority, just release a desktop/rack unit.   

Mono/Para synths:  37 keys minimum, 49 keys ideal
Poly synths:  49 keys minimum, 61 keys ideal (76,88 are nice options too, though 61 feels right for synth style boards)   

I wouldn't have a Minilogue XD in keyboard form due to the keys.  The module is $100 cheaper and paired with a good controller is a treat.

A Kadamo EssenceFM is one alternative (300 voices, 16 part multitimbral with a nice screen), but nobody seems to have them in stock at the moment.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Korg Polysix, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LoboLives

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2020, 11:08:31 PM »

A 61 key bi-timbral synth with both the Wavestate and OpSix engines would be a winner.

... and not necessarily that expensive.  They’re both digital engines after all.

... or make it a bit more interesting (and expensive, I guess) by making it 16 voice polyphonic with analog filters.

I’m shocked Korg decided against a full-size keyboard or module option on either of these. Makes no sense to me.

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2020, 12:59:37 PM »
I went and checked the specs on the Korg site and it seems that both the Wavestate and the op6 are wider by about three inches as they use full sized keys.  That is a good thing, and I hope that the next iteration of the Minologue uses this form factor as the mini keys are a deal breaker for me. 

I also agree with the consensus that these type of synthesizers require a larger screen and more octaves.  5 would be perfect for me.

RAFH

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2021, 10:45:16 AM »
So they want you to sit within the first half of the synth to sit in front of the screen and controls?

Why are Korg making these new keyboards with diminutive displays for deep engine synths?

I know that it is partly because of cost savings, but these synths will desperately need computer editors to be sanely programed.

Just picked mine up yesterday, and within 45 mins I already knew my way around the synth. It's actually pretty straight forward to program. They did an excellent job. It sounds as FM or as Digital Analog as you would like (using saw, sin, square etc) ...you can turn it into a 32 voice , 6 osc subtractive synth if you wish. They did a fantastic job. Keybed is light, but overall, the build is great for $899 CAD. I own the wavestate as well. These new synths are fantastic for sound design and exploration.

I do agree that the Wavestate definitely needed an editor to easily see what's going on. It is far more complex than the Opsix, however the Opsix is very approachable and easy to use.
Sequential Pro-3, Elektron Analog Heat MK2, Elektron Analog RYTM MK2, Elektron Analog Four MK2, Pioneer Toraiz SP-16, Behringer TD-3, 104hp Modular Synth w/Mutable Instruments modules, 48hp Modular FX box with Intellijel Rainmaker and Audio I/O, Eventide H9 MAX