LoboLives

Re: KORG opsix
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 01:20:58 PM »

*Tents Fingers*

Excellent.

OceanMachine

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 01:43:30 PM »
Far too much wasted space, which likely could have been put to better use, such as more knobs and whatnot. I'm also not overly fond of typical FM tones, but let's see what the possible conjunction of those additional modes do for the opsix. Supposedly it's just a prototype that's not ready to even be heard by the public yet, so perhaps nothing is set in stone... Plus I assume we'll see lots more attempts at knobby FM synthesis coming our way in the near future anyhow.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:09:36 PM by A Thousand Eyes »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 11:46:38 PM »
So they want you to sit within the first half of the synth to sit in front of the screen and controls?

Why are Korg making these new keyboards with diminutive displays for deep engine synths?

I know that it is partly because of cost savings, but these synths will desperately need computer editors to be sanely programed.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 09:55:01 PM »
So they want you to sit within the first half of the synth to sit in front of the screen and controls?

Why are Korg making these new keyboards with diminutive displays for deep engine synths?

I know that it is partly because of cost savings, but these synths will desperately need computer editors to be sanely programed.

Maybe that’s the point. They figure if people want insanely deep editing then they can use a software editor but if they just want to play and use the hands on controls then they just play it as it is. Personally speaking I like this set up. If you are a studio based musician and using your computer to record your music anyway, why do you need a VST interface inside your synth when you are already using a computer screen which you can get at massive sizes anyway. Seems redundant to have a dedicated large screen for each synth. Just get a really big one or run all the editors on one monitor and your DAW on another.

OceanMachine

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 11:30:41 PM »
By that logic you might as well save the space and money completely. There are plenty of good FM VSTs that are relatively cheap or free.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 12:10:14 AM »
LoboLives

As a longtime user of editors I can tell you why: because many manufacturers do not supply you with editors, Sequential being one such company... You have to rely on third party editors, many with erroneous bugs persisting or missing features... On top of this not to mention sysex bugs in the synths... And then there is the problem of lifetime support which never happens for these editors.

I have lived this editor life for more than 30 years... I know this inside out and are REALLY tired of it... That is why I ended up with Quantum and V-Synth GT... So that I could just sit in front of the synth, and have a large intuitive screen to get a good working view of everything in the synth. I do not have to think about this "editor" ever growing out of support, and since interface bugs are usually fixed, not bugs either.

That is why I now cringe at the sight of that puny OLED on Wavestate... All these fiddly small sequencer lanes blinking insanely about as the track lanes are playing... Hell, when i get older, I will have to use a magnifying glass to follow what is going on  :o

This is of course my own opinion... If other people like what they see, go for it... But I will allways be advocating for my own needs when I comment on a new synth... If it meets my needs, and certainly, this display is too crammed with fiddly small text parameters for my liking... Which is a shame since this synth sounds really really good, and is a fresh breath amongst all the usual analog stuff that comes out... That is why I want a bigger screen... I feel like I am watching a movie thru a keyhole so to speak  :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 12:14:46 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 01:47:59 PM »

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 01:14:29 PM »
https://youtu.be/cIr3c29_CRk
although not compliant with dx7 patches the voice mode´s, mpe-support and modulatable algorhitms make this super interesting (and being affordable in terms of money and desk space).

https://soundcloud.com/twisted-electrons/sets/megafm
This sounds super delicious! Well done sound demo´s contrasting that video.

https://twisted-electrons.com/downloads/MEGAfm-Manual.pdf
very beginner friendly as well

I´m kinda sold on this one

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 01:05:50 PM »
https://youtu.be/cIr3c29_CRk
although not compliant with dx7 patches the voice mode´s, mpe-support and modulatable algorhitms make this super interesting (and being affordable in terms of money and desk space).

https://soundcloud.com/twisted-electrons/sets/megafm
This sounds super delicious! Well done sound demo´s contrasting that video.

https://twisted-electrons.com/downloads/MEGAfm-Manual.pdf
very beginner friendly as well

I´m kinda sold on this one

Didnt know about those. Are really good id love it

http://maps.google.com.co/url?sa=t&url=https%3A%2F%2Fcharity.gofundme.com%2Fo%2Fen%2Fcampaign%2Fhdmega-the-blackout-pelicula-2020-completa-en-espaol-latino1

LoboLives

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2020, 10:13:10 AM »
They decided to go with this design instead....

LPF83

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2020, 10:26:23 AM »
I just hope that this and any other emerging FM synths don't omit that "oomph" the DX7 had.  I just didn't hear the oomph in the Reface DX.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2020, 02:47:46 PM »
Really sad they decided to shrink it down to the form factor they did. Wouldn't it have made more sense to do a 4-5 octave synth for those that want to play and just do a desktop module for those that want to save space?

LPF83

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2020, 04:30:59 PM »
Really sad they decided to shrink it down to the form factor they did. Wouldn't it have made more sense to do a 4-5 octave synth for those that want to play and just do a desktop module for those that want to save space?

If it sounded as good as a DX7 I probably could overlook many things.  But yes, you summarized how I feel about tiny keyboards in general: too cumbersome to use as a module, and useless as a keyboard.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2020, 04:45:10 PM »

If it sounded as good as a DX7 I probably could overlook many things.  But yes, you summarized how I feel about tiny keyboards in general: too cumbersome to use as a module, and useless as a keyboard.

If they had a 4 octave keyboard version and a desktop module version, I would have got both...but all this did was save me money for something better.

Shaw

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2020, 05:35:22 PM »

If they had a 4 octave keyboard version and a desktop module version, I would have got both...but all this did was save me money for something better.

Bingo.  When a company makes such a useless form factor, I’m grateful they are saving me money.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2020, 07:11:37 PM »
Looks like they're sticking to the Minilogue model of testing the waters for a resurgence of whatever form of synthesis seems to be making a comeback and possibly building from there. In this case, I think they would have better luck getting to the module and 61 key version straight off the bat. Hard pass on this toy.

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2020, 04:54:08 PM »
$800 and there's vids up for it all over Youtube... From the NAMM prototype looking like the most interesting thing coming down the pipeline to perhaps the biggest disappointment when considering what came out the other end.

LoboLives

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2020, 04:57:57 PM »
$800 and there's vids up for it all over Youtube... From the NAMM prototype looking like the most interesting thing coming down the pipeline to perhaps the biggest disappointment when considering what came out the other end.

And no one is calling them in it. Shills.

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 12:03:36 PM »
Yeah, I don't get these mini keybeds.   NO poly synth should have 37 keys!  49 keys at absolute minimum.   61 is perfect.   I bought and then sold the Minilogue XD for this reason.. good synth engine, but 37 keys severely limits which musical keys you choose to compose in, and ability to play a low bass line under chords.   

If compact size is a priority, just release a desktop/rack unit.   

Mono/Para synths:  37 keys minimum, 49 keys ideal
Poly synths:  49 keys minimum, 61 keys ideal (76,88 are nice options too, though 61 feels right for synth style boards)   

I'd be interested in a 61-key wavestate, and OPsix.   

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral