Sequential Pro 3 Introduction

Nokki

Re: Sequential Pro 3 Introduction
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 11:29:33 AM »
A comprehensive presentation by Gerry Bassermann:

https://youtu.be/oT5L5WqcBOk

Nice to see in the video that we can replace the buttons with the regular ones :)

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2020, 11:53:10 AM »
Gerry's using a beta unit here, which had different potentiometers.

We're using a new potentiometer in the Pro3, and the round black knobs with the aluminum caps do not fit them correctly.
SEQUENTIAL

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2020, 12:58:17 PM »

We're using a new potentiometer in the Pro3, and the round black knobs with the aluminum caps do not fit them correctly.

Somehow they do not look good on this synth in my opinion, så I'm glad you chose the other ones.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2020, 02:13:03 AM »

Does this mean they will be free from the problem where the pot shafts went wobbly (lateral movement) on earlier synths?

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2020, 09:48:13 AM »
We think the pots feel great; you'll have to try them for yourself.
SEQUENTIAL

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2020, 03:46:34 AM »
We think the pots feel great; you'll have to try them for yourself.
Absolutely looking forward to being able to try one out. Hopefully they’ll be in stores when I am in Berlin at the end of next month. 

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2020, 12:03:55 PM »

The proto-type design that Gerry is using, looks aesthetic a lot better to me. It's beautiful! I love those classic Sequential knobs!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 12:08:12 PM by Tripomatic »

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2020, 12:27:45 PM »

The proto-type design that Gerry is using, looks aesthetic a lot better to me. It's beautiful! I love those classic Sequential knobs!

Whilst I like the knobs on my P6 I think the new knobs look really good on the standard version of the P3. The black and grey caps are more suited to the black and greyish panel compared to the older knobs (in my opinion). The newer knobs are also supposed to be more sturdy with less wobble (perhaps due to the new pots). I also happen to think the standard version of the P3 looks better than the SE. To me it looks more 'nasty/punk' and suits the industrial/aggressive sounds it clearly does so well. Don't get me wrong, I love the walnut on my P6.....but the P3 sounds like a beast. And I want it to look that way as well  ;)

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2020, 01:42:14 PM »
Funny how people find one or the other prettier... personally, I find the SE version miles ahead in looks compared to the standard version, and I do not feel the normal Sequential knobs look good on any of them either... they look like they were replaced... the SE version to me also looks like much better quality which it better be for that price addition.

The Standard does look nice, but it reeks “Dave Smith Instruments” as of the older designs, and I think it would have looked cooler with some wooden end cheeks that give some contrast... another thing is the reversed coloring of the panel... I find that the SE looks better with the groupings in black on greyblue background.

But hey, each to his own... people do have different tastes. At least I am happy the SE version is the one I like best since that is the one I will be ordering next friday  :)

And let me say this; if Sequential manage to create at least an eight voice polysynth, with the PRO 3’s character, then it will be a hit, I am 100% certain of that... just upp it with an extra identical wavetable oscillator, and keep the ladder and OB filters in there, with serial or parallel routing options.

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2020, 02:25:12 PM »
Funny how people find one or the other prettier... personally, I find the SE version miles ahead in looks compared to the standard version, and I do not feel the normal Sequential knobs look good on any of them either... they look like they were replaced... the SE version to me also looks like much better quality which it better be for that price addition.

The Standard does look nice, but it reeks “Dave Smith Instruments” as of the older designs, and I think it would have looked cooler with some wooden end cheeks that give some contrast... another thing is the reversed coloring of the panel... I find that the SE looks better with the groupings in black on greyblue background.

But hey, each to his own... people do have different tastes. At least I am happy the SE version is the one I like best since that is the one I will be ordering next friday  :)

And let me say this; if Sequential manage to create at least an eight voice polysynth, with the PRO 3’s character, then it will be a hit, I am 100% certain of that... just upp it with an extra identical wavetable oscillator, and keep the ladder and OB filters in there, with serial or parallel routing options.
Neither one screams "sexy" to me. They both look very technoid--sort of like grooveboxes from the 00s. BUT more importantly the knob and function layout looks very well designed, e.g. screen in the middle, large cutoff knob, symmetric layout for EG knobs unlike the Rev2 where I have to remember that the left bottom knob is attack for filter but delay for the other EGs, etc.

A poly version would be awesome but also probably pricey with its VCOs, VCFs per voice, getting the sequencer and audiorate modulation to work well VCOs, etc.

LoboLives

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2020, 05:22:00 PM »

Whilst I like the knobs on my P6 I think the new knobs look really good on the standard version of the P3. The black and grey caps are more suited to the black and greyish panel compared to the older knobs (in my opinion). The newer knobs are also supposed to be more sturdy with less wobble (perhaps due to the new pots). I also happen to think the standard version of the P3 looks better than the SE. To me it looks more 'nasty/punk' and suits the industrial/aggressive sounds it clearly does so well. Don't get me wrong, I love the walnut on my P6.....but the P3 sounds like a beast. And I want it to look that way as well  ;)

The only thing I like on the SE is the Sequential name plate. That’s it. I agree though, I can totally picture the standard on top of a Crumar Seven played by some dude with slicked back hair, sunglasses and a cigarette in his mouth surrounded by smoke and fellow band mates.

BRE

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2020, 01:29:49 PM »
the SE version to me also looks like much better quality which it better be for that price addition.

The Standard does look nice, but it reeks “Dave Smith Instruments” as of the older designs,

It has a tilt panel and wood- and the badge- those are the only differences- for 500 dollars- have fun lol

What older design does the Pro 3 look like? No one agrees with you lol.

If anything the SE looks old and vintage while the Pro 3 looks modern.
addicted

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2020, 05:17:06 PM »
Best Monosynth Award by Sonicstate:

https://youtu.be/bCLWYeASaCU?t=934

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2020, 06:37:33 PM »
the SE version to me also looks like much better quality which it better be for that price addition.

The Standard does look nice, but it reeks “Dave Smith Instruments” as of the older designs,

It has a tilt panel and wood- and the badge- those are the only differences- for 500 dollars- have fun lol

What older design does the Pro 3 look like? No one agrees with you lol.

If anything the SE looks old and vintage while the Pro 3 looks modern.

First off, I do not like the 500 extra, I only need it because of the tilt, because of workflow... that's just how it is, and believe me, I've tried to find other setups that would allow me to get the stadard version instead because in the end, to me, the sound is what matters the most... this has NOTHING AT ALL to do with bling bling value or the like, but that said I DO like the SE look better... I just wonder what makes people choose what they do when they chose differently than me... vintage or modern... The SE is for me, as it allow me to tilt the panel so I can easily reach the knobs from the position in which the PRO3 SE will be placed. It IS an expensive "tilt" for sure, but I guess it is worth it to me.

You ask what older versions the PRO3 standard look like? ... I feel they look more like the older models with the Dave Smith Instruments logo on them, topped with Tempest like knobs... no wood (except end cheeks) ... not 100%, but a great deal ahead. This is my opinion, and I don't really care if you agree or not  ::)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 06:45:10 PM by Razmo »

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2020, 08:14:35 PM »
Best Monosynth Award by Sonicstate:

https://youtu.be/bCLWYeASaCU?t=934
Presented by Nick and Grizzly Adams at that!

OceanMachine

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2020, 08:39:24 PM »
The colorful notch ring around the cutoff (on both) remind me of synths from the early aughts. Furthermore, the standard edition has a chintzy overlay that does hark back to aughts era DSI gear. Also, I was under the impression the ends are plastic for the standard edition, not wood. Now if the "bling" upgrades are worth the extra $500, that's up to buyers, but for my money I'd like to see classier looking knobs included that match the rest of the SE design.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 09:14:02 PM by A Thousand Eyes »

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2020, 02:18:40 AM »
And just to let the facts out: in the video linked to in my thread on the SE tilt, Dave clearly state that they initially thought they would sell a few SEs and a lot more standards, but it turns out it is about equal... So i guess more people agree with me, than some initially thought  ;D

Both look good, but to me there is something slick about the SE version I just like better, in addition to the tilt option... Also notice that on SE version, the jacks on the back have been bolted to the chasis, it is not on the standard... That witnesses to me about at least some better build quality for the added cost.

Also, I read someone state that the SE version is a great deal heavier than the standard version. While that may not seem important, it does help make the synth stand more firmly and not be easily pushed around.

In fact it would be nice if Sequential told a little bit about what it is you get for 500 dollars more.. And in a bit more detail, so people may see the true value of the added cost.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 02:40:33 AM by Razmo »

OceanMachine

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 06:06:30 AM »
Also, I read someone state that the SE version is a great deal heavier than the standard version.

According to the specs, the SE version is a whopping 11 pounds more.

Standard - Weight: 16 lbs
SE - Weight: 27 lbs

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2020, 06:18:14 AM »
Also, I read someone state that the SE version is a great deal heavier than the standard version.

According to the specs, the SE version is a whopping 11 pounds more.

Standard - Weight: 16 lbs
SE - Weight: 27 lbs

Seems to be a good explanation, that the standard is perhaps best for live gigging musicians as it is also lighter, and the SE version more for permanent studio usage... anyway, I just ordered my SE version today, but there will go about 4-5 weeks before it's in stock at Thomann  :'( :( ;D

chysn

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2020, 06:46:05 AM »
Does the SE have an aluminum panel, while the standard has a plastic panel?

Graphics silk-screened on SE but adhesive overlay for standard?
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his