NAMM 2020

Shaw

Re: NAMM 2020
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2020, 01:53:47 PM »
Sounds good to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVsIAvoKdEs

Lots of people complaining about Nord’s design choices — specifically, 1 LFO per layer.  But I think that misses the point of the instrument... immediacy. 4 layers of immediacy.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

OceanMachine

« Reply #81 on: January 19, 2020, 05:20:58 PM »
I don't understand Nord at all... I was under the impression that their Stage and Electro series are their performance series. Why not offer something deep for synthesists as well? It's a digital synth in 2020, so how can you not give routing options and also why limit to one LFO per layer? I get they want to keep things simple, yet look at how easy Sequential makes such things. It just seems like all Nord do is recycle stuff that cut it for them around the turn of the millennium. Perhaps the Modular didn't sell enough for them to justify anything else... I'd at least have liked to see them explain the FM engine instead of what that their presenter repeatedly showed, which basically made it seem like this thing is aimed strictly at the crowd who will keep buying the same repackaged product under different guises.

On a side note, their Drum 3P suddenly caught my interest, although it looks like it's about time for its successor. Any word on that or are they possibly getting out of that market as well?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 06:49:58 PM by A Thousand Eyes »

LoboLives

« Reply #82 on: January 19, 2020, 10:20:51 PM »
Sadly i think Nord are getting the wrong sound designers and presenters for this thing.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #83 on: January 23, 2020, 09:15:36 AM »
If Nord want a hit, they should forget about their hurt feelings that not many liked their G2 modular successor back then, and get on with a Nord Modular G3 that is completely selfcontained, with a huge central touch screen where all the editing can be performed... Now include cv ins and outs like PRO3 and let the engine connect to outboard modular gear, and back to the engine again... That would be a proper successor to the Nord Modular in my opinion.

Regarding the wave2 i think that they are just trying to do what they did with the A1... Make sound design much faster and intuitive, which could be a good thing if they just remember to explain this properly, otherwise the only thing people see with the wave2 is an attempt to squeeze too many allready present synthesis algorithms under one interface but with too few features... This synth could easilly be heavenly intuitive to play and edit, yet people only look at the specs compared to much more complex synths that are burdened by being non intuitive and hard to program. They need videos focusing mainly on that layer concept.... The A1 is a really well thought out and good sounding synth, mainly because of its simplicity... Actually...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 09:17:46 AM by Razmo »
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Shaw

« Reply #84 on: January 23, 2020, 01:16:17 PM »
get on with a Nord Modular G3 that is completely selfcontained, with a huge central touch screen where all the editing can be performed... Now include cv ins and outs like PRO3 and let the engine connect to outboard modular gear, and back to the engine again... That would be a proper successor to the Nord Modular in my opinion.
100% accurate

Regarding the wave2 i think that they are just trying to... Make sound design much faster and intuitive, which could be a good thing if they just remember to explain this properly
No doubt.  The only thing I see wrong with the Wave 2 is their marketing department.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #85 on: January 23, 2020, 09:06:42 PM »
Best demo I’ve heard thus far of the Nord Wave 2.

https://youtu.be/zEF_C74p1jA

OceanMachine

« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2020, 10:30:10 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsLNu-oQWXA

From what I gather, although multitimbral, it's merely four sound sources at a time. Say you want to run a sample, then this limits you to 3 Op FM; or you want 2 OSCs, then it's down to 2 Op FM. So yes, its simplicity while a virtue, means it's extremely limited compared to its hardware competition. Ultimately its price seems naive to me given the market, but again, what do I know...

Shaw

« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2020, 10:32:47 AM »

From what I gather, although multitimbral, it's merely four sound sources at a time. Say you want to run a sample, then this limits you to 3 Op FM; or you want 2 OSCs, then it's down to 2 Op FM. So yes its simplicity while a virtue, means it's extremely limited compared to its hardware competition. Ultimately its price seems naive to me given the market, but again, what do I know...

Unless Nord has made a vast departure from it's previous FM implementations (most recently, the A1), each layer can function independently as a 2 OP FM synth engine.  The FM part of the OSC section had a "hidden" Osc that modulates the OSC for that layer.  And that setup can be layered up to 4 times, or combined with samples or normal VA subtractive synthesis.    But it's not like the OSC in layers 2, 3 and 4 are the modulators for the OSC in layer 1.   There is no 4 OP FM synthesis, but there are up to 4 independent layers of 2 OP FM synthesis.

Again, this assumes that they haven't changed the FM implementation from previous FM offerings.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2020, 12:36:00 PM »

From what I gather, although multitimbral, it's merely four sound sources at a time. Say you want to run a sample, then this limits you to 3 Op FM; or you want 2 OSCs, then it's down to 2 Op FM. So yes its simplicity while a virtue, means it's extremely limited compared to its hardware competition. Ultimately its price seems naive to me given the market, but again, what do I know...

Unless Nord has made a vast departure from it's previous FM implementations (most recently, the A1), each layer can function independently as a 2 OP FM synth engine.  The FM part of the OSC section had a "hidden" Osc that modulates the OSC for that layer.  And that setup can be layered up to 4 times, or combined with samples or normal VA subtractive synthesis.    But it's not like the OSC in layers 2, 3 and 4 are the modulators for the OSC in layer 1.   There is no 4 OP FM synthesis, but there are up to 4 independent layers of 2 OP FM synthesis.

Again, this assumes that they haven't changed the FM implementation from previous FM offerings.

When you look at the video, at about 3:00, they zoom in on the display, and I see what looks like 4OP diagrams... maybe they upped it to include two more operators.

OceanMachine

« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2020, 12:52:29 PM »
Alright, well I just got to watch the whole video and it's def capable of FM per single layer basis. Seems merely capable of mix level and no interaction between layers... But it does seem to be 4 Op capable.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2020, 01:26:46 PM »
Alright, well I just got to watch the whole video and it's def capable of FM per single layer basis. Seems merely capable of mix level and no interaction between layers... But it does seem to be 4 Op capable.

I think I saw him scroll thru algorithms and some of the boxes did have lines between them at different positions, so I think it may be genuine 4OP FM synthesis... maybe their manual is more insightful.

Shaw

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2020, 03:22:40 PM »

I think I saw him scroll thru algorithms and some of the boxes did have lines between them at different positions, so I think it may be genuine 4OP FM synthesis... maybe their manual is more insightful.

I think you guys are right.  I certainly hope so.  I had just listened to the video earlier without actively watching.  It certainly appears to have 4OP FM... I’d bet that the Osc control effects all 4 operators at once.  That would be a very Nord way of doing it.  They kind of pre-program the FM synthesis to capture wide sweet spots.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2020, 11:48:13 PM »

I think you guys are right.  I certainly hope so.  I had just listened to the video earlier without actively watching.  It certainly appears to have 4OP FM... I’d bet that the Osc control effects all 4 operators at once.  That would be a very Nord way of doing it.  They kind of pre-program the FM synthesis to capture wide sweet spots.

Well, if you want emmediate FM synthesis, they would certainly have to come up with a way to simplify it  ;D... I actually like the idea, and liked it when KORG did it in both DS-8 and 707 back then... It makes FM programing so much more intuituve... Yes you take some hardcore FM design possibilities out of it, but personally I feel it is worth it.

Shaw

« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2020, 05:14:07 AM »

Well, if you want emmediate FM synthesis, they would certainly have to come up with a way to simplify it  ;D... I actually like the idea, and liked it when KORG did it in both DS-8 and 707 back then... It makes FM programing so much more intuituve... Yes you take some hardcore FM design possibilities out of it, but personally I feel it is worth it.

I agree.  I wouldn’t miss the “hardcore FM design possibilities” anyway because I don’t find much of it very useful on a musical context.  That may be my FM ignorance showing, but I do appreciate Nords approach of providing immediacy of getting musical tones.  That’s really what their synths have always been about.

LoboLives

« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2020, 09:59:02 AM »
How problematic/intuitive would it be to replace the Nord Wave 2's keyboard with a synth action one?

Shaw

« Reply #95 on: January 29, 2020, 10:09:47 AM »
How problematic/intuitive would it be to replace the Nord Wave 2's keyboard with a synth action one?
First, you should consider that you will immediately eliminate your warranty.
If the action bothers you that much, use another synth as a controller.  You should still be able to do morphing via the mod wheel, velocity and after touch.

LoboLives

« Reply #96 on: January 29, 2020, 11:14:50 AM »
First, you should consider that you will immediately eliminate your warranty.
If the action bothers you that much, use another synth as a controller.  You should still be able to do morphing via the mod wheel, velocity and after touch.

Yeah I know there are some companies who actually let that slide (Sequential being one) but I don't think Nord is so easy going.

Actually I might just message Nord and see what they say...never know. They might do a four octave synth action version later on.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 11:26:06 AM by LoboLives »

« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2020, 12:53:42 PM »
They could do with a little scaling back.  At this point, the Rev2 is the closest thing to the poor man's Sequential synthesizer!

I don't disagree that I'd like to see some other mid-range options from DSI, but that part of the market is FLOODED (Hydrasynth, Argon8, Wavestate, Jupiter-X, Minilogue-XD etc), so the risks of product-market-timing-fit are much higher than ever before.  Elsewhere you've asked what Dave is particularly good at, and I think it's bang-for-buck synthesizing for songwriting.  He knows what real players and producers want, and how to give it to them with an interface that's a joy to use, with build quality that lasts a generation, and get the highest quality sounds available anywhere near it's price range.  But with the Rev2 desktop for example, I just don't know if you can get a whole lot cheaper than that without sacrificing sound or build quality.

And there is still the AS-1, which even though not Sequential badged, everyone knows is a Dave Smith modern take on the Pro One in smaller form.

« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2020, 01:19:17 PM »
get on with a Nord Modular G3 that is completely selfcontained, with a huge central touch screen where all the editing can be performed... Now include cv ins and outs like PRO3 and let the engine connect to outboard modular gear, and back to the engine again... That would be a proper successor to the Nord Modular in my opinion.
100% accurate

200% agree.

Regarding the wave2 i think that they are just trying to... Make sound design much faster and intuitive, which could be a good thing if they just remember to explain this properly
No doubt.  The only thing I see wrong with the Wave 2 is their marketing department.

I dunno, $2700 seems a bit much, when I have tons of more interesting VSTs that integrate with my Komplete keyboard.

OceanMachine

« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2020, 05:18:35 PM »
After hearing some nice things come from the Lead 4, I'm starting to seriously come around on the Wave 2, especially if the right deal comes around. Wish there was an in-depth dive for it already. I know there's a lot of craziness going on right now, but this has to be the most covert launch for a big name synth manufacturer in recent memory... I mean, it's already in a few consumers' hands apparently.