NAMM 2020

LoboLives

Re: NAMM 2020
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2020, 08:22:11 AM »
Really, now!  Tell me, guys, what do I say to my wife?  "Sweety, I need, I really need this synthesizer.  Or I'll die.  You don't want me to die of synthesizer deficiency syndrome, do you?"

No need for drama. She probably knows very well by now how much you're into music. Just tell her that an instrument has been rereleased in limited quantities you've been longing after ever since you got into synthesizers.

As for the price: While not being on the affordable side, I still don't think it's overpriced or too expensive for what you get in hardware if the built quality is anywhere close to what it looks like. The TTSH clone cost $3,400 and that was without the tolex-covered enclosure, the flightcases and the keyboard controller.

Agreed. The ARP 2600 isn't at all overpriced for what it is, maybe for what it does features wise but not for what it is. It's far cheaper than a $15,000 Moog System 15.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2020, 09:12:22 AM »
I agree.  The ARP 2600 is worthy every dime of that $3,900.

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2020, 09:21:59 AM »
Once the full scale limited edition ships, those without the means may be lucky enough to get a second shot at it:

Are Korg going to announce a smaller and more affordable ARP 2600?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2020, 12:25:11 PM »
Egads, it's painful to look at that sad little shrunken version!  I would be content to let the 2600 live on in all its original full-sized glory, without ever being able to afford one.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 01:37:59 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jg666

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2020, 03:36:55 PM »
Really, now!  Tell me, guys, what do I say to my wife?  "Sweety, I need, I really need this synthesizer.  Or I'll die.  You don't want me to die of synthesizer deficiency syndrome, do you?"

Try telling her that it’s an investment  :) I suspect that once all the units have been sold it may well increase in value

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2020, 03:51:14 PM »

Try telling her that it’s an investment  :) I suspect that once all the units have been sold it may well increase in value

Not bad.  So, it's not about me...it's about us!  It could almost work, if I could say it without looking her in the eye.

jg666

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2020, 03:59:07 PM »

Not bad.  So, it's not about me...it's about us!  It could almost work, if I could say it without looking her in the eye.

LOL good luck :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LoboLives

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2020, 04:09:42 PM »
Personally speaking. I think one should never have to justify their own enjoyment or happiness to their significant other. I had a girlfriend once who made the remark that buying movies was stupid and a waste of money when I could just download them. I told her to get lost and went out and spent about $500 on movies. Seeing where some of my friends are with their relationships and their own personal happiness, I know I've made the right choice. I'm with someone now who doesn't even bat an eye when I say "Hey Moog just brought out a new synth." or "Oh man, they are finally bringing Invasion Of The Flesh Hunters on Blu Ray!" or "I need to make room in the fridge for some film stock." She just smiles and says "Tell me about it." or "Let me help you make room." Even when we were at a music store I needed a MIDI Solutions Rack System and was like "I'll get it later, let's go for dinner." She bought it right then and there for me and said "Now we can go to dinner."

OceanMachine

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2020, 04:59:20 PM »
If you love her so much, why don't you marry her? Then we'll see what kinda vise she puts yer b@**s in.  ;D

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2020, 05:54:42 PM »
Personally speaking. I think one should never have to justify their own enjoyment or happiness to their significant other. I had a girlfriend once who made the remark that buying movies was stupid and a waste of money when I could just download them. I told her to get lost and went out and spent about $500 on movies. Seeing where some of my friends are with their relationships and their own personal happiness, I know I've made the right choice. I'm with someone now who doesn't even bat an eye when I say "Hey Moog just brought out a new synth." or "Oh man, they are finally bringing Invasion Of The Flesh Hunters on Blu Ray!" or "I need to make room in the fridge for some film stock." She just smiles and says "Tell me about it." or "Let me help you make room." Even when we were at a music store I needed a MIDI Solutions Rack System and was like "I'll get it later, let's go for dinner." She bought it right then and there for me and said "Now we can go to dinner."

Lighten up, Lobolives.  We're just having a little fun here.  All that I've said on this has been entirely in jest.  The fact is, I could order that ARP 2600 right now; yes, we could technically afford it, but it wouldn't be the right thing for me to do.

I've been happily married for twenty-one years, and that didn't come from doing my own thing whenever I wanted.  Marriage is about devotion to another person, and that entails significant sacrifices of one's own desires and possessions.  My wife left Ireland to marry me, and I gave almost my entire inheritance to pay for the house she liked.  That's what it takes.  When the effort is mutual, the two spouses make something very rare and beautiful.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 06:23:37 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2020, 07:23:23 PM »
there’s no sense in him releasing something that will get lost in the shuffle or won’t stand out. Would a Pro 3 really make an impact right in the current market? Would a Prophet 12 successor?

A synth company not releasing new synths because other synth companies release new synths is pretty bleak. I don't think Sequential needs to worry about getting lost in any shuffles. The Prophet X has only been around a couple years, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they go another year or so before announcing another flagship-level instrument. But I don't think they're letting anyone else determine their timeline.

I'd like to see the same thing that I've wanted to see since the Mopho Keyboard was discontinued, but Moog has been the one delivering there.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Shaw

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2020, 08:25:00 PM »
there’s no sense in him releasing something that will get lost in the shuffle or won’t stand out. Would a Pro 3 really make an impact right in the current market? Would a Prophet 12 successor?

A synth company not releasing new synths because other synth companies release new synths is pretty bleak. I don't think Sequential needs to worry about getting lost in any shuffles. The Prophet X has only been around a couple years, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they go another year or so before announcing another flagship-level instrument. But I don't think they're letting anyone else determine their timeline.

I'd like to see the same thing that I've wanted to see since the Mopho Keyboard was discontinued, but Moog has been the one delivering there.

I've never really understand the idea that Sequential would abandon a product design because of other synth releases. Primarily because a synth design is a large expenditure of R&D resources -- multiple months at minimum for sure.  To throw away those months of work without anything to show for it can be devastating to the business' bottom line.  Large manufacturers -- Roland, Yamaha, Korg -- can eat that R&D cost much more easily that a small team like Sequential.

So... I agree.  The only person determining the Sequential timeline is likely Dave Smith.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2020, 08:48:22 PM »

So... I agree.  The only person determining the Sequential timeline is likely Dave Smith.

Yes, and Dave and his staff have prided themselves on the fact for years.  They seem determined to enjoy what they do, and not let the business aspects spoil it too much.  Plus, they can always count on some company loyalty.

Shaw

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2020, 05:56:27 AM »
Nord Wave 2, $2699 on Sweetwater — https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NordWave2--nord-nord-wave-2-wavetable-and-fm-synthesizer

... and the keybed looks like an improvement over the Lead 4 / A1 cheapnis.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2020, 07:16:23 AM »
Nord Wave 2, $2699 on Sweetwater — https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NordWave2--nord-nord-wave-2-wavetable-and-fm-synthesizer

... and the keybed looks like an improvement over the Lead 4 / A1 cheapnis.

FINALLY!

I do wish it at synth action keys though.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 07:27:17 AM by LoboLives »

OceanMachine

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2020, 12:29:49 PM »
One LFO per layer for a synth like this ... ok. What are the other modulation options? Does it have true wavetabes? I know Nord makes a killing off touring musicians, but their prices/offerings makes it seem like they're living in the past. Also, they could have saved by using the TP/9s instead, which would have made more sense for what it is.

Shaw

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2020, 12:35:05 PM »
One LFO per layer for a synth like this ... ok. What are the other modulation options? Does it have true wavetabes? I know Nord makes a killing off touring musicians, but their prices/offerings makes it seem like they're living in the past. Also, they could have saved by using the TP/9s instead, which would have made more sense for what it is.
Are we certain about the keybed?  I haven't seen the spec sheet...

OceanMachine

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2020, 01:49:39 PM »
I should have edited that as speculation on my part. Looking at the specs now, it says they're semi-weighted, so it probably wouldn't make a difference in regards to what I said. Obviously they're waterfall.

OceanMachine

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2020, 04:41:23 PM »
probably wouldn't make a difference in regards to what I said.

What I mean is that replacing it with a TP/9s probably wouldn't lower the cost. I just assumed it was fully weighted at that price point... Looking at all their product pricing, it just seems like they're completely unaware of all the stiff competition they're facing these days. But hey, if people are buying up all their stuff, then more power to them.

Shaw

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 07:02:42 PM by Shaw »