NAMM 2020

Sacred Synthesis

Re: NAMM 2020
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 09:38:57 AM »
To garner that kind of response, one would think it's a VS successor ... perhaps with true wavetables and/or linear FM in conjunction with some kind of vector ofc. Could also be a Poly Evolver successor with true wavetables and maybe VCOs.

It's not impossible.  Stranger things are happening these days.  Who could have predicted the Rev2?

Shaw

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2020, 10:33:20 AM »
To garner that kind of response, one would think it's a VS successor ... perhaps with true wavetables and/or linear FM in conjunction with some kind of vector ofc. Could also be a Poly Evolver successor with true wavetables and maybe VCOs.

It's not impossible.  Stranger things are happening these days.  Who could have predicted the Rev2?
I SO hope it’s not.  My wallet needs a break from new synths. But a modern VS could be irresistible.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2020, 10:54:03 AM »

I SO hope it’s not.  My wallet needs a break from new synths. But a modern VS could be irresistible.

True.  I would be interested, though, to see what Sequential would do with a Poly Evolver Keyboard Rev2.  Now that would be some serious wallet abuse.

Shaw

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2020, 11:04:01 AM »

True.  I would be interested, though, to see what Sequential would do with a Poly Evolver Keyboard Rev2.  Now that would be some serious wallet abuse.
16 voice wallet abuse.... ahem... please.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2020, 04:37:30 PM »
I'm thinking next generation to the Evolver series, or a Rev3 of Prophet series would make the most sense.   

Evolver with 16 voices, improved digital engine, improved UI, improved combo/stack and modulation matrix upgrades.

Or

Prophet Rev3 with advances to more closely match capabilities of the Moog One... Improved UI, dual filter series/parallel routing, expanded effects engine, expanded mod matrix functionality, and voice modeling capabilities.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

LoboLives

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2020, 01:01:05 PM »
One can only hope...

https://youtu.be/lPEbXTk8RAk

That's probably unlikely. Not that we didn't see any larger synths in recent months and years, but I think this size would be a bit over the top in the current market, especially since you can have splits and layers with one keyboard. Plus: reissues have never been DSI's/Sequential's thing.

Well with the Prophet 10 you also have two complete keyboards at your disposal. Also there is a mode which will alternate between each of the engines for every note you play. It sounds wild when you play chords...I'd like to see that feature back.

I wouldn't say a reissue of the Prophet 10 but the idea of two Prophet-6 engines built into something like this would be incredible. Essentially I'd take two Prophet-6 modules, place them side by side with some additional controls in the middle (Stack, alternate, etc) and have two keyboards underneath. Or perhaps a single keyboard version with the lower tier as an optional add on instead of a module.

LoboLives

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2020, 01:02:32 PM »

Go big or go home. 32 voice Poly Evolver.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2020, 03:28:09 PM »

That seems to be the new modus operandi around here now, but it leaves some of us behind.  Sequential has gone from being a company that served a variety of musicians to one that is reserved only for those who have an inordinate amount of disposable income.  That's pretty frustrating for those who have long loved their sound and products, but can no longer afford them.  They could do with a little scaling back.  At this point, the Rev2 is the closest thing to the poor man's Sequential synthesizer!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 04:23:15 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2020, 03:44:09 PM »

That seems to be the new modus operandi around here now, but it leaves some of us behind.  Sequential has gone from being a company that serves a variety of musicians to one that is reserved only for those who have an inordinate amount of disposable income.  That's pretty frustrating for those who have long loved their sound and products, but can no longer afford them.  They could do with a little scaling back.  At this point, the Rev2 is the closest thing to the poor man's Sequential synthesizer!
I’m hoping a 16 voice successor to the Prophet VS with digital voices wouldn’t be as expensive — FPGA perhaps?

And it would be awesome to see the rebirth of the VS and the Korg Wavestation (in the new Wavestate) in the same year.

OceanMachine

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2020, 04:16:45 PM »
@Sacred: I think you know as well as the rest of us that the landscape is vastly different these days. What game do you suggest they play? Should they try to compete with these much larger companies with greater manufacturing capabilities? Companies that not only can, but have flooded the market with cheap gear.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 04:30:40 PM »
@Sacred: I think you know as well as the rest of us that the landscape is vastly different these days. What game do you suggest they play? Should they try to compete with these much larger companies with greater manufacturing capabilities? Companies that not only can, but have flooded the market with cheap gear.

Yes, you're right.  Times have changed and the company has had to adapt.  But I was thinking of the version approach - of offering smaller versions of the larger products.  How about a smaller version of the Rev2, say, on the scale of the Mopho x4?  I hope they do issue a successor to the Pro 2, at least.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 05:18:18 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2020, 05:34:19 PM »
The ARP 2600 is already listed on Sweetwater's website:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ARP2600--arp-2600-semi-modular-analog-synthesizer-system

I read that it's already sold out in a couple of places. Nevertheless, it's certainly a thing of beauty, particularly with those additional cases.

Shaw

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2020, 05:35:32 PM »

Yes, you're right.  Times have changed and the company has had to adapt.  But I was thinking of the version approach - of offering smaller versions of the larger products.  How about a smaller version of the Rev2, say, on the scale of the Mopho x4?  I hope they do issue a successor to the Pro 2, at least.
I highly doubt any of us want Sequential competing in Behringer’s space.  That would likely be the death of innovation...
But smaller versions of larger products... That’s a logical approach.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2020, 05:47:35 PM »
The ARP 2600 is already listed on Sweetwater's website:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ARP2600--arp-2600-semi-modular-analog-synthesizer-system

I read that it's already sold out in a couple of places. Nevertheless, it's certainly a thing of beauty, particularly with those additional cases.

I ordered all of them.  400 Arp 2600s should hit the spot.

Seriously, I have few or no synthesizer dreams left, except for an ARP.  I'd love to have an ARP.

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2020, 05:56:12 PM »

I highly doubt any of us want Sequential competing in Behringer’s space.  That would likely be the death of innovation...
But smaller versions of larger products... That’s a logical approach.

I think the Mopho x4 and the Mopho SE were the last products of that kind, meaning we haven't seen a smaller version of a larger product (module versions aside) since 2013. I somehow doubt that this development will be reversed, albeit I'm aware that there are people who would be interested in more affordable versions of larger Sequential synths. The question is: Are there enough of those people to make such a production and R&D process profitable in the current market situation? That aside, Dave has mentioned on several occasions that he has no ambition to compete with larger companies that have greater manufacturing capabilities. It makes little sense for a boutique manufacturer.

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2020, 05:58:09 PM »

Seriously, I have few or no synthesizer dreams left, except for an ARP.  I'd love to have an ARP.

;D Then go for it. This is the only chance I guess and Sweetwater has good financing plans.

Shaw

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2020, 06:08:01 PM »

;D Then go for it. This is the only chance I guess and Sweetwater has good financing plans.
Wise, sage advise.   I concur.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2020, 07:41:26 PM »
Really, now!  Tell me, guys, what do I say to my wife?  "Sweety, I need, I really need this synthesizer.  Or I'll die.  You don't want me to die of synthesizer deficiency syndrome, do you?"

Shaw

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2020, 08:04:36 PM »
Really, now!  Tell me, guys, what do I say to my wife?  "Sweety, I need, I really need this synthesizer.  Or I'll die.  You don't want me to die of synthesizer deficiency syndrome, do you?"
Yep, that sounds pretty good.

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2020, 03:57:53 AM »

No need for drama. She probably knows very well by now how much you're into music. Just tell her that an instrument has been rereleased in limited quantities you've been longing after ever since you got into synthesizers.

As for the price: While not being on the affordable side, I still don't think it's overpriced or too expensive for what you get in hardware if the built quality is anywhere close to what it looks like. The TTSH clone cost $3,400 and that was without the tolex-covered enclosure, the flightcases and the keyboard controller.