NAMM 2020

Sacred Synthesis

NAMM 2020
« on: January 09, 2020, 07:14:28 AM »
Sequential has been so very quiet this past year or so, since the release of the Prophet XL.  This is the longest period of taciturnity in my memory.  The long-time forum members will recall how excitedly chatty this period of time used to be years ago, especially on the previous forum. 

Considering that NAMM begins one week from today, I'm wondering what tidbits of information folks have picked up.  I'm presuming and hoping that a Pro 3 is about to be announced. 
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 07:16:01 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Re: NAMM 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2020, 07:53:47 AM »
I’ve been holding off on a poly purchase in the hope of there being something forthcoming, though the Pro3 moniker suggests it might be mono/paraphonic. I’m still excited.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 09:19:30 AM »
In light of the recent popularity of paraphony, I suppose we won't see another monophonic instrument, strictly speaking.  But the monophonic mode on a paraphonic instrument is fine.  I'd be happy to see Sequential return to it for one synthesizer.  Then again, perhaps they'll surprise us with something more Pro One-ish.

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2020, 03:11:23 PM »
A lot has already been announced or released in the meantime. Synths like the Hydrasynth, the Argon8 by Modal Electronics, and the Super 6 come to mind. Generally, it seems that digital hardware synths are coming back again. And as of this week Korg has been busy with announcements, particularly with regard to the Wavestate and presumably a full-sized ARP 2600 tomorrow.

And there's an ever-growing Sequential speculation thread on GS that features lots of kazoos.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:13:46 PM by Paul Dither »

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2020, 03:30:27 PM »
Leaked images of Korg's ARP 2600: https://www.matrixsynth.com/2020/01/first-demo-video-pics-of-new-korg-arp.html

A bit weird to see a brand-new ARP 2600. It's the duophonic keyboard version and it's said to feature aftertouch as well. Looks like this won't be a low bugdet instrument.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 03:33:19 PM by Paul Dither »

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2020, 03:44:13 PM »
To be honestly, I don’t expect to see a new synth at Namm from Sequential. I think the market is a bit saturated it right now and whatever else is missing from their catalog currently (Wavetable, fm, paraphony etc) are already being catered to by other synth manufacturers. Dave isn’t stupid, there’s no sense in him releasing something that will get lost in the shuffle or won’t stand out. Would a Pro 3 really make an impact right in the current market? Would a Prophet 12 successor? Or would they simply just be an afterthought. Look at Novation’s Summit. When that came out people were really interested, and then the HydraSynth came out of nowhere and stole its thunder, then the Modal Argon 8 was thrown into the mix around the same time and now Korg released the Wavestate....now the Summit suddenly just became an afterthought. Even at a music store recently I mentioned it and the rep said “I totally forgot about it.”

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 05:34:38 PM »
Well, there's certainly more competition around, but that trend has been growing over a couple of years now. With the sheer analog revival being over on a broader scale and more and more manufacturers moving into the digital or hybrid realm, niches will remain for everyone, though.

Shaw

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2020, 06:31:15 PM »

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2020, 06:58:07 PM »
Special edition? I hope that means another graffiti edition.

I'm okay with a paraphonic kazoo as well…

Shaw

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2020, 07:03:39 PM »
I'm okay with a paraphonic kazoo as well…
Ha!  ;D
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2020, 07:43:12 PM »
Hmmm it's likely the Pro 3 but not sure how that would compare to the Summit....

Unless...the Pro 3 trademark was a big swerve!

Shaw

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2020, 07:50:30 PM »
Hmmm it's likely the Pro 3 but not sure how that would compare to the Summit....

The trademark could have been a protective action... i.e. trademark a name you may continue to develop in the future as a way to protect against someone else using it.   Not a very common legal move, but you see it from time to time.

LoboLives

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 07:58:39 PM »

The trademark could have been a protective action... i.e. trademark a name you may continue to develop in the future as a way to protect against someone else using it.   Not a very common legal move, but you see it from time to time.

Very true. I've actually noticed in happen quite frequently now in the pro wrestling world. A lot of the wrestlers and companies are trademarking catchphrases, ring names, PPV names, etc

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 08:21:00 PM »
Leaked images of Korg's ARP 2600: https://www.matrixsynth.com/2020/01/first-demo-video-pics-of-new-korg-arp.html

A bit weird to see a brand-new ARP 2600. It's the duophonic keyboard version and it's said to feature aftertouch as well. Looks like this won't be a low bugdet instrument.

I'm speechless.  And it has full-sized keys.  I'm doubly speechless.  But the blue chatter claims it will have a limited run of 400 units.

And how interesting that this video should appear now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sc_jNtc80A
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:46:41 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 10:29:49 PM »

I'm speechless.  And it has full-sized keys.  I'm doubly speechless.  But the blue chatter claims it will have a limited run of 400 units.

And how interesting that this video should appear now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Sc_jNtc80A

And this one https://youtu.be/Njml1KWqtck

LoboLives

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2020, 05:35:15 AM »

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2020, 06:13:34 AM »

I figured this would call your attention. It'll be 4 grand, though. There are rumors and renderings of a smaller version around which supposedly features 37 keys and a smaller panel. The name affix "FS" might also indicate that there's going to be a scaled down and more affordable version at some point.

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2020, 06:20:20 AM »
One can only hope...

https://youtu.be/lPEbXTk8RAk

That's probably unlikely. Not that we didn't see any larger synths in recent months and years, but I think this size would be a bit over the top in the current market, especially since you can have splits and layers with one keyboard. Plus: reissues have never been DSI's/Sequential's thing.

OceanMachine

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2020, 08:50:45 AM »
To garner that kind of response, one would think it's a VS successor ... perhaps with true wavetables and/or linear FM in conjunction with some kind of vector ofc. Could also be a Poly Evolver successor with true wavetables and maybe VCOs. I don't see anything on the market like any of those, nor have I ever seen anyone attempt a knobby fully fledged FM synth (that is if it's even practical enough to do ergonomically). Also, Dave is in the business of you know, selling gear, which is predicated on having exciting (I.E. fresh) products to sell. Going over a year with nothing to show for a company that could use visibility is not the most strategic move, otherwise money is allocated elsewhere. For instance, I already pre-ordered the successor to Dave's Korg excursion, which I might have to cancel if there's actually something in the pipeline from Sequential that's as great as this Lars chap seems to think. Though for me personally, that wouldn't be a Pro-3.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 09:45:27 AM by A Thousand Eyes »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2020, 09:36:01 AM »

I figured this would call your attention. It'll be 4 grand, though.

Yeah, I figured at least $3,000.  But I'll be happy just knowing there are 400 brand new ARP 2600s somewhere out there in the world.