Key Differences / Similarities between OB-6 and OBXa

Key Differences / Similarities between OB-6 and OBXa
« on: March 16, 2016, 09:11:49 AM »
Hi guys, i've just received my OB-6 and loving it, never owned an Oberheim synth before but always loved the sound of OBxa on some of my favourite records

I'm wondering, what are the key differences between the two? I know this is 6 voice and you could have up to 8 on the OBxa

Also there seems to be a switchable 12/24db filter (2/4 pole) filter on the Xa

There's a modulation knob in the filter section on the Xa, but it looks like we can achieve the same thing in the X Mod section on the OB-6

Thanks!

Ryan

LoboLives

Re: Key Differences / Similarities between OB-6 and OBXa
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 10:15:38 AM »
Hi guys, i've just received my OB-6 and loving it, never owned an Oberheim synth before but always loved the sound of OBxa on some of my favourite records

I'm wondering, what are the key differences between the two? I know this is 6 voice and you could have up to 8 on the OBxa

There's a modulation knob in the filter section on the Xa, but it looks like we can achieve the same thing in the X Mod section on the OB-6

Thanks!

Ryan

You could also do splits and layers on the OBX and OBXa. That's why I won't go for the OB-6. It's too similar to the Prophet 6 and lacks it's own identity and oddly lacks features that made the OBX models stand out (Splits/Layers/8 Voices). I'd sooner go for a Prophet 08 than an OB-6. The brass/bass sounds are very similar to the OBX.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 08:18:25 AM »

Thanks!

Ryan

You could also do splits and layers on the OBX and OBXa. That's why I won't go for the OB-6. It's too similar to the Prophet 6 and lacks it's own identity and oddly lacks features that made the OBX models stand out (Splits/Layers/8 Voices). I'd sooner go for a Prophet 08 than an OB-6. The brass/bass sounds are very similar to the OBX.

Is there much a big difference in sound with the Obx / Xa using CEM rather than SEM?

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 08:46:29 AM »
The P08 is great, but it's not a great OB impersonator. Its not meant to be either.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:24:31 PM »
I've got an OB-Xa on my bench for a tune-up, and my own OB-6 sitting here...
First, in the oscillators: the OB-6 has continuously variable waveshapes, the Xa are switchable.
There's a mixer on the OB-6 - no mixer on the Xa.
There's a sub-oscillator on the OB-6, no such thing on the Xa.
The Xa has 12 or 24dB/oct filters; the OB-6 is 12dB all the way
OB-6 has different filter types (BP and HP, in addition to LP), the Xa is just lowpass
OB-6 has velocity and aftertouch
OB-6 has phrase sequencer
Xa has some different performance options for the levers that the OB-6 doesn't have
Xa has second (mod) LFO that the OB-6 doesn't have
OB-6 has digitally clocked analog oscillators, Xa is all analog. Detune knob set to 40% emulates the Xa's nominal tuning slop just fine.
OB-6 has built-in effects (which are simple but appropriate), none in Xa
Panning is under the hood on the Xa. On the OB-6 there's a pan Spread amount on the front panel, although I haven't gone digging yet to see if there's individual voice pan. There's also a Mono software switch if you want to go old school.
Xa has split/layer, OB-6 does not

Sonically, the OB-6 is certainly capable of playing in the same ballpark as the Xa. In the first half hour in front of the unit I was able to mimic A1 "Jump" and A3 PWM strings very easily, just for shits 'n' giggles.

I've had multiple Xa's and 8's (and still have a 4-voice and an M-12), and for studio use perhaps it'd be nice to have an OB-Xa or 8 around, but the OB-6 more than covers that sound.

YMMV, etc. But that's what I think after a half-hour with the unit. Stay tuned...

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 05:38:29 PM »
I've got an OB-Xa on my bench for a tune-up, and my own OB-6 sitting here...
First, in the oscillators: the OB-6 has continuously variable waveshapes, the Xa are switchable.
There's a mixer on the OB-6 - no mixer on the Xa.
There's a sub-oscillator on the OB-6, no such thing on the Xa.
The Xa has 12 or 24dB/oct filters; the OB-6 is 12dB all the way
OB-6 has different filter types (BP and HP, in addition to LP), the Xa is just lowpass
OB-6 has velocity and aftertouch
OB-6 has phrase sequencer
Xa has some different performance options for the levers that the OB-6 doesn't have
Xa has second (mod) LFO that the OB-6 doesn't have
OB-6 has digitally clocked analog oscillators, Xa is all analog. Detune knob set to 40% emulates the Xa's nominal tuning slop just fine.
OB-6 has built-in effects (which are simple but appropriate), none in Xa
Panning is under the hood on the Xa. On the OB-6 there's a pan Spread amount on the front panel, although I haven't gone digging yet to see if there's individual voice pan. There's also a Mono software switch if you want to go old school.
Xa has split/layer, OB-6 does not

Sonically, the OB-6 is certainly capable of playing in the same ballpark as the Xa. In the first half hour in front of the unit I was able to mimic A1 "Jump" and A3 PWM strings very easily, just for shits 'n' giggles.

I've had multiple Xa's and 8's (and still have a 4-voice and an M-12), and for studio use perhaps it'd be nice to have an OB-Xa or 8 around, but the OB-6 more than covers that sound.

YMMV, etc. But that's what I think after a half-hour with the unit. Stay tuned...
are you still of the opinion that the Ob-6 can cover most sounds of the Xa? Thanks!

Sacred Synthesis

LPF83

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 05:41:32 AM »
(video)

Be aware that "Pure Ambient Drone" (while not denying he is a nice guy and I am by no means picking on him here), well... he tends to be a bit of a click-bait factory. 
He's been known to say things like Behringer is rapidly becoming the leader in synthesis, or to post videos labeled as "reviews" of a synth, where he spends most of the time talking about ancillary philosophies that aren't even related to the synth he is supposed to be reviewing.

So, with all due respect to James, his pontification about potential upcoming Oberheim products is based only on the fact that trademarks have been registered in Tom's name, something I pointed out in another post a couple of months ago.

There could be another reason Tom is registering these names.  From a legal perspective, if an entity cannot demonstrate a reasonable attempt to defend a trademark, then they could lose all rights to it.  So it is in Tom's best interest to register the trademarks for these product names, even if only to protect them from being "owned" by Behringer or someone else one day.

Dave has said that the catalyst for the P5 reissue was an e-mail that made him aware that he should do it before someone else does... it seems fairly certain this trickled over into Tom's corner of the world.

That being said, I hope a collab with Tom on a new Oberheim product is the new secret synth Dave and crew are working on!
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 09:07:02 AM »
Yeah, I don't regard him as a reliable source, but as a curiosity.  I thought it still would be of interest to the forum, though.  Maybe it's true, but maybe it isn't.  That's just the nature of this gigantic crap shoot called the Internet.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 09:54:57 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Jonas

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 05:08:13 PM »
(video)

Dave has said that the catalyst for the P5 reissue was an e-mail that made him aware that he should do it before someone else does... it seems fairly certain this trickled over into Tom's corner of the world.

That being said, I hope a collab with Tom on a new Oberheim product is the new secret synth Dave and crew are working on!

I hope for that as well.  It appears that many people had a horrible experience with purchasing a Two Voice Pro and those who acquired one didn't get much operational help or tech support afterwards. So yeah, if Tom does do a collaboration with Sequential to get a new instrument released (hopefully an OB-Xa), it would give us all the reassurance needed for making a reliable purchase, knowing that there are enough units available, and also the comfort knowing that you'd have an amazing company and tech support there to back it up. A reissue of an OB-Xa from Oberheim would have such a huge demand that I feel there'd need to be a bigger player involved to help keep up with it all.

I hope Dave forwarded that e-mail over to Tom. The recent trademark registration for the OB-Xa appears to have awakened a fascination in me that I finally put to rest years ago, with the hope of a modern reissue of the original unit from Tom Oberheim.  ...and it's got me hounding forums and falling for click-baity videos about the subject. It's so annoying that I let myself all worked up with no solid information out there, but I'm just so charmed and enchanted by the whole idea. The best way to calm myself down about it all is to go have a session in the studio to remind myself and relax in the knowledge that I'm perfectly happy and content with my OB-6 and my other DSI / Sequential items.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 05:12:14 PM by Jonas »
DSI/Pioneer: |Tempest|PRO 2|PRO '08|OB-6|MonoEvolverKeys|MophoKeys|Toraiz AS-1|SP-16|
Oberheim: |DMX|DPX-1|Matrix 1000|

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 09:11:04 PM »
Tom didn't seem to be personally interested in pursuing the big Oberheim boards that people want.
A small scale boutique 2 voice/4 vioce thing was the plan. Something managebable in semi-retirement.
But with Sequential/DSI doing so well with the P6/OB6 and now the P5. I think the idea is to defend his IP first, then maybe do some more work with Sequential, and I am guessing by work, that would mean Dave Smith and crew doing most of the work and Tom consulting over the phone.
Behringer has really been pissing people off with their IP theft. And it's all fine to issue a cease and desist to Gearsluts or whomever. But that won't stop the actual guys who brought us polyphonic synths from doing their thing.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2020, 10:23:56 PM »
Behringer has really been pissing people off with their IP theft.

Behringer didn't steal anything. Those patents had lapsed long ago.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2020, 04:27:10 PM »
It's probably just me, but I am having a little bit of a go loving the OB6 when right below it is my 40 plus year old OB8, and my Pro3 has me all but mesmerized.  There are areas where the OB6 is leaps and bounds beyond the OB8, but the fundamental tone and vibe are so hard to beat.  Of course I run a little ping pong delay or light chorus on my OB8 to get it into the current century.  It seems like I only love one patch out of 10 on the OB6, but that just tells me I need to spend a lot of time programming and tweaking it.  Plus I don't really see the value dropping on the OB6, and OB8s just keeps going up and up on the OB8 used market.

We are living in the golden age pt2 of synthesizer development.  I've never spent so much time in my studio since I quit producing for TV some 25 years ago.  Now my old colleagues tell me stories of agency producers bringing in tracks for their spots they did themselves on their iPads.  I can't imagine making a good living in the ad world these days with every other teenager producing "tracks" in their bedrooms.   However, I DO wish I had a Kronos back in the day, if they had only been invented, I could have saved a lot of time....

LPF83

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2020, 06:17:32 PM »
It's probably just me, but I am having a little bit of a go loving the OB6 when right below it is my 40 plus year old OB8, and my Pro3 has me all but mesmerized.  There are areas where the OB6 is leaps and bounds beyond the OB8, but the fundamental tone and vibe are so hard to beat.  Of course I run a little ping pong delay or light chorus on my OB8 to get it into the current century.  It seems like I only love one patch out of 10 on the OB6, but that just tells me I need to spend a lot of time programming and tweaking it.  Plus I don't really see the value dropping on the OB6, and OB8s just keeps going up and up on the OB8 used market.

We are living in the golden age pt2 of synthesizer development.  I've never spent so much time in my studio since I quit producing for TV some 25 years ago.  Now my old colleagues tell me stories of agency producers bringing in tracks for their spots they did themselves on their iPads.  I can't imagine making a good living in the ad world these days with every other teenager producing "tracks" in their bedrooms.   However, I DO wish I had a Kronos back in the day, if they had only been invented, I could have saved a lot of time....

Agreed its turning into the golden age of synths part 2.  I loved a lot of the music during the grunge era, mid 90's etc. but it was painful to watch electronic music get crapped on during the "acoustic only" period of time.  What a crazy turnaround on that we have now!  And then, for so long we had only virtual analog, plugins, etc...  Good for certain uses but not a replacement for true analog.  Then a spate low-end monos.  Not that I have any issues with monos, but it seems only now are analog polys starting to be properly addressed again.  But good times it is!

My advice would be not to read too much into the OB-6 presets.  Get a few aftermarket soundsets that grab your ear, and get the soundtower editor to start using the "genetic offspring" features to create new patches based on what sounds good to you.  I'd give the same advice for the P6 and Rev2 actually.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC