The Official Sequential/DSI Forum

Key Differences / Similarities between OB-6 and OBXa

Key Differences / Similarities between OB-6 and OBXa
« on: March 16, 2016, 09:11:49 AM »
Hi guys, i've just received my OB-6 and loving it, never owned an Oberheim synth before but always loved the sound of OBxa on some of my favourite records

I'm wondering, what are the key differences between the two? I know this is 6 voice and you could have up to 8 on the OBxa

Also there seems to be a switchable 12/24db filter (2/4 pole) filter on the Xa

There's a modulation knob in the filter section on the Xa, but it looks like we can achieve the same thing in the X Mod section on the OB-6

Thanks!

Ryan

Re: Key Differences / Similarities between OB-6 and OBXa
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 10:15:38 AM »
Hi guys, i've just received my OB-6 and loving it, never owned an Oberheim synth before but always loved the sound of OBxa on some of my favourite records

I'm wondering, what are the key differences between the two? I know this is 6 voice and you could have up to 8 on the OBxa

There's a modulation knob in the filter section on the Xa, but it looks like we can achieve the same thing in the X Mod section on the OB-6

Thanks!

Ryan

You could also do splits and layers on the OBX and OBXa. That's why I won't go for the OB-6. It's too similar to the Prophet 6 and lacks it's own identity and oddly lacks features that made the OBX models stand out (Splits/Layers/8 Voices). I'd sooner go for a Prophet 08 than an OB-6. The brass/bass sounds are very similar to the OBX.

Prophet 6, Prophet X, Moog Sub 37, Tempest Drum Computer, Roland V Piano, Fender American Stratocaster, Roger Linn Adrenalinn iii, Origin Effects Cali76 and SlideRig compressor, ASUS Zenbook Pro Computer, Soundcraft MTK 22 Mixer, Mark Of The Unicorn Digital Performer 10 Software.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 08:18:25 AM »

Thanks!

Ryan

You could also do splits and layers on the OBX and OBXa. That's why I won't go for the OB-6. It's too similar to the Prophet 6 and lacks it's own identity and oddly lacks features that made the OBX models stand out (Splits/Layers/8 Voices). I'd sooner go for a Prophet 08 than an OB-6. The brass/bass sounds are very similar to the OBX.

Is there much a big difference in sound with the Obx / Xa using CEM rather than SEM?

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 08:46:29 AM »
The P08 is great, but it's not a great OB impersonator. Its not meant to be either.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 07:24:31 PM »
I've got an OB-Xa on my bench for a tune-up, and my own OB-6 sitting here...
First, in the oscillators: the OB-6 has continuously variable waveshapes, the Xa are switchable.
There's a mixer on the OB-6 - no mixer on the Xa.
There's a sub-oscillator on the OB-6, no such thing on the Xa.
The Xa has 12 or 24dB/oct filters; the OB-6 is 12dB all the way
OB-6 has different filter types (BP and HP, in addition to LP), the Xa is just lowpass
OB-6 has velocity and aftertouch
OB-6 has phrase sequencer
Xa has some different performance options for the levers that the OB-6 doesn't have
Xa has second (mod) LFO that the OB-6 doesn't have
OB-6 has digitally clocked analog oscillators, Xa is all analog. Detune knob set to 40% emulates the Xa's nominal tuning slop just fine.
OB-6 has built-in effects (which are simple but appropriate), none in Xa
Panning is under the hood on the Xa. On the OB-6 there's a pan Spread amount on the front panel, although I haven't gone digging yet to see if there's individual voice pan. There's also a Mono software switch if you want to go old school.
Xa has split/layer, OB-6 does not

Sonically, the OB-6 is certainly capable of playing in the same ballpark as the Xa. In the first half hour in front of the unit I was able to mimic A1 "Jump" and A3 PWM strings very easily, just for shits 'n' giggles.

I've had multiple Xa's and 8's (and still have a 4-voice and an M-12), and for studio use perhaps it'd be nice to have an OB-Xa or 8 around, but the OB-6 more than covers that sound.

YMMV, etc. But that's what I think after a half-hour with the unit. Stay tuned...

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 05:38:29 PM »
I've got an OB-Xa on my bench for a tune-up, and my own OB-6 sitting here...
First, in the oscillators: the OB-6 has continuously variable waveshapes, the Xa are switchable.
There's a mixer on the OB-6 - no mixer on the Xa.
There's a sub-oscillator on the OB-6, no such thing on the Xa.
The Xa has 12 or 24dB/oct filters; the OB-6 is 12dB all the way
OB-6 has different filter types (BP and HP, in addition to LP), the Xa is just lowpass
OB-6 has velocity and aftertouch
OB-6 has phrase sequencer
Xa has some different performance options for the levers that the OB-6 doesn't have
Xa has second (mod) LFO that the OB-6 doesn't have
OB-6 has digitally clocked analog oscillators, Xa is all analog. Detune knob set to 40% emulates the Xa's nominal tuning slop just fine.
OB-6 has built-in effects (which are simple but appropriate), none in Xa
Panning is under the hood on the Xa. On the OB-6 there's a pan Spread amount on the front panel, although I haven't gone digging yet to see if there's individual voice pan. There's also a Mono software switch if you want to go old school.
Xa has split/layer, OB-6 does not

Sonically, the OB-6 is certainly capable of playing in the same ballpark as the Xa. In the first half hour in front of the unit I was able to mimic A1 "Jump" and A3 PWM strings very easily, just for shits 'n' giggles.

I've had multiple Xa's and 8's (and still have a 4-voice and an M-12), and for studio use perhaps it'd be nice to have an OB-Xa or 8 around, but the OB-6 more than covers that sound.

YMMV, etc. But that's what I think after a half-hour with the unit. Stay tuned...
are you still of the opinion that the Ob-6 can cover most sounds of the Xa? Thanks!