Prophet Rev2 as MIDI controller

Prophet Rev2 as MIDI controller
« on: April 18, 2020, 04:51:43 AM »
Hello everybody,
I'm really new here, I just created a profile. I'm also new to music production, and have questions that might sound very basic every day ! I hope I'm posting this topic at the right place, if it's not the case don't hesitate to tell me or move it...
I bought a Rev2 a few months ago and I explore and enjoy it more and more each day.
That being said, I sometimes also use virtual instruments (Ableton / Native Instruments) in my productions, which I control either with the computer keyboard (not great), or with my Akai APC Key 25. The thing is that playing with the amazing keyboard of the Rev2 is way more comfortable... So I sometimes use it as a MIDI controller, linking it directly to my computer via USB cable.
Two days ago I was using Monark from NI, controlled by the Prophet. And I realised that it wasn't velocity sensible (though the Rev2 is of course, when controlling the intern patches of the synth).
Thus, my questions are : is it possible to control a plugin / virtual instrument with the Prophet AND have the velocity sensibility working ? Or is just that virtual instruments are basically not velocity sensible ? And would it also be possible to assign some of the knobs of the Rev2 to particular effects in the DAW ?
I know it may sound strange to use such a good synth as a controller, but to me it would be really convenient to extend its use and enjoy the pleasure of playing its keyboard while using other sounds ;-)
Thanks a lot for your advice on this.

jok3r

Re: Prophet Rev2 as MIDI controller
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 02:46:32 AM »
Only two short answers: the Rev2 transmits velocity information just fine. I would look at your plugins settings if it doesn't work.

To map any midi controller in ableton, you have to switch to the midi assignment view, by clicking the corresponding symbol in the upper right of the main window. After that you can click on any DAW parameter to get into "learn" mode. After clicking the paramter you like to control you have to move the physical midi control of your desire and ableton will recognize it. When you have all your mappings created this way, just leave the midi view and look how it works.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES