A Q&A Session with Dave Smith

dslsynth

Re: A Q&A Session with Dave Smith
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2016, 12:37:28 PM »
Excellent choice! (I might add that I grew up in the British sector.)

Oh, I love Berlin! Such an awesome city. :D
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2016, 12:57:08 PM »
Excellent choice! (I might add that I grew up in the British sector.)

You failed the geographic test though. Although there was of course a British sector in Berlin as well, the British sector I was referring to encompassed the federal states Schleswig-Holstein, Lower Saxony, North Rhine-Westphalia (which is where I'm from), and the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg.

The Funkhaus on the other hand, where the Superbooth is going to take place, was located in the Soviet sector of Berlin.

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2016, 01:10:28 PM »

It is in most parts. Gentrification is a bit bothersome here and there though.

dslsynth

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2016, 01:11:15 PM »
I did ask Roger Linn on the Linnstrument forum if he could talk to Dave about the possibility of implementing multi channel modes on their synths, no idea if he did though but fingers crossed.

I think its fair to say that it would be nice if the largest supplier of some of the best sounding polyphonic analog synthesizers would support note-per-channel modes of operation eventually now that it seems like expressive 3D controllers are finally taking off. KMI will soon publish a full sized keyboard with per note expression and ROLI already have several models on the market. Then add Eigenharp and LinnStrument not to mention SoundPlane.

Anyway the interview clearly stated that Dave is aware of the request and its a matter of deciding if and when to use the resources to implement this feature. Fingers crossed!

One thing to be aware of though is that the synthesizer modules only have a client USB/MIDI port so one would need a computer between the 3D controller and the synthesizer no matter what. Which is an argument for supporting general one-voice-per-channel modes of operation too as that have several other interesting uses.
#!/bin/sh

dslsynth

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2016, 01:19:25 PM »
You failed the geographic test though. Although there was of course a British sector in Berlin as well, the British sector I was referring to encompassed the federal states Schleswig-Holstein, Lower Saxony, North Rhine-Westphalia (which is where I'm from), and the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg.

I was suspecting that but decided to flash my geographic ignorance as a testament to being an proud engineer! ;)

Never been to Hamburg but I love Lübeck!

It is in most parts. Gentrification is a bit bothersome here and there though.

Much like what is said to have happened in Paris ages ago when the city was "reorganized".

. o O ( history lesson week )
#!/bin/sh

chysn

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2016, 06:01:49 PM »
On the top of my list is a relatively simple analog mono synth.  If DSI would produce a 44-key monophonic version of the Prophet-6, and add an LFO dedicated to vibrato, I would be really happy.

It sounds like we're waiting for more or less the same thing, with certain variances in what we're willing to give up.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2016, 10:07:19 PM »
Chysn, have you studied the Analogue Solutions synthesizers?  I've been taking a good long look at them tonight and, even though they don't fulfill all my requirements, still, they're very impressive.  And they're reasonably priced.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:11:02 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2016, 03:07:43 AM »
No! I've vaguely heard of them, but never really looked at their stuff. You're right, they are impressive.

Is it just me, or does the Leipzig-SK with the ladder filter sound almost as SEM-y as the Telemark K with the SEM filter? It's a sound that I have sort of mixed feelings about. On the one hand, boy, it takes me back to stuff I used to listen to a lot. On the other hand, it's overpowering, and I worry about aural fatigue; I just couldn't listen to it constantly for years. That filter sound is why I'd prefer a monosynth based on the Prophet 6 over one based on the OB-6.

I think that if I was the kind of guy with a roomful of synths, something like the Telemark would be right at home.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2016, 11:10:52 AM »
It's funny that you mention the Telemark. Years ago, my search for it led me to Noisebug and eventually to buying a Prophet '08 they had on offer as a post-NAMM deal. *End of anecdote*