Play List Structure Question

Play List Structure Question
« on: December 20, 2019, 12:58:23 AM »
Hi,

This may be a bit of a dumb question, but I would be interested in different opinions, and I am interested in this in ensuring that I correctly implement the visualisation of Play Lists within the Prophet X Librarian program that I am writing.

As play lists are described on Page 83 of the Prophet X manual:
  • There are 10 sets;
  • There are 4 lists in a set;
  • There are 4 programs in a list.

However, I get confused, when investigating them on the Prophet X as implemented/delivered and the User Interface (UI), because the UI has Soft Knob 3 selecting a LIST and Soft Knob 4 selecting a SET - which logically seems the wrong way around to me if you follow the description in the manual. From the manual's description, I would expect (assuming a logical left to right flow) SET to be on Soft Knob 3 and LIST on Soft Knob 4.

On top of this, the default programming of the programs in the play list as delivered implies the LIST is the primary object and SETs exist under them.

So, I get confused as to whether or not:
  • A Play List is 10 sets of 4 lists (as per manual);
  • A Play List is 4 lists of 10 sets (as implied by UI and default programming of programs.

Opinions are invited. :)
Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

Re: Play List Structure Question
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 12:13:17 AM »
Hi,

I'll answer my own question :) . I spotted a bug in the Prophet X UI for play lists (Banks U1-U4, F1-F4, A1-A4 are currently labelled U1-U12), so whilst reporting it, I also asked the question posed above to Sequential Tech Support, and this is their response

The manual is correct that there are 10 sets, with 4 lists in a set, and 4 programs within each list. This is the same implementation as our other instruments with the playlist function and the soft params are arranged in the same manner.

I think we decided to keep the SET on the right most soft knob as it is more easily accessible when playing and gives one the option to quickly select between 40 programs rather than 16.
Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!