BBC sound effects library made available

BBC sound effects library made available
« on: December 10, 2019, 01:14:45 PM »
Might be of particular interest to any Prophet X owners but I’m sure many will find uses for this. The BBC has made its vast catalogue of sound effects freely available in WAV format. 16,000 sounds:
http://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk/

Re: BBC sound effects library made available
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 12:26:20 PM »
Great resource, thanks.

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 03:44:59 PM »
Great resource, thanks.

You’re welcome. I’m interested to see what folks come up with.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 08:15:44 PM »
Great resource, thanks.

You’re welcome. I’m interested to see what folks come up with.

Yes thank you very much for bring that to our attention.

On the first page alone one can make some stand-alone ambient soundscape compositions by merely playing three of the longer samples at once.  (I really should install at least Audacity onto this pc to capture moments like that!)

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 08:56:51 AM »
I found this some moons ago, but it had a very strict Copyright (i.e. you can only use it privately)
Has that changed? 8)

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 09:10:28 AM »
I found this some moons ago, but it had a very strict Copyright (i.e. you can only use it privately)
Has that changed? 8)

I guess it has changed as the post I made was shortly after some kind of relaunch. (Not 100% certain though as I haven't used it myself, but they seemed to be touting the "free" aspect.)

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 10:51:43 PM »
Has that changed? 8)

I guess it has changed as the post I made was shortly after some kind of relaunch. (Not 100% certain though as I haven't used it myself, but they seemed to be touting the "free" aspect.)

Checking the detail at the top of the page it states: "These 16,000 BBC Sound Effects are made available by the BBC in WAV format to download for use under the terms of the RemArc Licence. The Sound Effects are BBC copyright, but they may be used for personal, educational or research purposes, as detailed in the license."

Having a squiz through the RemArc Licence, it is fairly liberal, with rather reasonable conditions of use.  I'm left thinking that if you are using them for advertising, television, movies or any other sort of commercial use, it's best to use the contact email to enquire just how "free" the samples are for you to use.

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2020, 10:02:36 AM »
Honestly, if you manipulate the samples enough, there should be no issue.