Using Soundtower app to edit sequences

Using Soundtower app to edit sequences
« on: November 17, 2019, 07:11:58 PM »
Has anyone had any luck using the Soundtower editor when it comes to the OB-6 sequencer?  I can connect to it and edit notes fine, but no matter what I do I can't get them to save back to OB-6.  Send Patch to OB-6 via the editor, hitting save+preset location on the OB-6 itself, nada.  Any time I changes patches on the OB-6 and then go back to the one I was editing, the original notes reappear and my changes are gone. 

I've reached out to the Soundtower folks to make sure I'm not missing something super simple, but so far no reply.  Can anyone else do it successfully?  This is literally the only issue I have, everything else works great.

Re: Using Soundtower app to edit sequences
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 04:51:41 AM »
I tried a few times and got frustrated quick. Really don't use the editor much anymore at all.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 04:53:36 AM by RobustAmerican »

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 06:40:01 AM »
I really like the editor normally, like I said it works fine for me for everything else I need to do.  Just can't edit sequences, booo.

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 02:03:40 PM »
I guess I should clarify a little. The sequence editing was the only thing I had frustrations with as well. I record the sequences in manually and sometimes there's a bum note or something. Trying to fix that one note in the editor and re-save got me nowhere. On the flip side of that, the sequencer work flow is now part of my being.

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 03:40:27 PM »
Ok, that makes more sense, thanks.

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2019, 12:58:24 PM »
Has anyone had any luck using the Soundtower editor when it comes to the OB-6 sequencer?  I can connect to it and edit notes fine, but no matter what I do I can't get them to save back to OB-6.  Send Patch to OB-6 via the editor, hitting save+preset location on the OB-6 itself, nada.  Any time I changes patches on the OB-6 and then go back to the one I was editing, the original notes reappear and my changes are gone. 

I've reached out to the Soundtower folks to make sure I'm not missing something super simple, but so far no reply.  Can anyone else do it successfully?  This is literally the only issue I have, everything else works great.
I had the same frustration with the sequencer and gave up...I bought an Arturia Keystep which does polyphonic sequencing (probably the best $100 I've spent in my studio)...both the input and the editing of sequences is far superior. It drives the OB-6 fine and ports directly into Reaper if I want.

I have connected a couple of times with Soundtower, but it took multiple weeks each time...I feel your pain

My biggest frustration with the Soundtower editor is how easy it is to wipe patches on the OB-6. If you don't <Import> a bank before you click on anything in the library, the patches you click on get overwritten...
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 10:30:12 PM »

I just got both the OB-6 and Soundtower today, so naturally I'm stumbling around in the dark and ended up here. I am able to make the stand-alone editor work for editing sequences, but not the plug-in. Using the stand-alone, all changes to the sequence are sync'd live to the OB-6, thereby modifying the state of the OB-6 in more or less realtime. So, after you make edits in the stand-alone editor, just be sure to "write" the changes to a preset slot on the unit. But, again, this simply doesn't work for me in the plug-in version, which has various problem too numerous to get into.

Cheers

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 11:49:38 PM »
I don't even have the plug in version, I only use the standalone version.  You're saying that if you write the preset, select another one, then reselect the written one the changes are still there?

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 12:32:08 AM »
I don't even have the plug in version, I only use the standalone version.  You're saying that if you write the preset, select another one, then reselect the written one the changes are still there?

Yes, btw I'm using OB-6 Sound Editor version 1.9.8 on macOS version 10.15.1. When I edit the sequence in the editor while it's playing, I can hear the changes right away. So doesn't it make sense that if you save/write those changes on the OB-6 to a preset, that they will be preserved?

EDIT: should also say I'm using OB-6 Desktop firmware 1.5.5
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 12:37:45 AM by robertsc »

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 06:57:24 AM »
That's the issue, it works in real time just fine, the changes are just not saved.  I'm using all the same versions as you too except I'm on 1.5.8, weird.

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2019, 06:16:56 PM »
I have had enough issues with the Soundtower, that I pretty much exclusively use it as a Librarian in the standalone...however, if you recognize the 'flow' of Receive/Transmit patches, it works very well for that application and was worth the price
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 07:28:57 AM »
Ok, I managed to finally get this to work.  I was missing a step in that I needed to receive the current preset after saving it on the hardware.  What was throwing me off was that the editor would update automatically to show any patches I selected on the harfdware EXCEPT when it came to the sequencer data.  That would only show correctly after doing the receive command again. 

Step 1: Receive all User Banks from OB-6 in the editor to make sure the editor has the correct and current patch data from the OB-6.
Step 2: Edit sequence data as desired.
Step 3: Transmit patch to OB-6.
Step 4: Save patch on hardware.
Step 5: Receive patch on editor to make sure sequencer data is correctly displayed.

Sweet, now I can release my new Sound Bank for the OB-6 finally!  Stay tuned....

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 09:01:05 AM »

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2024, 03:53:40 PM »
I've been experiencing a frustrating issue with the Soundtower editor when it comes to the OB-6 sequencer. While I can connect to the editor and edit notes without any problem, I can't seem to get them to save back to the OB-6 itself. Even after sending the patch to the OB-6 via the editor and hitting save+preset location on the OB-6, the changes just won't stick. It's incredibly frustrating because every time I switch patches on the OB-6 and then return to the one I was editing, the original notes reappear, and my changes are lost. I've already reached out to the Soundtower support team to see if I'm missing something obvious, but I haven't received a response yet. I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue and found a solution? It's the only problem I'm having, and everything else with the editor works perfectly fine. For more information must visit: https://apkyp.com/

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2024, 04:03:52 PM »
Sequential needs new software/firmware developers.
Soundtower is just "okay".  I have heard other complaints.

Also, this "apkyp" thing OliverNoah posted gave me a "hackerwarning" from my antistuff-software.  :(
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 04:15:49 PM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.