Piano sounds

Piano sounds
« on: November 16, 2019, 10:00:32 AM »
Hello colleagues,
can anyone give me an opinion on the piano sounds of the Prophet X? how they are compared to piano sounds of a Yamaha Montage or of a Roland V piano? for me it's very important the have an authentic/real piano sound in my keyboard

Also, I'm looking for a serious modern synth/sampler similar to the Roland V-Synth Gt and I guess that the Prophet X can beat the V Synth, or not?

I found a Prophet X used at a good price and I have to make a decision : the Prophet X or the Yamaha Montage..
my requirement is to have a versatile synth/key with creative possibilities

I hope you can help me in the right choice,
Thank you so much

LoboLives

Re: Piano sounds
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 11:26:12 AM »
I've used the PX 1920's Steinway sample as my "go to" Grand Piano sound for most of my recent work. The uprights and others (including scrapped and taped piano) are quite good as well. It's best to layer the samples with a sine wave for extra oomph. I've stopped playing my V Piano in my compositions.

As far as your decision goes, it's entirely two different approaches and two different instruments. One is a workstation synth with multiple engines and based around a large touch screen and menus while the other is a synth with next to no menu diving, knob per function interface and is based around using high quality samples and manipulating them to create new sounds.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 02:26:38 PM »
I find the 1928 piano gets oddly muffled at even moderate volumes, but it certainly depends on how you plan to use it.  With the addition of the “9000 foot” grand piano (downloadable in Prophet X format from the pianobook.co.uk project site), I find I now have a perfectly serviceable option.  I wouldn’t say the Prophet X is my go-to option for piano, but it’s great to have a piano sample that I enjoy playing and can recommend.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 12:24:56 PM »
Hi,

Piano sounds are very subjective , so my best recommendation is for you to try both keyboards out. One of my favourite piano sounds is still my trusty Yamaha EX5R and the stereo piano sound which really cuts through a mix when you are doing rock. In keyboard form the best piano sound I have heard remains my Korg Kronos and its acoustic  SGX2 piano engine (streamed, unlooped samples with sympathetic string resonance modelling). But Pianoteq in VST form beats it on some things. It really depends on what you want.

I can't comment on the Roland, but I have both a Montage 7 and and the Prophet X, and I would say that if you want a very general all around board with very good expressive pianos and loads of other realistic sounds, then I think I would recommend the Montage. It's analog synth sounds are pretty good as well. Not quite in the same league as Yamaha's AN modelling in my EX5 and AN1x, but the Montage is very SY77 like to me in that the combination of the AWM and FM engines  give you a huge amount of flexibility and can sound very organic - more than you would expect from a digital synth.

If you want a very deep analog synth that can also process sound samples, then it's the Prophet X.

Not sure if that helps or not.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 12:27:20 PM by Derek Cook »
Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 02:56:53 PM »
Thank you guys!!! I really appreciate all your advices.
After many considerations and personal thoughts, I decided that for the moment I will choose a cheaper MODX and then I'll add a Roland V Synth, but first I want to wait for NAMM

All my Best