What Synths do you use to compliment DSI Synthesizer? What about Waldorf Blofeld

I’m wondering what additional Synthesizer do you use to compliment DSI Synths?

I’m looking for one another Synth to pair it with my Pro2, Prophet12 and Rev2 which are my only hardware Synths. A different sonically character would be welcome...

I’m interested in Ambient, Soundscapes and in the Berlin School type of music but not in EDM music!

Because I’m running out of space I’m mainly interested in a Desktop module if possible.

Since I’m in the market, I came across the Waldorf Blofeld. Love the idea I would be able to add up to 24 voices multitimbral on maximal 16 additional channels. I know the Blofeld is quite old but also quite cheap. Theoretically a Blofeld would be perfect...

I’m using a Squarp Pyramid II Sequencer.

What do you think? Which Synthesizer you would pair with your DSI Synths for ambient style music?
What do you think about the Roland and Korg devices? Novation Peak? What do you use already and why?

Any recommendations and thoughts are appreciated and welcome!
Thank you!

Many greetings from Berlin!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 12:47:39 PM by Chandro Ji »
DSI Pro2, Prophet 12 and Prophet Rev2 Keyboards, Waldorf Blofeld, Elektron Analog Four, Digitone, Analog Four, Synthstrom Deluge, Roli Seaboard
iPad Pro, Auria Pro, FabFilters, Eventide Blackhole and more great music apps. :)

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
I’m wondering what additional Synthesizer do you use to compliment DSI Synths?

I’m looking for one another Synth to pair it with my Pro2, Prophet12 and Rev2 which are my only hardware Synths. A different sonically character would be welcome...

I’m interested in Ambient, Soundscapes and in the Berlin School type of music but not in EDM music!

Because I’m running out of space I’m mainly interested in a Desktop module if possible.

Since I’m in the market, I came across the Waldorf Blofeld. Love the idea I would be able to add up to 24 voices multitimbral on maximal 16 additional channels. I know the Blofeld is quite old but also quite cheap. Theoretically a Blofeld would be perfect...

I’m using a Squarp Pyramid II Sequencer.

What do you think? Which Synthesizer you would pair with your DSI Synths for ambient style music?
What do you think about the Roland and Korg devices? Novation Peak? What do you use already and why?

Any recommendations and thoughts are appreciated and welcome!
Thank you!

Many greetings from Berlin!
I also have three Sequential (DSI) synths: desktop Evolver, Prophet Rev2 and Prophet X. For the music I write, Berlin style, ambient, cinematic, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Elektron Digitone. It is relatively simple to program, has a really funky sequencer and adds a fresh different sound pallet (FM ).

I also own the Blofeld and I really love its sound and extensive modulation capabilities. The Don Solaris patches, which are available thru the Waldorf site, are amazingly good and beautiful analogue sounding. But the Blofeld is quite difficult to program from its front panel. You really need an editor and this ties you back to the PC. I must say that after I used the editor for a while, the Blofeld desktop controls became a lot easier for me to use. I needed to internalize the Blofeld architecture. Now I can move freely around the controls and get good results quickly. I don't take much advantage of the multi-timbrality of the Blofeld, this I find to cumbersome to program.

I hope this gives you some idea from my perspective. Let us know what you decide.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Thanks a lot for your reply Gerry!  :)

I’ve used a Digitakt for a few months but I never feels comfortable with the Elektron workflow. I know many people love the Elekron devices others don’t. Many Digitone YouTube performances sounds really nice but I’m afraid to buy another gear from Elektron just to find out it’s not for me. I also don’t need the Sequencer because I feel very comfortable with my powerful Squarp Pyramid Sequenzer.

The Blofeld offers more voices and can be used 16 times multitimbral. This sounds generally good for me.

Regarding the programming the Blofeld I’m afraid you are right, it’s probably not easy to find an intuitive and fast workflow from the front panel.

But honestly, it’s not my idea to build new sounds from scratch with the Blofeld. As you mentioned there are several fantastic soundbanks out there I would use. Tweaking the presets should not be a problem, I hope so. For building from scratch I would use my DSI synths. 😊

After watching several YT-Videos about the Blofeld the last two days I must say this little synth sounds very nice for just 439€ new.

But I’m open for other suggestions... 😊

P.S
Do you have the desktop or the keyboard version? Do you ever experienced issues with the knobs or encoders? Looks like many people had problems with the knobs...
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 05:31:44 AM by Chandro Ji »
DSI Pro2, Prophet 12 and Prophet Rev2 Keyboards, Waldorf Blofeld, Elektron Analog Four, Digitone, Analog Four, Synthstrom Deluge, Roli Seaboard
iPad Pro, Auria Pro, FabFilters, Eventide Blackhole and more great music apps. :)

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Thanks a lot for your reply Gerry!  :)

I’ve used a Digitakt for a few months but I never feels comfortable with the Elektron workflow. I know many people love the Elekron devices others don’t. Many Digitone YouTube performances sounds really nice but I’m afraid to buy another gear from Elektron just to find out it’s not for me. I also don’t need the Sequencer because I feel very comfortable with my powerful Squarp Pyramid Sequenzer.

The Blofeld offers more voices and can be used 16 times multitimbral. This sounds generally good for me.

Regarding the programming the Blofeld I’m afraid you are right, it’s probably not easy to find an intuitive and fast workflow from the front panel.

But honestly, it’s not my idea to build new sounds from scratch with the Blofeld. As you mentioned there are several fantastic soundbanks out there I would use. Tweaking the presets should not be a problem, I hope so. For building from scratch I would use my DSI synths. 😊

After watching several YT-Videos about the Blofeld the last two days I must say this little synth sounds very nice for just 439€ new.

But I’m open for other suggestions... 😊

P.S
Do you have the desktop or the keyboard version? Do you ever experienced issues with the knobs or encoders? Looks like many people had problems with the knobs...
I am using the Blofeld desktop. Mine still has the original encoders, buttons and knobs. I never had a problem using them. I got mine second hand about three 1/2 years ago and I was lucky indeed to get one with good quality encoders.

If you don't need the Digitone sequencer the workflow is a lot more straightforward. Designing good sounding FM sounds is really intuitive on the 'tone. It is the sequencer workflow I believe, that has a lot of people stumped. The Digitone also works very well as a sound engine only, with 4 parts each on a different MIDI channel. Actually I wasn't interested in the Elektron sequencer at all. For me the Digitone is about FM sound design. But to my surprise I did like the sequencer. Still I am waiting to get to the top of the Cirklon waiting list sometme next year. For the time being I am using the Digitone and Schrittmacher together to compose and perform with.

I think it is very much a matter of which kind of sound / sound engine you want to add to your arsenal.

I would love to hear more how you use the Squarp Pyramid and what you think of it. I do very much like the direct, hands-on approach of the Schrittmacher sequencer. For me composing and playing live is all about getting in the moment and "flow" (away from the distractions of a computer).
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

LoboLives

I’d look into the new ASM HydraSynth. They have a desktop module version as well as a keyboard version.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
Seems we are in the exact same genres, and if I was to tip you in any direction, it would be to head for some type of synthesis you do not already have, that can help you get more variety... You are well covered in wavetable and FM with your Prophet 12, and your REV2 gives you that analog oscillator tone... My tip would be to try looking into spmething that will let you use samples as sound sculpting, especially if you are into ambient... So the Blofeld actually could fit in here, as it has some 60mb of sample flash memory as well as the ability to do custom wavetables too... But there are other bets like Prophet X, Quantum or even a secondhand sampler like maybe an Emulator Ultra or some Kurzweil sampler... I can wholeheartedly recommend a V-Synth XT if you want a module... That thing will tweak samples like no other and turn anything into ambient pads with its sideband filters.

Being able to incorporate samples with organic tonality and weird voices etc. Is crucial for my ambient music, that is for sure.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

I am using the Blofeld desktop. Mine still has the original encoders, buttons and knobs. I never had a problem using them. I got mine second hand about three 1/2 years ago and I was lucky indeed to get one with good quality encoders.

Good to hear!

If you don't need the Digitone sequencer the workflow is a lot more straightforward. Designing good sounding FM sounds is really intuitive on the 'tone. It is the sequencer workflow I believe, that has a lot of people stumped. The Digitone also works very well as a sound engine only, with 4 parts each on a different MIDI channel. Actually I wasn't interested in the Elektron sequencer at all. For me the Digitone is about FM sound design.

I think it is very much a matter of which kind of sound / sound engine you want to add to your arsenal.

One day I will checkout the Digitone. Sound wise I like it from what I can hear at YT. But just 4parts can be a dealbreaker for me. But I will try and find out... 😊

I would love to hear more how you use the Squarp Pyramid and what you think of it. I do very much like the direct, hands-on approach of the Schrittmacher sequencer. For me composing and playing live is all about getting in the moment and "flow" (away from the distractions of a computer).

The Pyramid is a quite new Sequencer for me still discovering his potential.
First I love that I can handle up to 48 Midi-Channels in one single Sequencer. In my setup the first 16 Midi-Out-1 channels will be used for different hardware Synthesizer like my DSI-Synths. The Midi-Out-2 channels will be reserved for my new Blofeld. The last 16 USB-Channels I use exclusively for my iPad Instruments and FX (love my iPad and it’s capabilities)

Pyramid allows me to sequence up to 64 polyphonic tracks and up 2048 patterns in a project. Each track can have different  time signatures so polyrhythmic is not a problem. All the tracks and patterns I can organize in Sequences.

I can play and sequence in live mode (love the looping mode) or use the Step-Sequencer for notes, chords, CC and FX-Automation. The Euclid-Sequencer is also nice.

Pyramid offers 12 build in Midi-FX, very interesting...

@Gerry
Please give me some time to learn more using the pyramid, it would be a pleasure to share my experience with you!

Regarding Blofeld,
As I mentioned I got a second hand Blofeld today, for a good price, in mint condition with 2 years warranty and luckily inclusive 2 additional Soundbanks!  :)

Analog Voltage by Don Solaris
and The Best Of Analog Synth by Roberto Galli

There are any more interesting Soundsets out there which are recommend?

I’d look into the new ASM HydraSynth. They have a desktop module version as well as a keyboard version.

It’s not available right now but I watched a review by Loopop. Very interesting indeed! I will keep an eye of this very new synth!

Thanks a lot for mentioning the Hydrasynth @LoboLives!  :)

Seems we are in the exact same genres, and if I was to tip you in any direction, it would be to head for some type of synthesis you do not already have, that can help you get more variety... You are well covered in wavetable and FM with your Prophet 12, and your REV2 gives you that analog oscillator tone... My tip would be to try looking into spmething that will let you use samples as sound sculpting, especially if you are into ambient... So the Blofeld actually could fit in here, as it has some 60mb of sample flash memory as well as the ability to do custom wavetables too... But there are other bets like Prophet X, Quantum or even a secondhand sampler like maybe an Emulator Ultra or some Kurzweil sampler... I can wholeheartedly recommend a V-Synth XT if you want a module... That thing will tweak samples like no other and turn anything into ambient pads with its sideband filters.

Being able to incorporate samples with organic tonality and weird voices etc. Is crucial for my ambient music, that is for sure.

Hi @Razmo!  :)
I’ve been reading your whole Gear Rant Thread , what a challenge to find the right gear!  8)
Thanks a lot for your feedback here. I will checkout the V-Synth but first I will discover the Blofeld. Because we love the same music genre I would be happy to learn more from you. Would be nice when we keep contact!

Thanks @all!
Very appreciated your comments!

P.S.
Here is a photo from the first test drive with my new Blofeld at my office desk...

;)

« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:38:37 PM by Chandro Ji »

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
The Pyramid is a very odd sequencer to get used to.  It's very powerful but also can be rather convoluted to use.  I've actually put mine down in favour of an all Arturia sequencer landscape.  They are just too easy to use and very much performance oriented.

I've use a Blofeld with a Tetra and an Evolver, among other analogue synths (two Pulses and an MS-20).  I'm currently working with a hobbled version of my usual "everything I own is ready for use" set up, with only a Blofeld, Pulse (1), Volca Drum, Uno Drum and (the newly acquired) MicroFreak.
I think the Tetra and the Blofeld work well together as the Blofeld really does benefit from an analogue under its digital filters.  And the Tetra can sound a little muffled at times due to its 24dB filters.  The Evolver is a little less bassy than the Tetra, I prefer to use it alongside a full analogue when I use it.
The Evolver/Tetra combo is actually quite a winner.  They compliment each other very well.
In the end, Waldorf and DSI/Sequential work nicely together especially if you like lots of parameters to program with.

I’m looking for one another Synth to pair it with my Pro2, Prophet12 and Rev2 which are my only hardware Synths.

Is that not an Uno Synth on your desk?  And some TE synth thingy too?  (Silly TE with their "we're not gonna use MIDI ever!" ethic, I'd own way more than a couple of PO's if they'd just use MIDI a little bit!)

I’m looking for one another Synth to pair it with my Pro2, Prophet12 and Rev2 which are my only hardware Synths.

Is that not an Uno Synth on your desk?  And some TE synth thingy too?  (Silly TE with their "we're not gonna use MIDI ever!" ethic, I'd own way more than a couple of PO's if they'd just use MIDI a little bit!)

Thanks a lot for your input @megamarkd!

Hehe, you are absolutely right, I think I have correct myself.
Aside from my big DSI-Synths I use also some small stuff like the UNO, the Teenage Engineering OP-Z and a Synthstrom Deluge soundwise. 8)

Midi works very well with the OP-Z and the Sequencer is quite powerful controlling external gear.
Also the Deluge is a nice piece of gear and his Sequencer can control external Synths as well. At the moment, I’m going to check out all the pro and cons using different sequencers.

I was also interested in the Arturia Beatstep Pro but I can use just two monophon Sequencers. That’s the reason why I never bought one.

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.

Thanks a lot for your input @megamarkd!

Hehe, you are absolutely right, I think I have correct myself.
Aside from my big DSI-Synths I use also some small stuff like the UNO, the Teenage Engineering OP-Z and a Synthstrom Deluge soundwise. 8)

Midi works very well with the OP-Z and the Sequencer is quite powerful controlling external gear.
Also the Deluge is a nice piece of gear and his Sequencer can control external Synths as well. At the moment, I’m going to check out all the pro and cons using different sequencers.

I was also interested in the Arturia Beatstep Pro but I can use just two monophon Sequencers. That’s the reason why I never bought one.

Ah right, I was tempted by the Uno Synth but I got a MicroFreak instead :)

I didn't know the OP-Z had actual MIDI out on it and didn't require a USB MIDI host or computer, interesting.....

As for the BSP, I am a huge fan, but I have around six drum machines I think.  I tried to live with only one out, put the other four into storage and then went and bought another two, with my eye one more if I they are still on sale in three days.  BSP's super good for one-the-fly programming.  When controlling a polysyth, it's fun to run both of the mono-sequencers two it and the drum sequencer as well.  Well, I should say, if you are interested in making music that doesn't conform to standard composition forms, it's fun do such things, but you will need use your Pyramid to run other things, (or a second BSP!) ;)

Ensoniq ESQ-1 has some tasty digital glassiness which layers extremely well with the Prophet.

Kurzweil K2000R as well!

LoboLives

Personally I think the Roland System 8 is highly underrated. Especially with it's FM oscillators. That alongside a Prophet 6 or OB6 I always thought would be the perfect combination. Especially if you MIDI up an filtered analog pad from say an OB6 and a nice glassy metallic FM pad from the System 8. Even with the HydraSynth, Summit and other new digital based synths coming out these days, I'm still always drawn back to the System 8. Plastic casing and keys aside, it really has it's own unique voice and I think if you stick with the System 8 Plug Out Engine and not touch the Jupiter, or Juno ones you really start discovering new sonic textures and developing it's out sound.

jg666

I'm probably different to the rest of you as I have a couple of Yamaha digital synths in my collection  ;D  I don't really have a musical style as I'm just a hobbyist. I don't have a DAW and I can't read music, so I just like to play live in my lounge with up to 5 synths together to see what I can come up with by improvising :) I just love keyboards and the sounds that they make.

I have a Rev2 and Pro2 and compliment those with my Yamaha MOFX sometimes (mainly for the drums). I use my Yamaha MODX more though although it's mainly the FM patches that I use. My old Korg Minilogue also works well with them for certain sounds.

My sub37 has been moved upstairs as it just never seemed to fit in with the setup and I hardly use it these days.

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6