Pianobook "9000 Foot" Piano for Prophet X

Pianobook "9000 Foot" Piano for Prophet X
« on: November 03, 2019, 09:12:41 AM »
Spitfire Audio's Christian Henson started a project this year to encourage community contributions of samples to the his free pianobook.co.uk site.  One of the ones that caught my attention was a Yamaha baby grand recorded in its owners' retreat among the mountains of Colorado (hence the reference to the elevation at 9000 feet.)  It's now available for free in Prophet X form on the relevant project page.

I've added this link and a variety of others for samples prepared for the Prophet X using PXToolkit to the project's download page under the heading Downloadable Sounds.

laurentluigi

Re: Pianobook "9000 Foot" Piano for Prophet X
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 09:44:21 AM »
Hello,
I've just tried the 9000 foot Piano....
Awesome!!!!
Thanks Miss LadyGaia!!!!!

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 09:36:32 PM »
Spitfire Audio's Christian Henson started a project this year to encourage community contributions of samples to the his free pianobook.co.uk site.  One of the ones that caught my attention was a Yamaha baby grand recorded in its owners' retreat among the mountains of Colorado (hence the reference to the elevation at 9000 feet.)  It's now available for free in Prophet X form on the relevant project page.

I've added this link and a variety of others for samples prepared for the Prophet X using PXToolkit to the project's download page under the heading Downloadable Sounds.

Thank you so much for making the Prophet X community so awesome Lady Gaia! I'd really love to load your 9,000 Foot Piano presets, but I have the BlueWave presets in U4 and I would like to avoid overwriting them if I can. Are there any quick tweaks I can make to the sysex file to load into U2 instead? Much appreciated!

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 11:40:24 PM »
Thank you so much for making the Prophet X community so awesome Lady Gaia! I'd really love to load your 9,000 Foot Piano presets, but I have the BlueWave presets in U4 and I would like to avoid overwriting them if I can. Are there any quick tweaks I can make to the sysex file to load into U2 instead? Much appreciated!

If you're comfortable with a hex editor to manipulate the file directly?  Sure.  The single preset SysEx format for the Prophet X is actually documented in the manual, but for convenience here's a summary of the relevant bits:

The SysEx dump for a single preset should begin with:

F0 01 30 02 <bank> <program>

The <bank> for my original 9000ft Piano preset is 03 (User banks 1-4 are numbered 00, 01, 02, and 03 respectively.)  The <program> for my preset is 7F which corresponds to slot 128 in the bank (again, zero indexed so 00 = 1, 01 = 2, all the way to 7F (127 in hexadecimal) = 128.)  If you're confident you know what you're doing you can edit this directly and then send the altered file to your Prophet X to load it.

If all this sounds unfamiliar or you're otherwise uncomfortable with it, you can always just make a copy of the preset in bank 4, slot 128 before loading the existing piano preset, then copy that to where you want it, and copy the backup you made into 4/128 again to restore that bank to the way it was.

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 12:32:18 AM »
The other day, I posted some a quick method using xxd(1) on the command line to change the SysEx file in this post, in case that's something you're comfortable with: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3942.msg41188.html#msg41188

It's basically doing the same as what Lady Gaia describes.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 09:20:48 PM »
Thank you so much!

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2023, 07:58:36 PM »
Hello guys good evening, the download link page for the 9000 Ft piano is broken does anyone happen to have a copy? Thanks in advance!!

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2023, 03:09:35 AM »
Strange, but indeed the piano page has gone whilst the story page is still there https://www.pianobook.co.uk/stories/the-9000ft-piano/
I've contacted pianobook to see if they will put the sample back up.
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2023, 11:46:20 AM »
Update - I received the response below, and have requested contact details of the creator...

The 9000ft Piano is no longer available on Pianobook. It was removed at the request of the creator.

Regarding sharing the sample pack privately, we would suggest contacting the creator for permission.
Prophet X, Korg Modwave, Wavestate, Novation Summit, Microfreak, B2600, Akai Force, Skulpt, Uno Pro, Ableton Live and some modular

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2023, 02:52:00 PM »
Update - Christian Henson says that he'll have to make a new home for hosting his sampled pianos.

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2023, 11:04:32 AM »
Update - Christian Henson says that he'll have to make a new home for hosting his sampled pianos.

Thank you for looking into and pursuing this. Did you happen to ask about how he felt about users resharing previously downloaded versions of these samples? If that's allowable, does anyone have a copy they could privately share?

I'd like to avoid pestering him for a good he's generously shared, but I would also love a better piano on my recently acquired prophet x.

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2024, 08:00:50 AM »

Thank you for looking into and pursuing this. Did you happen to ask about how he felt about users resharing previously downloaded versions of these samples? If that's allowable, does anyone have a copy they could privately share?

I'd like to avoid pestering him for a good he's generously shared, but I would also love a better piano on my recently acquired prophet x.

Hi, I didn't ask him if we could reshare. Not sure if you have seen that he's up and running again with a new venture, kicking off with an Attic Piano https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXu4ohCvyV4&t=0s

I'm sure he'd be open to another person approaching him about the 9000ft piano - I did so via youtube originally.