OB6 or P6 to complement Pro2, Tempest and Moog Sub37

sofine

OB6 or P6 to complement Pro2, Tempest and Moog Sub37
« on: March 11, 2016, 10:40:01 AM »
Hi folks,

Well, I guess the title says it all.

I don't typically start these kind of threads but I am in a position to buy EITHER a P6 or an OB6 next week. I have a DSI PRo 2 and a sub37 on the way. I also have a tempest.

Any thoughts would be recommended.

I love the 80's sound, synthwave, TV theme, coldwave, nostalgic kind of thing - if that means anything! FM Attack, Miami Nights, Com Truise, Aeroplane, Depeche, M83, eaerly Felix Da Housecat, LRD, Todd Terje and more

THx in advance

Simon

Re: OB6 or P6 to complement Pro2, Tempest and Moog Sub37
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 11:09:38 AM »
I guess the choice should come down to the filter.

The P6 has a two pole high pass filter and a 4 pole low pass filter while the OB6 has a two pole state variable filter.

What would you like?

sofine

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 11:49:05 AM »
I guess the choice should come down to the filter.

The P6 has a two pole high pass filter and a 4 pole low pass filter while the OB6 has a two pole state variable filter.

What would you like?

Hi Bob,

Well I have a Pro2 which has a 4 pole filter, and I can run ext audio through that

I'm kind of preferring the p6 to the ob6 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_mlwh4OtKU

But I thought the OB6 would bring something different and more complementary to the table (VCO's)

I need to listen to more YT videos.

Unfortunately in Dublin I have no chance to compare the 2 in music shops.

THx for the reply

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 01:35:24 PM »
I think the second filter (2 pole) in the pro 2 is probably very similar if not the same as the OB6 filter.

P.S. I would get the OB6 :)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 02:27:25 PM »
if you could wait just a couple of weeks or so, the OB-6 videos will be hitting YouTube fast and furious any day now.

sofine

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 02:52:19 AM »
if you could wait just a couple of weeks or so, the OB-6 videos will be hitting YouTube fast and furious any day now.

Yes, I'm keeping an eye out. Head says wait, heart says go :)

sofine

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 02:52:48 AM »
I also want to add that I also have a kiwi 106 (which is a modded juno 106) which I know is useful for the type of music I've referenced, but I was considering selling that, as I have limited space in my room.

Could either the P6 or OB6 cover most of the beautiful 106 sound? I know they both offer so much more than the 106 so I'm prepared to make a small sacrifice of that sound (the old warm warbly drifty pad sound - rather than the juno filter donk or bass sound)

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2016, 02:32:15 PM »
Always follow your head.  Hearts are nothing but trouble!

LeVo

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 03:02:16 AM »
I think either can get those Juno ish pads.... I find fairly basic p6 sounds if subtle remind me of those warmly pads (not the same). I find the p6 layout/design is good for reminding you how beautiful a basic sound can be before considering adding more harmonics etc....

All in all tho online demos you've probably rinsed give a good overall feel of what it can do.... I guess if there your thing you will be in love hands on but if your on the fence maybe not....  It seems its possible to program similar patches on both but I guess hands on is where you will really taste the different flavors. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 03:26:59 AM by LeVo »

LeVo

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 03:25:42 AM »
This was the demo that helped me decide and tells a lot about P6s potential for pad programming.... :o

http://youtu.be/KtjcMp2tqpc

I change my mind all the time but never change my heart. :)

sofine

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 05:04:18 AM »
Head and heart seems to push me towards the prophet 6 rather than the OB6.

I've listened to pretty much all YT vids and Soundcloud samples out there and I find the Prophet 6 more interesting, connects with me in a better way for me. I appreciate that there will be more OB6 videos out there soon that may connect with me too, but for now, I think I'm leaning towards the Prophet 6.

Thanks for all your great comments guys. We're lucky to be faced with these "problems" :)

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 06:38:07 AM »
Late reply, sorry. Basically both would complement your existing rig just fine. I personally own a Pro 2, a Sub 37, and a Prophet-6. Each of both would provide you with different oscillators and different filter options. Although the state variable filters of the Pro 2 and the OB-6 are not exactly the same, they might be somewhat closer to each other than the filter pairs of the Pro 2, the Prophet-6, and the Tempest. So I would say filter-wise you might get a little bit more variety with the Prophet-6, but then its oscillators also differ from those of the OB-6. Ultimately, of course, only a side by side comparison can help. Whatever way you go though, it'll offer you new sonic variety.

sofine

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 06:56:28 AM »
Late reply, sorry. Basically both would complement your existing rig just fine. I personally own a Pro 2, a Sub 37, and a Prophet-6. Each of both would provide you with different oscillators and different filter options. Although the state variable filters of the Pro 2 and the OB-6 are not exactly the same, they might be somewhat closer to each other than the filter pairs of the Pro 2, the Prophet-6, and the Tempest. So I would say filter-wise you might get a little bit more variety with the Prophet-6, but then its oscillators also differ from those of the OB-6. Ultimately, of course, only a side by side comparison can help. Whatever way you go though, it'll offer you new sonic variety.

Paul,

Thanks for your words of wisdom! Your Pro2 videos helped push me over the edge on the Pro 2 :)

I'll be making a decision early this coming week, very much leaning towards the P6.

Cheers

Simon

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 06:59:54 AM »
Paul,

Thanks for your words of wisdom! Your Pro2 videos helped push me over the edge on the Pro 2 :)

Oh, thanks! - I will tell DSI that I'm expecting a check in the mail.  ;D

I'll be making a decision early this coming week, very much leaning towards the P6.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed either way.

sofine

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 11:35:42 AM »
Paul,

Oh, thanks! - I will tell DSI that I'm expecting a check in the mail.  ;D

I'm sure you won't be disappointed either way.

Paul, if you have the time and inclination, would you let meknow if you could repro the very first pad / key sound in this OB6 video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51cADWLdC1E

I love that kind of sound, I reckon the P6 can do it, but I'd almost buy the OB for that sound alone  8)

LoboLives

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 11:38:47 AM »
I got a Sub 37 as well and I had to make a similar decision myself. Overall I picked the Prophet 6 for a few reasons.

I'm big on film soundtracks and I noticed that Oberheim was very rarely used. Other than Terminator, Flash Gordon, Death Wish II and some Tangerine Dream (Sorcerer off the top of my head) stuff there wasn't much OBX or OBXa used on soundtracks. Most of the time it was a 4 voice Oberheim but again the main synth was a Prophet 5 even on those albums. If there was an Obi on a soundtrack there was also a Prophet...I think on Flash Gordon it was the only time I know of that one was used elusively alongside an 99 Key Grand Piano.

The rest? Prophets. Carpenter's scores from Escape From New York all the way to They Live had Prophet 5 and 10s on it, John Harrison's scores for Creepshow and Day Of The Dead had the Prophet, Tim Krog's score for The Boogeyman had a Prophet and Oberheim 4 voice as did Jay Chattaway's score for Maniac. Brad Fridel's first Terminator's score was a Prophet 10 and OBXa. Death Wish 2 had a Prophet 5 and OBXa.

So I decided that the Prophet it was based on this.

To my ears the Prophet is more percussive and sharper and cuts through the mix more. It's lush but can get dirty when needed.

The Oberheim is fuzzy and warm. Huge sounding but also slightly overwhelming. It's great for pads, leads but I feel that it's almost too loud and too powerful for the mix and I feel lacks it's own identity. It's not an Oberheim to me. It's a Prophet with an Oberheim sound. It can't do splits and layers like the old OBX's could. Ironically I found for bass and brass sounds the Prophet 8 was very similar to an Oberheim and it could do splits and layers.

You may as well wait until the module comes out and run it through a Prophet 6 or even Polychain them together. For me it's just not worth the money or the lure. I suppose that's fine for some but it's just not different enough to warrant having both for me.

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2016, 11:42:36 AM »
Paul, if you have the time and inclination, would you let meknow if you could repro the very first pad / key sound in this OB6 video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51cADWLdC1E
I love that kind of sound, I reckon the P6 can do it, but I'd almost buy the OB for that sound alone  8)

You mean the very first sound?

sofine

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2016, 12:28:35 PM »

You mean the very first sound?

Yep!

sofine

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2016, 12:58:11 PM »
I got a Sub 37 as well and I had to make a similar decision myself. Overall I picked the Prophet 6 for a few reasons.

I'm big on film soundtracks and I noticed that Oberheim was very rarely used. Other than Terminator, Flash Gordon, Death Wish II and some Tangerine Dream (Sorcerer off the top of my head) stuff there wasn't much OBX or OBXa used on soundtracks. Most of the time it was a 4 voice Oberheim but again the main synth was a Prophet 5 even on those albums. If there was an Obi on a soundtrack there was also a Prophet...I think on Flash Gordon it was the only time I know of that one was used elusively alongside an 99 Key Grand Piano.

The rest? Prophets. Carpenter's scores from Escape From New York all the way to They Live had Prophet 5 and 10s on it, John Harrison's scores for Creepshow and Day Of The Dead had the Prophet, Tim Krog's score for The Boogeyman had a Prophet and Oberheim 4 voice as did Jay Chattaway's score for Maniac. Brad Fridel's first Terminator's score was a Prophet 10 and OBXa. Death Wish 2 had a Prophet 5 and OBXa.

To my ears the Prophet is more percussive and sharper and cuts through the mix more. It's lush but can get dirty when needed.

The Oberheim is fuzzy and warm. Huge sounding but also slightly overwhelming. It's great for pads, leads but I feel that it's almost too loud and too powerful for the mix and I feel lacks it's own identity. It's not an Oberheim to me. It's a Prophet with an Oberheim sound. It can't do splits and layers like the old OBX's could. Ironically I found for bass and brass sounds the Prophet 8 was very similar to an Oberheim and it could do splits and layers.

You may as well wait until the module comes out and run it through a Prophet 6 or even Polychain them together. For me it's just not worth the money or the lure. I suppose that's fine for some but it's just not different enough to warrant having both for me.

Great response, thank you!

I was actually looking up Carpenter's gear list today per film, so this was good to reassure me!

LoboLives

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 03:55:35 PM »

Great response, thank you!

I was actually looking up Carpenter's gear list today per film, so this was good to reassure me!

No problem dude. I'm a huge Carpenter nut. I was tempted to contact Allan Howarth in hopes of recreating some Carpenter patches on my Prophet 6. No idea why Dave Smith never reached out to him to do so in the first place.

I should note the Carpenter soundtracks that were mostly pure Prophet 5 and 10 were Halloween iii and Christine (Save for the ARP sequencers in the background) . Escape From New York and Halloween II was a lot of the ARP Quadra with Prophets. His later stuff is mostly digital samplers like Emulator ii, Prophet VS with the Prophet 10 mostly doing sequencing or layering with acoustic tones via Midi.