Beta V 2.1.1

Shaw

Beta V 2.1.1
« on: October 31, 2019, 07:32:47 PM »
9. Fixed Bug: Can't modulate sample start/end unless edit sample is enabled

This is huge in my opinion and really opens up the ability to create programs making samples more expressive.  MANY thanks for making this change!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Re: Beta V 2.1.1
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 09:25:13 PM »
Indeed!  The additional 24 User Group locations for installing custom samples are also a welcome change.  I look forward to putting the new release through its paces and getting an updated PXToolkit out to support the expansion (not that it’s difficult to rename manually, but I might as well keep up with the latest release!)

laurentluigi

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 10:44:40 AM »
Hello everyone,
Can someone kindly explain me the new features of the last update!?
The definition are very short and not too simple to understand for me....!!!!

I've already send a mail to sequential but I ask everyone to maybe have a quick answer!

Thanks for eventually taking a little time for (dumb like) me ....😔
😅

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 12:58:26 PM »
If it's the slightest consolation, I'm not entirely sure what several of them do, myself, and I'm going to have to experiment.  From the release notes, the features are:

Feature: Added 24 more User Sample groups—now 32 total

This is pretty straightforward.  When preparing user samples you can now use User Group 1-32, whereas before you were restricted to User Group 1-8.  This makes it a lot easier to install a variety of sample packs from different sources.  I've updated PXToolkit to version 1.1.3 to make this easy to do at authoring time, but you can take existing downloadable samples and relocate them by renaming the appropriate directory (eg: from u03 to u31 to move what would have installed in User Group 4 to User Group 32.)

Feature: Added “Direction Follows Loop” sample modes

I'd have to make wild guesses, so I'm either going to have to confirm some hypotheses experimentally or wait for official documentation.

Feature: Mod between tempo-synced LFO values when sync enabled

I'd have to guess that with tempo sync enabled for LFO, this means that you can now use a modulation source to switch among eighth note, quarter note, half note, etc. relative to the established tempo.  That's a guess, so I'll have to experiment.

Feature: Crossfade added to forward/backward loops

Interesting.  Again, something of a guess, but when using the forward/backward loops you could get audible discontinuities because the slope of the waveform is suddenly inverted at the start and end points of the loop.  This sounds like it's intended to use the same sort of crossfade that smooths out discontinuities between the start and end in normal looping modes.

Feature: Sped up refresh of sample names following instrument load/delete

This one, thankfully, is self-explanatory.  After installing user samples there's a process whereby the Prophet X scans installed instruments before you can use them.  This process is now much faster than it used to be.

Nokki

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 04:35:47 AM »
The add on groups also were increased from 32 to 64

Since increasing this and the userbanks from 8 to 32 makes little sense with 50gb I do think we have a bigger harddrive on the horrizon

Seems logical ?

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 09:14:59 AM »
Has anyone else noticed that when loading user samples (say just one bank that was previously empty) the GUI says that it is going to overwrite a size that includes *all* of the user samples you have previously loaded? I thought that maybe this was a one-time thing, so I went ahead and included all of my user sample libraries in a single update (which takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r) and everything worked fine, but then with the next library update of one small sample set the GUI still said that I was about to replace ~26GB of samples.

I haven't been willing to try just letting the board go ahead yet, because if it *did* overwrite the incredibly awesome (but huge) Replicants library I didn't want to interrupt my flow for other 20 minutes or so to reapply it. Maybe this is just a GUI bug and it is doing the right thing in the end?

Just curious if anyone else is seeing this.

Nokki

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 11:46:33 AM »
Yes I noticed this with the new update, super confusing..

While this is the case the only eay is to calculate manually how much space you have left

Shaw

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 01:01:18 PM »
It only overwrites the bank(s) you’re loading files into... if those banks are empty, then it “overwrites” the empty space.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

blewis

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 01:31:18 PM »
In case some of you see this too...

My updated started grinding to a halt around 51%. It's taken about 5 min to get to 56%... Looks like it completed that segment and it installing now.

Kind of unsettling.

Then it gets even more unsettling...

I've rebooted after it told me to. The Sequential Prophet X screen loaded itself to 100% then just got stuck there. I'm going to leave it like that for 5min or so...

Rebooted. Same. Stuck on 100% loaded Sequential Prophet X with all LFO lights on and strips at midway from top.

Turned off. Took out the USB stick. Rebooted. Now I'm stuck in a loop. Sequential Prophet X loads, everything goes black, main OLED blinks, then it goes into an infinite loop of reloading itself.

I'm not sure, but I actually don't remember if I've ever successfully done an OS upgrade via USB on this unit.

Got to put in some overtime for work tonight. Was hoping to do a quick update and listen to some 9000ft piano. Now I have a tech support project. Drag.

blewis

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 02:24:53 PM »
Bootloader + SYSEX worked. I'm glad they have that method, but I'd like for a USB update to work on a regular basis.

Try this. Pick a VCO sample to load on both instruments. Pan hard left/right with the same sample. Now modulate the Inst1 start time with Slop 3.

Hit a chord. Hit it again. Hit it again. Hit it again.

"Life's the same, I'm moving in stereo."

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 03:56:28 PM »
The update instructions were amended to clarify that you should wait 10 seconds after the update completes and tells you to reboot.  Since you've had trouble with these updates from the start, is it possible you're just shutting down before it has a chance to flush all the changes to flash storage?  They really should change the updater to wait until the full process is complete before putting up that prompt, if it's possible.

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 08:55:35 PM »
It only overwrites the bank(s) you’re loading files into... if those banks are empty, then it “overwrites” the empty space.

The original behavior, which I haven’t tested carefully with this beta, was that it would only overwrite instruments in the affected group(s) if the newly installed instruments occupied the same group, category, and instrument number as one that was previously installed.  Other instruments in the same group would be unaffected.  This was confirmed by a Sequential engineer as intentional, so I doubt it would be changed deliberately.

This meant that the size shown to be overwritten was a pure estimate.  As far as I could tell it’s just the size of the existing instruments in the affected groups, which may or may not wind up being overwritten.

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 06:25:35 PM »
This meant that the size shown to be overwritten was a pure estimate.  As far as I could tell it’s just the size of the existing instruments in the affected groups, which may or may not wind up being overwritten.

That makes sense. But with 2.1.1 the size shown is now the size of *all* user samples, regardless of which groups they are in. This isn't the same as with the previous OS builds and the number displayed is only useful in the context where you are actually overwriting all user samples across all groups.

laurentluigi

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 12:34:07 AM »
Hello everyone
here is an answer to understand the new sample feature :

Added “Direction Follows Loop” sample modes
- This is like the forwards/reverse loop mode, with the difference that if you modulate the loop centerpoint, the playback head will jump in the same direction that the loop is going. This may be a subtle distinction from forward/reverse mode in some contexts, but has its use cases.

from Sequential.

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 07:47:39 AM »
Thanks for reaching out to get clarification.  I'll have to give some thought to where I'd use the feature, but it's nice to know for certain what it does.

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 12:38:58 PM »

I believe that is incorrect.

As far as I know, the add-on groups are still at 32 for the beta of v2.1.1.0.0. That's from parsing the Sample Name Data Dump. In v2.1.0.0.0, there were 41 groups (1 factory + 8 user + 32 add-on), now there are 65 groups (1 factory + 32 user + 32 add-on). fyi.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

drxcm

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2019, 06:26:27 PM »
Does anyone have the sysex bootloader file for the previous OS 2.1.0 ?  Can't find it anywhere.
I need to update via bootloader as I've crashed, but don't want the 2.1.1 beta just yet.

PM me if you can help! Thanks!

Nokki

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 02:05:15 AM »

As far as I know, the add-on groups are still at 32 for the beta of v2.1.1.0.0. That's from parsing the Sample Name Data Dump. In v2.1.0.0.0, there were 41 groups (1 factory + 8 user + 32 add-on), now there are 65 groups (1 factory + 32 user + 32 add-on). fyi.

I definetly have now 32 user and 64 add on groups, juat doubled checked this again - anyone else that can elaborate if this is the case since the update ? - you can see this in manage samples

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 03:16:34 PM »

I definetly have now 32 user and 64 add on groups, juat doubled checked this again - anyone else that can elaborate if this is the case since the update ? - you can see this in manage samples

On my Prophet XL running v2.1.1.0.0 beta, when looking at Global > 32. Manage Samples, I see a total of 64 groups with 32 user and 32 add-on, the last one listed as "64.  Purchased 32" with the first add-on at slot 33, "33.  Purchased 1". fyi.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

Nokki

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »

On my Prophet XL running v2.1.1.0.0 beta, when looking at Global > 32. Manage Samples, I see a total of 64 groups with 32 user and 32 add-on, the last one listed as "64.  Purchased 32" with the first add-on at slot 33, "33.  Purchased 1". fyi.

Ahh, makes sense :)