New Forum Member and Prophet X Owner

New Forum Member and Prophet X Owner
« on: October 31, 2019, 12:30:02 PM »
Hi to everybody.

Just thought I would introduce myself as a new Prophet X owner, my first Sequential synth. :)

I've only had it a few days, but so far I am quite pleased with it. I have a Yamaha Montage 7 and Korg Kronos X61 as my main boards (and a whole load of other stuff in hardware and virtual form), but for a while I have been looking to get a "knobby" analog or hybrid analog synth.

I was looking at a Novation Summit in the sub £2,000 price range, but it is selling like hot cakes in the UK with very limited stock as it keeps selling out and I couldn't find anybody with it in stock. So I started looking at other choices, including Sequential, and found by chance that BAX-Shop where heavily discounting the Prophet X, down by over £1,000 to £2,400, so I decided to seriously look at it. It was a little out of my budget, but when I make purchases like these I am in it for the long run (at least 10 years), so will stretch out if something is worth it. To be honest it was really hard finding a video/sound demo that made me go totally wow, but finally found one focusing on ambient sounds, which coupled with the very positive Sound on Sound review, made me decide to take a punt on it and order one unseen/undemoed (as BAXSHOP have a good returns policy). The other dilemma of course was which Prophet, but in the end I decided that the X better suited my needs.

I have spent most of the last few days getting it setup into the studio, getting the OS updated, programming my first sound (a signature sound from my AN1x that I use a lot), and figuring out the really arcane user sample structure (with help from posts on this forum!) to get the excellent samples available into the synth. I am really impressed with the Replicants set by Shaw, and have also loaded in Luigi's samples and the "VCO Pack". I also decided to go straight for the 8DIO P5 and T8 sample packs so that I have a Prophet on steroids. All of that gives me plenty of sonic material to explore. :)

The only downside so far is that the Prophet has had to displace my beloved AN1x in the studio ( I have space for 4 boards) until I sort something out for it. I don't use the AN1x too much these days, only for certain sounds, but I will never part with it, as, even 20 years on, it is an amazing sounding VA.

I'm from Wales, UK. I am a forum mod over on Yamaha Musicians (as you can see from my signature link, I think I like Yamaha gear ;) ). I play keyboards in Welsh Floyd, although that is on ice at present (hopefully not for too long, as it is such iconic music to play!), and also have a number of small original music side projects. I am mainly focusing on some solo ambient music right now, but will also hopefully be starting a progressive/psychedelic/ambient collaboration project soon, for which I want a good analog synth, and I think the Prophet X will fit the bill nicely there. :).

I look forward to exploring the Prophet X further and contributing to the forum where I can as I get to know it better.
Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

Re: New Forum Member and Prophet X Owner
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 12:54:27 PM »
Welcome, and thanks for introducing yourself!  Like you, I hadn’t owned a Sequential instrument until the Prophet X and I was quite taken by the concept, the core sound, and also by support from folks who work for the company.  I’m also delighted to have seen a mutually supportive community grow up around the instrument and have enjoyed playing my part.

Shaw

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 06:28:18 AM »
First, Welcome!

Second, I’ve always thought that any DSI/Sequential synth is like a gateway drug to more Sequential synths... and you’ve just started with the opioid! 

Enjoy.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 07:15:22 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes.

I've actually put a ban on myself buying anything else (at least for a while ;) ), as my studio is full, and I need to spend more time getting the best out of what I have. :)

Hope to start spending some time programming the X this week to start getting to know it. So far I am impressed with it.

One thing I will probably do some time soon is also write a librarian utility for the PX. I have tried the sound tower stuff in demo mode and while it has the features I need - it is just not for me. I write librarians for all of my other synths and want to work with the PX using the same workflow.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 07:20:31 AM by Derek Cook »
Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

laurentluigi

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 06:29:16 AM »
Hello!

Welcome on board !!!  :)

it seems that 8Dio have cut the price for all the add on (-50% !!!) for your welcome !!! :) :) :)
And for everyone of course !!!!!

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 06:13:24 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes.

I've actually put a ban on myself buying anything else (at least for a while ;) ), as my studio is full, and I need to spend more time getting the best out of what I have. :)

Hope to start spending some time programming the X this week to start getting to know it. So far I am impressed with it.

One thing I will probably do some time soon is also write a librarian utility for the PX. I have tried the sound tower stuff in demo mode and while it has the features I need - it is just not for me. I write librarians for all of my other synths and want to work with the PX using the same workflow.

Hello and welcome Derek
... you have made a good decision ... the PX is a fantastic machine ;-). If you have the librarian ready, please let us know, I am very curious. I also own the Soundtower editor, it's not that bad and in many aspects very helpful, but sometimes a bit awkward to use, especially in terms of Librarian functions. Have fun discovering
PT10/12HD, Logic X, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro
cMP 5,1 Catalina; MacBook Pro

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 01:43:48 PM »
Hello!

Welcome on board !!!  :)

it seems that 8Dio have cut the price for all the add on (-50% !!!) for your welcome !!! :) :) :)
And for everyone of course !!!!!

Rats! Now I have to pull the trigger on some of them whilst they are on offer. Might as well get the PX loaded with samples ready for the winter ;)
Regards
Derek

----------

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 01:50:51 PM »
Hello and welcome Derek
... you have made a good decision ... the PX is a fantastic machine ;-). If you have the librarian ready, please let us know, I am very curious. I also own the Soundtower editor, it's not that bad and in many aspects very helpful, but sometimes a bit awkward to use, especially in terms of Librarian functions. Have fun discovering

Yes, I will keep you posted, assuming the forum does not mind a little bit of announcing of things like this? I do sell these librarians, but for a fairly modest price, and the modest income pays for my development tools annual subscription costs and some musical goodies!

TBH, that is what I thought of the SoundTower editor. It will do the job, but it did feel awkward. To be fair to it, I am used to a particular way of working with my own software librarians (and I see no need for an editor when you have the physical interface so well laid out and accessible), so it is a subjective view biased with my own preferences.

I am on a business trip tomorrow, so, as I like to keep myself busy in the evenings (as opposed to just propping up the bar!), I have dumped the SYSEX from my PX, so I can look at its structure and start creating something.
Regards
Derek

----------

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2019, 01:32:05 AM »
Hi all! I've been on the fence for a long time on the PX but finally snapped one up on eBay. It's supposedly mint condition and I am unwrapping it when I get time tomorrow! I have a couple of quick questions please:
(1) In terms of checking the condition, I guess I will do a visual inspection and check all of the keys and pots. Is anyone aware of any particular things I should be looking out for?

(2) I fully intend to not be a preset jockey (not there's any shame in that). However I'll probably have limited time to start with. What are the factory pres that will make me say WOW - SO GLAD I BOUGHT THIS....??

Thanks!!!

Nick

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2019, 04:38:39 AM »
Hi,

Congratulations on your purchase. Not sure if there is anything specific to check for other than to ensure all pots, encoders and keys are working. Just run through them all, which is what I do on any second hand keyboard purchase.

In terms of presets that make you go wow, that is probably too subjective a subject to make any recommendations, as it depends on what you are looking for. But in 512 presets, there are probably at least a few that will do it for you. But this is one synth I have purchased very much with programming in mind. No all I need is some time, which is a little lacking at present :(
Regards
Derek

----------