Dumb Question!

Dumb Question!
« on: October 31, 2019, 07:34:59 AM »
This is probably a dumb question, but I'll go ahead and ask it anyway: is it okay to place synths on a metal surface? I mean, would the surface harm the synths in any way? I'm asking because I have very limited space to accommodate my ever-growing synth collection and I've been looking at warehouse shelving as a solution (building upwards!). The thing is, the shelves are usually made out if metal. I can't see why it would be a problem, but it is better to be overly cautious in such situations, I reckon!

jok3r

Re: Dumb Question!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »
Because basically every keyboard stand you can purchase is made out of this or that kind of metal, I don't think this should be a problem...
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 09:46:09 AM »
Thanks for the response! I did say it was a dumb question ;D ;D ;D I was just thinking about it effectively being flat sheets of metal, as opposed to arms of a keyboard stand.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 11:13:00 AM »
I doubt there will be anything to worry about from an electronic/electromagnetic standpoint.  The shelves might even give some extra shielding (which is proabably not necessary, but not harmful either).

If there are speakers in the room with the shelves, the thing I'd watch for is acoustic resonances which could cause nuisance vibrations.  Sheet metal shelves are so good at vibrating that you can even !

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 11:31:58 AM »
Most synths have either plastic or rubber feet so they will never conduct with the metal shelves anyway.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

chysn

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2019, 09:59:26 AM »
I was reading some modular forum recently, I think it was on Facebook. A guy heard a weird noise from his system and it turned out to be one end of a patch cable sitting on his metal table. So... a metal table shouldn't cause any problems, but if you ever hear a weird noise in the future, it should be the first thing you look at.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2019, 03:43:44 PM »
I was reading some modular forum recently, I think it was on Facebook. A guy heard a weird noise from his system and it turned out to be one end of a patch cable sitting on his metal table. So... a metal table shouldn't cause any problems, but if you ever hear a weird noise in the future, it should be the first thing you look at.

But if you get something like the Koma Electronik Field Kit + Expansion, a metal desk is one of your instrument's stimulants  ;D