Can't access both layers from external sequencer due to lack of program change

Hey now,

I've had the Rev2 a couple of months and enjoy it immensely. However, I'm trying out for the first time to sequence both layers from an external source. I borrowed a Prophet 12 awhile ago and could do this without any problem. Two layers, two midi channels.

While the Rev2 seems to work in a similar way - two layers, two channels - the B layer is silent. In the manual, it says I need to send a program change to the synth first to access the B layer. However, my sequencer doesn't send program changes (so yeah, it's an Analog Four MKI running the latest Elektron update which added basic but awesome midi sequencing - I'm aware it's the A4 being the odd one out here).

But yes, is this so? I can't access the B layer from an external sequencer if I can't send program changes to it? The Prophet 12 did not work this way. Does the Rev2 really work this way?

Hey now,

I've had the Rev2 a couple of months and enjoy it immensely. However, I'm trying out for the first time to sequence both layers from an external source. I borrowed a Prophet 12 awhile ago and could do this without any problem. Two layers, two midi channels.

While the Rev2 seems to work in a similar way - two layers, two channels - the B layer is silent. In the manual, it says I need to send a program change to the synth first to access the B layer. However, my sequencer doesn't send program changes (so yeah, it's an Analog Four MKI running the latest Elektron update which added basic but awesome midi sequencing - I'm aware it's the A4 being the odd one out here).

But yes, is this so? I can't access the B layer from an external sequencer if I can't send program changes to it? The Prophet 12 did not work this way. Does the Rev2 really work this way?

You need to use multi mode for this. Two channels each using its own program but only layer A is used from those.

Hey now,

You need to use multi mode for this. Two channels each using its own program but only layer A is used from those.

Ah-ha. Thanks. So Multi Mode actually offers access to two completely different patches, using the A layer from both? That makes sense. Did I get that right?

Never mind. I figured it out. It works. In the unlikely event that anyone here sequences their Rev2 with Elektron's sequencer update for the A4 and AR, you can access both layers of a patch in the Rev2 without program change. It's fiddly, but it can be done.