problems starting the arpeggiator in time when synced to external clock

Howdy,

When I have my Prophet synced to an external clock (in this case Ableton) with the clock mode set to Slave No S/S, the clock takes a moment to hit the correct value when I start playback (I can see the values on the synth rising from 120 to 140 {what my Ableton clock is set to}). This seems to mess up my arpeggiator settings, as the start signal is also triggering my first chord in Hold mode. The arpeggiated chord seems to start out of time because of this clock adjustment and is randomly off in its sequence. Is there some way to make this work? Basically, to have the correct tempo set externally before the arpeggiator starts?

Thanks!

Re: problems starting the arpeggiator in time when synced to external clock
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 11:44:39 AM »
Yeah unfortunately the arpegiator is rather a nightmare on this thing. The BEST bet is not having quantitize on and try to nail it (not at the very beginning of the clock, for the reasons you mentioned). The quantitize just locks it onto what it things is the proper time, but unless you’re recently coming from the beginning of your timeline and haven’t switched through patches, it’s so off. It’s a shame really. I’ve started using abletons arpegiator instead, but that throws clock synced LFO’s/FX out the window unfortunately.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 12:10:34 PM »
I think I just yesterday mentioned this, but yeah the arp is a bummer. I've talked to Sequential support a few times and they've confirmed that the rev2 needs to receive both clock and a MIDI start message from your DAW for anything clocked on the rev2 to play in sync (arp, sequencer, LFOs). For me, this means that the arp plays in sync if I start playback from the beginning of my Pro Tools timeline, but nowhere else (it's the only point at which Pro Tools sends a MIDI start message). And at least for me, it plays in sync even if it appears the the rev2's tempo readout takes a second to resolve the correct tempo.

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »
Howdy,

When I have my Prophet synced to an external clock (in this case Ableton) with the clock mode set to Slave No S/S, the clock takes a moment to hit the correct value when I start playback (I can see the values on the synth rising from 120 to 140 {what my Ableton clock is set to}). This seems to mess up my arpeggiator settings, as the start signal is also triggering my first chord in Hold mode. The arpeggiated chord seems to start out of time because of this clock adjustment and is randomly off in its sequence. Is there some way to make this work? Basically, to have the correct tempo set externally before the arpeggiator starts?

Thanks!

Are you using the count in clicks? They aren't just an audible reference; they send a clock message so that hardware is synced when recording starts.